Letter 1: The Journey

Letter 1: The Journey

A Chapter by The Joshua Letters

Hi. I am Joshua, and these are my letters. They are a summary of findings from my journey to discover and comprehend the truth about life’s great questions. In them I will present theories that, to my knowledge, have never been published. I hope you will enjoy.

 

Before diving in, I want to spend some time covering a few important concepts regarding the truth, because my experience is that many people don’t really know what the truth is. Let’s start by defining it.

 

The dictionary defines truth as “Reality. Things that are fact.” This is direct, but what does it mean? What is reality? What is fact? The dictionary defines these as “Reality - The world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them”; “Fact - A thing that is indisputably the case.” Combining these definitions yields: “Truth - The world or the state of things as they actually, indisputably exist. Not necessarily the way that they are perceived to be.” Straight forward, but I find it still missing something.

 

Many years back, I stumbled across a book from Mormon culture that contains a very interesting definition of truth. The book is called Doctrine and Covenants, and in it God is portrayed to be speaking and giving instruction. In the 93rd chapter, he gives his definition of truth as follows: “Truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come.”

 

Notice that this definition makes a critical distinction, that truth is “the knowledge of things…” rather than “the state of things…” Truth on any topic exists whether anyone knows it or not, but is there value in an unknown truth or only in its potential to be known? According to this definition, truth must be known in order to be “truth.” Interesting thought, and it leads us to the topic of discovery.

 

Discovery is defined in the dictionary as “The action or process of discovering or being discovered.” In other words, discovery is the process of learning something new and it happens to every person continually in one way or the other. The problem is that there is an overload of things to be discovered, more than anyone can possibly cover in a lifetime. Thus, if one hopes to discover the truth about life’s great questions, they have to be a seeker of such and a determined one at that. This is because truth by its very nature is a needle in a haystack, for it is singular while falsehood has infinite possibilities. In order to find truth, a process of identifying it is needed so that the seeker knows when they have found it and when you have not. This process I call the Circle of Truth.

 

One of the beautiful things about truth is that it is like a close-knit family where members stand with arms interwoven, forming an unbreakable circle of support for each other. Although each individual truth is singular, it is connected to other truths that are in turn connected to more. If the process of discovery is used to find a single truth and then continued to discover the surrounding truths, eventually the full circle is complete and the whole truth revealed. This is why something that is true can stand against all tests and challenges because no matter how deep you dig; all of the other surrounding truths will support it.

 

This leads to an obvious question however: How does one complete the Circle of Truth? Well, unfortunately, one doesn’t. Doing so requires the knowledge of all things, for anything less leaves the possibility that something undiscovered will arise and disprove what was thought to be true. This is why we have only theories in this life.

 

The final facet of truth I want to cover is that truth cannot change. A truth that changes was never a truth in the first place. If this were not the case, then there would be no way to ever arrive at the truth. It would be a moving target that would render useless any success in finding it, for one could not rely on it remaining true.

 

Fortunately, truth does not change and what I will present in these letters, although not the entire truth about our existence is unique and, I will show it to be well supported in the Circle of Truth.

 

Much more to come.

 

Until next time,

 

Joshua



© 2020 The Joshua Letters


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

and i hope you found all the answers to lifes questions but i believe you must ascend first

Posted 3 Years Ago


Hi Joshua,
Interesting. True. Truth is a time traveler. It is the same in all time periods. Period. I enjoyed your take on God in the Matrix world in your "Letter 6" chapter.
Not to change gears but I wanted to make a comment on time. I have studied modern philosophies that suggest that time does not exist. They are compelling arguments. If time does not exist does truth also not exist? It gets curiouser and curiouser. Good stuff Joshua. Thought provoking. Keep on writing. Earl

Posted 3 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
613
This is pretty fascinating . . . .

- Brittney

Posted 8 Years Ago


Personally philosophy isn't my thing, since it explores the abstract, so your writing comes off as confusing and hard to keep on a straight path.

To me truth is something you can't change even if you deny or forget about it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Truth subject to debate. It seems to me that truth as presented here seems faithless. That is a limitation.
What abouth a true doubt?

Posted 9 Years Ago


smart writing. I have always craved - amongst the stellar poetry here that more would write letters, novels etc - and this is intriguing. I hope to read more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the way you said that truth is singular while falsehood is not. That's actually incredibly accurate and in the most concise way. Even so, something you mentioned about truth not changing and, if it does so, must not have been truth in the first place...I do agree with this in a certain degree, but can't the idea of a truth change depending on what a person perceives it to be verses how another sees it? Like you can tell me the sky is blue, with is a fact of nature most all humans accept, but what if I, as an individual found truth in the fact that yes, the sky may be SEEN as blue but is, in fact, purple? So what you said is not false, but the someone else found another truth within the truth that was told?
I don't know. I either read too much Stephen Hawking or I just totally went Edgar Allan Poe on you with the whole "Dream within a Dream" and what I just said probably makes zero sense. Even so, I found this to be very thought provoking and captivating and I will definitely be reading on with your work. :) Well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is all so thought provoking.. A real treat for inquisitive souls.. A lot of witty stuff in here.. Um, converting these letters into diary entries might make it even better..!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Read the first letter so far and great work already! Keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is my kind of work and truly am enjoying...

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2379 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 22, 2011
Last Updated on May 24, 2020
Tags: creation of man, origin of man, truth, science, religion, quantum mechanics, cosmology


Author

The Joshua Letters
The Joshua Letters

OR



About
Who are we? What are we made of? Where did we come from? Is there a God? Answers unlike any that have ever before been presented lie within the pages of The Joshua Letters. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic