Letter 6: What if God Really Does Exist?

Letter 6: What if God Really Does Exist?

A Chapter by The Joshua Letters

In the last letter, I addressed the question “What is matter made of” under the assumption that there is a God or Gods who exist and created all things. In that letter, I stated that “if God does exist, then trying to understand life’s great questions on any other terms than His is illogical.” In this letter, I would like to go further into what I mean by that. Let’s pick up where we left off, with the analogy of the Matrix.

 

Let’s say God’s means of providing us with a chance to experience life is via a Matrix-like world and universe, where each of us (our intelligence, our consciousness, our spirit, whatever you want to call us) gets a chance to be plugged into the program, wherein we live and interact with one another and use our intelligence and free will. In theory, wouldn’t that be just like the Earth and universe we now live in? It is possible, isn’t it? So, under this assumption, I would ask, “What would be gained if the people living inside that Matrix world and universe started to explore and experiment in effort to figure out the answers to life’s great questions?” Would not such efforts only reveal information about the virtual world and universe inside the Matrix program?

 

In the analogy of the Matrix, the virtual world and universe inside of the program do not have to be like the outside world and universe where the programmer and the people plugged into the program reside. In fact, the virtual world and universe could be as different from the outside world and universe as the programmer wanted them to be. Thus, all efforts made by those individuals experiencing life inside the Matrix program to answer life’s great questions by studying their world and universe would be utterly futile because they are looking for answers that lie in the outside world and universe.

 

So, let’s apply the Matrix analogy to us. Assuming that there is a God, and that He has chosen that we gain our life experience inside a virtual creation, what comes of the day when we want to figure out the answers to life’s great questions? Well, I suppose that we would take some of the virtual elements that we find in our virtual world, and we would use them to make virtual devices such as microscopes and telescopes and particle colliders, and we would utilize them to examine the virtual layers of the earth and the fossils found therein. We would use them to peer out into the virtual universe that surrounds us. We would use them to zoom down into the virtual atomic and sub-atomic worlds that we are made of, but to what avail? Though we may learn libraries full of data, it all only represents information about the virtual world and universe we live in. Despite our best efforts, at the end of the day, we know nothing about the outside world and universe where the programmer (God) and our true selves reside.

 

Under this analogy, doesn’t the Bible scripture referenced in the previous letter make more sense: “For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? Even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.”

 

What are we made of? Let’s finally get to the answer that comes when we assume that God exists: We don’t know! However, what we do know could only be what God wants us to know in accordance with whatever He created our virtual world and universe to be. Is that anything like the world and universe where He lives? Well, only God would know.

 

I suppose that is enough for now. In the next letter, we will move on to other topics.

 

Until then, take care,

 

Joshua



© 2020 The Joshua Letters


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was interested in this letter because I also use this analogy to describe things a lot (in a slightly different way, as I mentioned my personal beliefs in another letter review). It is a bit mind boggling one of the points you made (in a good way!) and it really got me thinking, about how all the data we collect, no matter what it is, applies only to the virtual world and not the outside world or whatever lies beyond the limits of the virtual universe. Good concept! Very interesting. If you think about it like the game Sims, you can make a Sim, make him or her do research, write books, have a job… anything real people do. But they don’t break the fourth wall and learn about you!

Suggestions:

“does exist, then trying to understand” and then

Posted 9 Years Ago


Looking forward to reading the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


i like your voice in this but if the argument comes down to we only know what God wants us to know then i have to leave. if we are little hairless hamsters in a wheel, then that really sucks.


Posted 12 Years Ago


Intriguing, interesting, thought thinking. Again this reminds me of my poem Pixels. I do not really remember the movie Matrix much, just a bit. Though I do get where you are talkin' bout.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
tk
a very intriguing write. there are so many people asking the same question, and it is still unanswered. there are lots of secrets in the universe that still remain undiscovered. anyway, i do believe that God exists. i don't need eyes and ears to believe in Him, faith is all i can have... yet, it is also good to read someone's perspective about that thing.. :) you've did this very well! thanks for that riveting and thought provoking piece! :)
♥♥♥

Posted 12 Years Ago


Arhh yes, seems someone has over indulged in the complex subjects of theology, philosophy & mythology. But like all other human beings you have fallen prey to the tradition of over thinking things...anyways great writing and nice thesis.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JRB
God or gods are not dead, they were never alive, what lives is an illusion needed by humanities falling few, a sense of false security in an acceptance of guidance and protection from self. Read my writes to better understand your missing insight. Also please read my writes on religion and god/s.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nicely done! This is very understandable. It would be good for a university course for this is not only interesting, written in such a way as to engage the reader but it is also understandable, not dull, confusing and dry like so many text for college or university use.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Chitty Chitty, Bang! Bang!
Phenome-nah

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1171 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 9, 2012
Last Updated on May 24, 2020
Tags: god, religion, science, creation, evolution, origin of matter, origin of life


Author

The Joshua Letters
The Joshua Letters

OR



About
Who are we? What are we made of? Where did we come from? Is there a God? Answers unlike any that have ever before been presented lie within the pages of The Joshua Letters. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dark Secrets Dark Secrets

A Poem by Legacy