Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Little Writer
"

Robert Knight is devistated by his father's illness on top of all the other problems in his life and goes insain with grief.

"

           Things never seemed to go right for Robert Knight.  He got fired every month, got a cut in his pay every week and got his neighbors to call the police every day.

             Now, you may have gotten the wrong impression on this man.  He really was a decent kind of guy.  He just had a mind that no other living man could understand.  He remembered the accident that made his life take a turn for the worse...

 

              ...Robert was sitting in a sleek, leather chair.  Getting interviewed for a new job as a lawyer.                                  

          "Do you have any past experience with jobs concerning the law?"  the interviewer inquired.  Robert thought this was a rather needless question.  He wouldn't be sitting in this two thousand dollar chair getting an job interview for being a lawyer if he hadn't been succesful in that area of work.  And in his goverment file (which the interviewer had access to) it clearly stated that he had a masters degree and majored in law school.

             "Yes.  I have a masters degree from Harvard university and have worked as a drury on many cases."  the mention of drury duty wouldn't help him much, but he might as well throw everything he had out there.

                  After the interview was over he was told he would recieve his result within a month.  He thanked the interviewer and stepped outside.  The sun was just going down behind the hills as he made it home.  

"Honey, I'm home!" he cried as he closed the door behind him.  There was no answer.  

"George!  I got a present for you!"  Still no answer.  He put the new video game down on the desk next to the creaky stairs.  

"Jenny?"  he called out to the empty stairs.  He figured they must be out and about for dinner or something.  He decided he better call them.  Just incase.  He dialed in the number and put it to his right ear.  From his left ear he heard a ring coming from upstairs.  She never leaves her phone behind, especaily if she didn't tell me she was leaving beforehand.  He thought.  That's when he started to suspect that something was wrong.  

                      He went upstairs and found the phone lying there on his wife's bedside table.  He picked it up and looked for a message in it of any kind.  He was now very troubled.  He ran downstairs and looked everywhere for a note of some kind.  Finding nothing, he got in his car and drove to all the possible places they could be.  When he got back at about 2 O' clock, he didn't find them anywhere in the house.  

                        He assumed they were dead, and never saw them again...

    

 

            Back to Robert Knight's miserable life..  In a cramped, messy office, Robert was getting settled into a new job for the tenth time that year when the phone rang.  Robert sighed and went to pick it up.  At that moment his boss burst into his room.  “I need to talk to you!”  He said. 

            Robert glanced down at the cheap Verizon phone in his hands and the text message title.  The priority level read: "URGENT" in big red, bold letters.  He considered his options.  He could disregard his new boss’s command and pick up the phone.  Or he could take the chance that it wasn’t actually an urgent message, therefore, saving his job.                                                                                                                                                                        

          He decided that he would rather miss his nephew asking to play one of those electronic devices then lose his job again.  He put the phone down and turned to his boss.  “What was it you wanted to talk to me about?

              A few minutes before, Larry Knight was fumbling with his cell phone.  A few seconds later he found the send button.  He pressed it and a message popped up with a ding.  “Are these the settings you want?”  Larry looked it over and found something wrong with it.  He set the priority setting to urgent and pressed okay.  Another message popped up.  “You haven’t created a name for your message.  Would you like to do so?”  Larry pressed yes.  After reading the instructions a look of dismay passed over his face.  “John!  Come over here!”  The “John” in question ran down the stairs to his father’s side.  “John, can you tell me how to work this thing?”  Larry said.  John took the phone and for the next minute, taught his grandfather how to use the celllphone.  “Thanks, John.  You’re a lifesaver,” then Larry typed in “fathr urgnt” rather slowly and hit send. 

            Robert had just finished talking to his boss and decided to check the message he had dismissed before.  The message was from his brother, he realized and thought that maybe it was more urgent then he had previously suspected.  He looked at the title and suddenly it became clear that this was no message about video games.  He wasn’t sure he wanted to read it now.  But he hit read anyway.  The message read, “fathr stroke come quik.” 

That was the last straw for Robert.  He had had enough.  From his wife and kids dying and his awful habit of getting fired every month, to foreclosure, to nobody respecting his mind.  This was the end of his patience.   in a rage like none other, he ran out of his office, pushing his boss out of the way.  He ran and ran.  Out of the building, onto the street, he ran until he couldn’t run anymore.  Not knowing where he was going, not caring about his job, his life.  He ran for freedom from this nightmere.  He fell to the ground and screamed at the sky.  That stupid sun, the stupid light, his stupid boss, his stupid brother, stupid everything!  He wished it would all just turn black.  He wished everyone could know his pain.  He wished everyone were miserable little parasites.  

And so ended Robert Knight as he once was.  And so started a new Robert Knight.  One that was surrounded by darkness and hated the light.  One that hated every being on the earth.  One that would stop at nothing to make this world share his pain, his misery.  And when it all ended, he wished the world would explode and him with it.  For what was it worth to live if he didn’t have anything to care for?  And so ended all joy in Robert Knight’s heart.       



© 2011 The Little Writer


Author's Note

The Little Writer
First Version: Not edited
Second Version: Changed some sentences. Added more reasons for Robert to go mad. Improved spacing a little bit.
Third Version: Added a side story about Robert Creedy's past.
Spacing is weird on Writers Cafe.
Fourth Version: Fixed some capitalization and grammar errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an interesting piece. The last paragraph was especially gripping. It definitely seems to be leading somewhere big. As Misty said, there is a lot of potential, hopefully you keep going!

There were a few oddities here and there. The word "acces" should be access. And the phrase "masters degree in harvard university" is a little strange. I think a more proper phrase would be "masters degree FROM harvard..." etc. Also since "harvard" is a proper name, it should be capitalized.



Posted 13 Years Ago


This has potential. You have great writing instincts. You need to let me help you edit this one a bit. Remind me.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 9, 2009
Last Updated on August 17, 2011
Previous Versions


Author

The Little Writer
The Little Writer

Don-Mage, WA



About
I am 12 years old. I am now rewriting my abandoned book, "The Dwen Alliance" I started out my writing life when my mother signed me up for a writing class at my co-op school. My "career" really k.. more..

Writing