Snow

Snow

A Story by Scott Lynn
"

A piece from a story I've been working on.

"

Elijah walked the streets of D.C., the slight dusting of snow hazing the world around him. Taking a right turn down F Street, he noticed a small girl staring forlornly into a shop window. She was hanging onto her mothers hand and gazing intently at a small teddy bear resting on a pedestal in the window. Smiling, Elijah placed his hand lightly on the mother’s shoulder as he passed, almost imperceptibly. As he continued down the street, he heard the mother speak softly.                  

 “Come on sweetheart, let’s get you that bear.” Thinking back to his early days, he cringed. How could he have hated and feared these beautiful creations of his Lord? Moroseness permeated his thoughts. He had done such horrible and grotesque things after the fall, and had blamed everything on the frail, defenseless children of his benevolent creator. Grimacing to himself, his thoughts turned to where the real blame lied. Lucifer, saint of deception and cardinal of lies. He had deceived them all, tricked them into thinking they were better than, and somehow outside, God’s plan. Memories flooded Elijah’s mind, mixing and swirling in his brain like the snow and lights he walked through. So lost in his reveries was he that he nearly stumbled into a man on the sidewalk. A voice like the sound of church bells on a bright spring morning lightly flowed over him.

“Is it such a time for dark thoughts and darker ruminations?” the familiar voice spoke softly. Elijah looked into the bright, cleanly shaven face of the blonde haired youth in the impeccably tailored pinstripe suit. Smiling, Elijah embraced his brother.

“Michael, I can’t believe you’re here. It’s been what, four hundred years since last I laid eyes on you?” Elijah couldn’t keep the grin off his face, not that he would ever want to. Michael laughed at the younger Angels exuberance.

“I am good brother. I trust you are keeping to the straight and narrow?” Elijah sighed and looked distantly at the rising moon. Eventually he turned to look back at his brother, and Michael saw tears brimming in Elijah’s brilliant green eyes.

“Every day I feel remorse almost to the point of despair for my actions so long ago. I see their faces, the people I utterly destroyed. I see them wherever I go. On the streets, in the shops and restaurants. I am haunted by the ghosts of my past. Michael nodded sympathetically. He had been there at the fall, had seen the devastation in Heaven and on Earth. He had personally cast Elijah out, along with the rest of the Fallen. It weighed heavily in his mind as well. Michael placed his arm around Elijah’s shoulders.

“Come brother, we have much to discuss. But first, there is something I want to show you.” Elijah looked puzzled.

“What is it?” he asked. Michael smiled again at his brother.

“You’ll see.”

© 2008 Scott Lynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

""Come brother, we have much to discuss. But first, there is something I want to show you." Elijah looked puzzled.
"What is it?" he asked. Michael smiled again at his brother.
"You'll see.""

I like the way you word this part. :]
The feeling of something much larger about to happen.


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
1 Review
Added on September 20, 2008

Author

Scott Lynn
Scott Lynn

Winchester, VA



About
I like old film, polaroids, blurred pictures, silhouettes, yellow traffic lights at 4 am, reflections in puddles, foliage, crunchy leaves, being outside, the smell of rain, autumn, the stillness that .. more..

Writing
Alaska Alaska

A Poem by Scott Lynn