Constants Becoming Variables.

Constants Becoming Variables.

A Poem by Francis Danger
"

i once fell in love while watching The Royal Tenebaums actively, and passively flipping through a copy of Infinite Jest, to impress said lady. all at once i wrote this, as if i could read our future.

"
smoke slipped past my lips as i laughed at you from across the floor when i suddenly couldn't even remember what was so funny anymore and you, you wore nothing, sprawled out leaning limp against the door like some car crash victim, half alive, half awake  and, starting to feel sore, but, there was no blood, no smoke, no fire to be sure and trust didn't hang around the insides of this apartment anymore. we were like comfortable strangers, shopping in the same record store, where we'd see each other, smile, and only browse because we were poor. old friends who never met, exchanging glances, maybe more than just missed connections, The Magnetic Fields and of course, Good Old War. now here, a few years in, number three, maybe four and you are naked, drunk, and i believe just now beginning to snore...i wanted to scream, then and there, "this is what i always swore would never, ever happen, that 'we' should become 'your'!" but those little yellow pills of yours made speaking such a chore. you would leave the shop in that tight Nirvana shirt you wore and our eyes were nervous actors against the indie music score, we were just like new strangers at the same old record store, sure we both liked the Mountain Goats, NMH and Good Old War, but instead, we both go home to the same studio second floor apartment that we shared for both years three and four. we both drink our past away, slam shut the bathroom door, we're never in the same room, at least not anymore when, as smoke signals from your mouth begin to pour, you say to me, "you goin' to bed? or just sleeping on the floor?" and i watch you leave the shop, remember the perfume that you wore, and put back that Format album, just one more thing i can't afford...

© 2013 Francis Danger


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
this is a great ramble!
could roll with it, for sure. and in it's rambling form found myself wanting more, yet even more...
great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


i like the mimetic style. It sounds so musical, so the motif of music really fits. It has sort of a Poe-like rhythm.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Francis Danger

11 Years Ago

that's sort of what i was going for, only, to make it less obvious, kept it in a prose style, to kee.. read more
It seems as though music works it's way into many a good thing. This is one of those good things, in my humble opinion.

A record store. I miss the sound of vinyl crackle audio fire. Good things.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Francis Danger

11 Years Ago

HA! thank you. i'm a big audiophile as well, and a REALLY amateur musician, so the good things come .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
3 Reviews
Added on December 18, 2012
Last Updated on January 20, 2013
Tags: rambling, poetry

Author

Francis Danger
Francis Danger

Philadelphia, PA



About
31, M. editor and creator of A Secret Machine . Com, staff writer for PA Music Scene, former editor of The Disembodied Americana. professional technologist. semi-professional writer/ artist. ama.. more..

Writing