If You Only Knew II: Nicole

If You Only Knew II: Nicole

A Story by ScarletCarson
"

Sometimes the biggest obstacle to making things right is simply one's anger.

"

 

Thank God it’s Friday! I can’t wait to just go home and relax, most likely go surfing the Net. To add to my happy mood, it’s sunny outside. I love sunny days.
 
          I shoulder my backpack as I head out of the classroom, greeting friends as I walk down the corridors, stopping for a few short conversations every once in a while with the ones I’m closer to.
 
          I stop over at the canteen to buy a bag of junk food for me to eat while I’m waiting at my grandma’s house. Finally I head out to the school gates. I see my best friend Kim waiting for her driver to arrive.
 
          “Kim!” I call out, putting down my backpack and sitting down next to her.
 
          “Hi, Nicole,” she smiles. “What’s up?”
 
          “Nothing much, just wandering around. Your driver’s not here yet?”
 
          “Yeah, but he’s coming in a bit.”
 
          We talk more about what happened to us during the day, since we only get to see each other during break time. Finally, Kim leaves, and I talk to my other friends for a few moments and get ready to go as well. My grandma might be asking about me at this point.
 
          I get out of the school gates and start walking. The world looks so awesome with the afternoon sun streaming down. I look around, taking in the homey sight of my high school. What a great place to be.
 
          My mind gets all dreamy as I scan my surroundings while I walk…until I see him.
 
          Konstantin.
 
          He’s looking right at me, and it irritates me. So I pretend to just not see him.
 
          God. He just ruined the moment. Why on earth did he have to be there? Oh, wait, yeah. He’s got this new girl now. Hmmm.
 
          Screw him! He’d been such a disloyal a*s when Teresa told me he was falling for her. How could she? That s**t. Now I know why she has that reputation in her batch as one. God! I can’t believe I befriended such a snake. And Konstantin…s**t. He dared—dared!—to make me look like a fool as much as Teresa did. That manipulative…ugh. Can’t even find a low enough word for it.
 
          He’ll pay for it. He already did. I’d said goodbye to him even if I knew he didn’t want me to. It would be better for him to feel the pain he caused me, at least so he won’t do that to other girls next time around. I wish karma would just work its magic and fall on him like thunder.
 
          I walk away as fast as I can. I don’t want him to follow me. I don’t want to even talk to him. Just to get him out of my sight.
 
          And then I feel someone’s presence beside me. “Nicole.”
 
          Great. God, why me again? Of all the girls you could victimize, why me?
 
          “What?” I say, refusing to even acknowledge him properly. You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.
 
          A short silence, and then he asks, “Need help?” the same way he always did back then when he sees me lugging my school stuff around.
 
          “No.” I quicken my pace. Please, God, get him away from me. At least give me that.
 
          “You sure?” he asks. What a persistent prick.
 
          I roll my eyes. This is getting tiring, but I throw the question back at him anyway. “Why?”
 
          He doesn’t answer for a moment and I don’t wait for one. Until he answers, “Because…I care?”
 
          Liar. Guys are all the same.
 
          I leave him standing there, focusing on my grandma’s place as if it were the finish line of a long, hard race.
 
          If only you knew. Even if I would vehemently deny it, it would always be in my subconscious, whether I like it or not. So long as my wounds haven’t healed, it’s there.
 
          I miss you.

 

© 2009 ScarletCarson


Author's Note

ScarletCarson
The If You Only Knew stories are dedicated to my very good friend Konstantin Teh, whose name he allowed me to use in the first story. :)) Thank you for everything! :D Wishing you all the best, and stay awesome. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great read. Talented in telling both sides of a story. I enjoyed reading these.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Sad but undeniably true; in circumstances like this one, only a fine line exists between love and anger- probably anger serving as a facade for a thriving love or the other way around. Anger simply becomes the biggest obstacle because it would always be in those situations when friendships, relationships and anything else in between have gone awry.

Effective usage of stream-of-consciousness; everything from the storyline to the emotions withing simply went flowing. Your story has that spark into it. Nice work. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like this. It is a nice read and well written. It described her emotions and overall, I really like it.
Great job

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ah. Very nice, I enjoyed this immensely. Very nice, it showed the emotion she was feeling. And I simply love the way it was written in general, I always have been attracted to this type of writing.
Good job writing this!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 15, 2009
Last Updated on November 19, 2009

Author

ScarletCarson
ScarletCarson

Paranaque, Philippines



About
Nikki's nineteen, materially deprived-ish, and a college student. She loves to write, and would love to finish a novel for once. She is crazy, loud, brash and really, really loves to laugh. Even at th.. more..

Writing