Derailing The American Dream

Derailing The American Dream

A Story by Tracy

Smoke factories and dirty, gray buildings amidst smog-filled cities within every five hundred mile radius amongst the manufactured, flattened fields of America. Billboards taint the borders of every highway and every side street which intersect with one another in this constantly connected world of ours. From the wires inside every drywall-covered shell to the satellites hovering above us, an advanced civilization sucking the very core of our soul out of ourselves. Advanced declination of mankind. This was the world itself as I saw it.


A projection of expectations exceeding far beyond humanly limits in this world treading upon fresh soil and surrounded by skyscrapers and man-made concrete dreams and brainwashed desires. A repetition of history dressed in fresh dry-cleaned suits and a culture which was dying before our very eyes. Even if this realization came to light, the thick-coated veil of apathy would fall onto the masses and modern civilization would decline even further as we know it. Through tired, bloodshot eyes I wearily gazed upon a dying culture of rats roaming aimlessly and apathetically in the streets. Every fabricated form of journalism and tabloid toiletry was propagated on every paper and every screen where eyes would roam and soak in verbal toxins to cleanse the mind of what truths are hidden behind guarded doors protected by drones of the highest order.


I was exhausted from living and restlessly trying to survive from becoming a part of a victimized breed of a dying world. I envisioned an apocalyptic wasteland with endless body counts, the smell of radiation in my nose, making its way down my lungs and my head hung low with shame, for I could not look up as there was nothing more than a black sky above me. Buildings burned and bridges collapsed from coast to coast across the country. Riots broke loose and the rivers ran with oil and blood. I envisioned an empire falling to its knees with every collapse that shook the earth �" mankind stepping down from the top of the food chain and back to square one again.

And as these visions appeared so real as I shut my eyes and saw the worst of it all, it was a dream slowly emerging from the depths of my mind and on the streets of every city all across America. Were the prayers for the apocalypse heading toward devolutionary fulfillment? For those who also refused to look up at the sun through rose-tinted shades, all senses and hints pointed towards a yes... we pray as we become prey amongst a world of the living dead.

© 2012 Tracy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on August 3, 2012
Last Updated on August 3, 2012
Tags: Post-apocalyptic, Urban Decay, Cities, American Culture

Author

Tracy
Tracy

Seattle, WA



About
Verbal expressionism and alchemy of the mind. Continuously furthering in the field of creative endeavors. more..

Writing
A Vision A Vision

A Story by Tracy


Chernobyl Chernobyl

A Poem by Tracy