15

15

A Story by Yes
"

Just something I wrote for a class.

"

        Sadie Hawke left the house in the usual Monday morning rush, leaving a trail of breadcrumbs in her wake and a slightly crumpled English essay on the kitchen counter and was halfway to her beaten car before she remembered. Several months ago she wouldn't have bothered to write the essay. A few months ago, she wouldn't have cared enough to hurry back to retrieve her forgotten essay.

A few months ago Sadie’s life took a turn for the better. Her parents decided to work out their problems instead of getting a divorce, her best friend started talking to her again when she realized that Sadie wasn’t hitting on her boyfriend, only being kind. Ginger, the large black cat that that Sadie rescued from the shelter had kittens, and a teacher complimented an essay that she labored over for hours. Sadie gradually started to feel good about herself and the others around her.

As a result of her optimism, Sadie started to be noticed by her classmates as a cheery and outgoing person, as opposed to that strange girl at the back of the room. Her smile was known to others, and her grades improved. She got a minor part in the school play, and began to really live

~

She entered the room, keeping to the shadows as do others with such grim intent. Quickly, she pounces upon her prey, determined and willing she tore apart her quarry. Happiness is the goal of this act of hatred. To take the life of another human being is the singular act that brings joy to one such as Felicity Saunders. Miss Lissa has spent every day for the past seven and a half years searching for a way to be happy. Unfortunately for the citizens of Farmcroft, the only happiness she has found involved shedding the blood of others.

        Felicity recently discovered her love for death when she accidentally strangled her dog, who had left a rather smelly present on the sofa. The rush of adrenaline, the feel of her fingers closing in on his windpipe, the pulse of his veins beneath her fingers gave Lissa an overwhelming feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. For the first time in her life, Felicity Saunders felt like a human being. Once or twice every week, she has found herself in a perfect situation to take another life. First it was the crushing of the windpipe of a homeless man in an alleyway, and then it progressed.

        Swiftly she evolved into a quick-thinking, barbaric killing machine, stealing the happiness of those who would no longer need it and tucking it away inside herself, waiting for the moment when the world needed her smile or a few kind words that she would have been unable to provide merely a few months ago. If the truth was not known, it would appear that she has taken a change for the better.

        Felicity's next target is Herman, the little man who runs a deli next to the school. Lissa saw Herman and his wife celebrating the birth of their first child when she was in there several days ago. One look at Herman was all she needed – this man was happy, and she had to feel that joy.

~

The school day was out, and Sadie Hawke was taking a stroll around her small neighborhood to enjoy the beautiful day. A dog barked in the distance, and a gentle breeze wafted the sweet scent of a bakery down the street. Suddenly, she saw a movement in the shadows. Curiously, Sadie peered around the corner and saw a young boy in the alley, hunched over as if in pain. She hurried to his aid, only to discover he was not quite as young as she thought. Maybe one or two years older than Sadie, this man peered up at her, the curiosity in his eyes mirroring that of hers.

Hesitantly she smiled, and extended her hand in greeting.

“Sadie Hawke” she said.

“Elvis. Nice to meet you, Sadie Hawke.”

“Elvis?” She asked, “As in the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll?”

“No,” He laughed, “Just Elvis.”

“Alrighty then, Just Elvis, how are you doing?”

“I could be better. Life’s got me down lately.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Is there anything I can do to help?”

“Why now that you mention it, there is. I could use your help. You see, I have some knowledge about a future crime that the authorities would like to know, but I can’t seem to tell them.”

“Now that seems odd. Why can’t you tell them this information about a crime?”

“I don’t have a voice.” He said cryptically.

“But I can hear you…” Sadie replied, rather confused.

“I have a voice to your ears. Nobody else seems to hear me, or see me for that matter. It’s as if I don’t really exist.”

“Why now that’s a silly thing to say. Of course you exist; I can see you and I can hear you. Just tell me what you want the authorities to know, and I’ll relay the message. Does that sound good to you?”

“It’s worth a shot.” Elvis said with a smile. “Have you heard of the Farmcroft Fourteen?”

“Yeah, the fourteen people killed here in Farmcroft. It’s making headlines nationwide.”

“Well, today it’s about to become the Farmcroft Fifteen. There is a diner next to the high school, do you know of it?”

“Yeah, I go there for lunch once in a while.”

“Well, the man who runs it is going to be the fifteenth.”

“Really? Herman is such a kind man, he and his wife just had a baby. He can’t die, it wouldn’t be fair.”

“Silly Sadie, life isn’t fair.”

~

One young women telling the police of her knowledge of a future crime, even one as heinous as murder, doesn’t always elicit an immediate response from the authorities. Unfortunately for Sadie, the only response from the police she got was laughter and disbelief when she couldn’t provide a source to her information.

“Elvis, how do you know about what’s going to happen at the diner?”

“Because I’m here to know.”

“I’m not sure I know what you mean…” Sadie replied.

“I don’t know if I can explain. I am here because it is my job. I don’t know how it all came to be, but I know that you really can’t be expected to believe it all right now… its something you really have to experience for yourself, to really know how it works. I am here to warn you of these awful things to come, and maybe save a life or two. I can’t know if what I’m doing will work, nobody can, but even if it doesn’t work out, I can know that I did my best and forgive myself. I hope that you can do the same.”

“Sorry, I’m really not understanding you.” Sadie sighed and began the short walk to her car.

“Okay,” Elvis said, a slightly disappointed look on his face, “I think I can clear it up a bit.” He paused again, thinking. “I am not like you. I mean, I’m not human anymore. I was once, but then I died. I’m here today to help you and guide you, in a sense.”

“What are you saying? Were you sent by a higher power, like an Angel sent by God?”

“Pretty much, I mean the order didn’t come from Farrah herself, but -”

“Farrah, as in Farrah Fawcett?”

“Yeah, she got elected a few weeks ago. The Nathan Birnbaum had to be removed from office after the whole Mike Jackson-Farrah Fawcett-Billy Mayes thing. That was the worst screw-up in a while, you see -”

“Who’s Nathan Birnaum?”

“Oh, you’d know him as George Burns. He played God in a movie or two, so of course he got the job because of ‘past experience.’ Silly if you ask me.” Elvis said, rolling his eyes. “But that is not the point. What I’m trying to say is that I know there will be an attempt on Herman’s life. Today, and apparently it is up to us to stop it.”

~

Blood boiling with rage and desire, she glided around the corner under the protective veil of dusky shadows. The diner was right in front of her, and soon she was on the landing leading to the above apartment. Face distorted with obvious glee, Felicity let herself in and began to make herself at home. Cautiously she watched Herman smiling at his wife and daughter. That happiness is mine. She thought, a smile already twitching at the corners of her lips.

The giggling baby gave a small coo and with that, Felicity found herself lost. Something inside of her changed. Her eyes shifted out of focus; leaning against the wall for support she took a sharp breath of air. Her world started to spin, and suddenly she realized the gravity of her situation. Lissa’s brow furrowed and she sighed. This soft sound fell upon Herman’s ears, and he turned and recognized her.

“Sadie, what are you doing here?” He said curiously. Sadie heard but could not distinguish his words from those within her own head. She turned and scrambled from the house, down to the street barely aware of the world around her – so much so that she forgot a very important rule about streets, traffic, and not being killed by eighteen-wheelers.

 

© 2009 Yes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on September 27, 2009

Author

Yes
Yes

MI



About
22 / Female / Fine Arts Major (Theatre/Web Design/Arts Management) I write for me, and I'm here to share it with the internet. It will be full of typos and strange, strange grammatical errors, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Yes


One One

A Chapter by Yes


Two Two

A Chapter by Yes