To the new year

To the new year

A Story by the tipsy writer
"

Enjoy:)

"

Southern Florida never seemed so alive for Ellie than the cheer of the New Year’s Eve block party in Hunter Ridge, a bougie neighborhood east of town. Especially since cheer was exactly what Ellie had avoided as of late. But Hannah personally invited her. And Hannah always got her way. Not because she was spoiled but because of an intense determination that shattered all obstacles in her way. Ellie liked that about her among other things, so she said yes.  

“You have to write a resolution you know.” 

“Umm, I guess I don’t really have one.”  

“Ellie, it’s tra-DISH-on,” she drawled. “So you have too. Then we all throw them into the fire at the start of the new year.”  

“Yeah, okay, I’ll think of something, ” Ellie promised, hoping to keep Hannah from pressuring her anymore. Hannah grinned from ear to ear. Until now, Ellie thought that expression was only hyperbole but Hannah seemed to prove the expression true.  
  Ellie looked around. What Hannah said was true. People around her scribbled frantically on little cards.  

Ten minutes from midnight.  

“What’s your resolution,” Ellie asked.  

Hannah snickered. “I can’t tell you that. Or it won’t come true.” Ellie doubted that’s how resolutions worked but she let Ellie have her way.  

Five minutes until midnight.  

Hannah came back carrying a cup of sprite. From the way her words drawled, it likely contained liquor as well. “Well did you think of something?” Hannah asked.  

“Not really.”  

“You know resolutions don’t have to be super big or anything like that.” Hannah placed a hand on her shoulder. “They can be small. Like waking up and starting everyday with a smile.” 

“That’s incredible cheesy,” said Ellie.  

“Yeah well, right now, I’m filled to the brim with cheese. And just because somethings cheesy, doesn’t make it unimportant.” 

One minute until midnight.  

The past year had been long but since meeting Hannah things quickened if only to keep her pace.   

Thirty seconds until midnight. Maybe Hannah was right. Maybe she didn’t need to make some grand resolution. Lose 10 pounds. Go to the gym. Travel more. None of those mattered. Ellie wrote something down on the card in her hand. Hannah appeared in front of her. 

“It’s almost time. COME AHNN,” she drawled. “What did you end up writing?” she asked. 

“I can’t tell you or it won’t come true.”  

“What? No fair,” she cried. “Please?” 

“I’ll tell you next year.” 

“Really? Promise?” 

“Yeah, I promise.” 

Ten seconds until midnight. 

It might not be grand. 

Nine seconds. 

But it was important.  

Eight seconds.  

A promise not just for Ellie but to Hannah. 

Seven seconds.  

And a promise of letting things move her in their own way. 

Six seconds.  

Of letting the world turn. 

Five seconds.  

To connect.  

Four seconds. 

To let the world change her.  

Three seconds. 

And maybe change the world. 

Two seconds.  

Even just a little. 

One second. 

A promise to be here next year with Hannah too. 

“Happy New Year,” whispered Ellie, embracing Hannah, as the sky exploded in a bouquet of light.  

© 2022 the tipsy writer


Author's Note

the tipsy writer
Depending on the responses, I might expand this or make it better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on January 10, 2021
Last Updated on April 1, 2022

Author

the tipsy writer
the tipsy writer

WA



About
About me? Flourless chocolate cake is my favorite thing in this world. I think the movie "Elf" is overrated... sorry, not sorry. I would kill for a fraction of Terry Pratchett's wit. I was switc.. more..

Writing