2. Introduction

2. Introduction

A Chapter by They.Call.Me.Mo

Sydnye and Mack were my second and third closest friends.

I decided that I would tell them about the incident, soon enough. All they knew now, what I let them believe, is that I’m trying a new style.

“You look nervous. Is something wrong?” Mack asked, obviously concerned.

“Nah…Coffee. Too much coffee,” I replied, mindlessly.

“You don’t like coffee,” He looked doubtful. Jared looked as if he would explode with laughter at any moment. Amazingly, he contained it.

  “Things can change,” I tried to act nonchalant.

“I can see that,” Sydnye chimed in.

The four of us sat in my garage, worked on homework, and listened to CDs from local bands. After a few minutes, I heard a beating noise, like bass drums that were way off beat.

Ba-dum ba-dum ba-dum

I took a step back as something in my throat pulsed. I suddenly felt a wave of claustrophobia rush over me. The garage suddenly felt hot and cramped. I had to get out of there.

“Sorry. I-I’ll be right back,” I suddenly noticed that Jared had stopped playing. The sound was consistent, though.

I walked toward the garage door. As I neared Sydnye and Mack, the sound got louder, pounding in my ears. I noticed that it was exactly what it sounded like, a heartbeat.

“I’m sorry. Jared, tell them. We know what I am now, and they deserve to know,” a strange feeling washed over me. As well as the claustrophobia, I felt hostility, hunger, and anger, all for no reason.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to get out of there. I felt danger and it was coming from me. I lifted the garage door, let it drop, and bolted.

 

I ran until dark, until I couldn't breathe, but my breathlessness wasn't from running. When I stopped, I noticed that I was in an alley. For a moment, I thought I was alone, but then I heard the noise again coming closer and closer, louder and louder, coming from behind me.

I whipped around and then hostility took over. Hunger pushed me further. And instinct made me want it. I knew this wasn’t right.

I fought against the feeling, but before I knew it, I had the person, victim, in an iron grip, squeezing them as I lifted their deliciously pulsing neck and craned my own.

Then my new, unused fangs willed themselves over the plump, bluish vein in their neck. The lush, sweet blood streamed down my throat. The taste was nothing like the salty, metallic that I used to know. It was sweet, warm, and inviting.

This had all happened within seconds. I heard the sound of metal meeting the asphalt of the alley floor. I looked down and found a carving knife that my victim had dropped. I didn’t think much of it.

After just minutes, I was finished. All of the blood was drained from the body.

Curious, I looked at the face of the person that I had, ever so carefully, lain on the ground. The face was familiar, and then I recognized the pale man. It was the serial killer that they were searching for that I had seen on the news.

I wanted to be done; at least the humane part of me did. My vampiric instinct chose different and, once again, took over.

I spent another hour searching for victims, preferably criminal. I found two, both were deliciously indulging.

I decided to return home while the hostile feelings were untraceable in my mind.

 

 

I ran back home the way I came. When I arrived, I found Sydnye, Mack, and Jared all waiting for me in my living room.

“I-umm…Hi guys,” I said sheepishly. I looked at the clock; it was past midnight. Miraculously, I wasn’t tired at all.

Jared walked up to me, “I told them,” then he leaned close to my ear and whispered, “And unless you want them to know what you’ve been doing, you’d better get cleaned up.”

“Oh, thanks.” I wiped my face with my sleeved arm.

“What happened earlier?” Sydnye was the first to start the conversation.

“I don’t know, really,” I confessed, hesitantly, “I just know that I needed to…” I stopped before I said too much.

“You can tell us anything. I can tell there’s something that you want to say,” I suddenly noticed he was very observant and understanding.

I deliberated for a short moment, “Yeah, let me talk to Jared first, though.”

Mack nodded then Sydnye spoke, “Okie dokie then!” I could tell that she was trying to lift the awkward, tense mood that had settled comfortably on the room.

“What’s up?” Jared asked in a hushed tone

“Should I tell them?” I whispered to Jared.

“They’re about as understanding as I was at first.”

“Okay”

“Just do what you think would be best.”

“You sound like Doctor Phil”

“Ha. I do!” his voice wasn’t so hushed anymore.

“Alright, I’ll tell them,” I turned to the waiting, curious eyes and suddenly felt nervous. I was more nervous than I should be. A knot tightened in my stomach and my throat closed up on me making me unable to make a sound.

“Are you okay?” Sydnye asked. I took a deep breath and began.

“I don’t want anybody to freak out or anything. I’m just going to get to the point,” I looked down at my hands. I was pretty sure that I didn’t want to see their reactions, “I killed somebody tonight. He was the man, the serial killer from the news.”

“I-I didn’t mean to. I-I just…I don’t know,” my voice came out sounding strangled and I felt that I was going to cry for the first time in a long time.

My eyes betrayed me, I couldn’t resist seeing the line of faces, expressions, in front of me. I looked up and found that my friends’ faces weren’t showing surprise, but intrigue.

“I can control it now. I promise.” There was a long silence. Nobody spoke and I couldn’t relax until somebody did.

“Wow, you’re like a hero,” Sydnye finally spoke. I was speechless by her response.

“Yeah, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. It’s your instinct,” Mack added.

“It’s not like you wanted to kill anybody. It’s not like you wanted to be a vampire. You were chosen,” Jared joined in with the consoling, too, “And, believe me, I saw your reaction. I was there when you called yourself a ‘ferocious blood-sucking monster’ and I could tell that you did not ask for this.”

“Please don’t,” I said, “I don’t want sympathy. I just want to forget about it.”

“No you don’t,” Sydnye teased in a playfully hypnotic voice, “you want to tell us about it. You want to tell us every little detail.”

“Do you really think that will help?” I asked sarcastically.

“Yes, I’ve been practicing my wizardry. I’m good aren’t I?”

“Very good, Sydnye, now go put your helmet back on before you hurt yourself,” Jared teased.

“No problem, but you have to go get it for me!” she sang, “I believe, I left it in the car.”

I couldn’t help laughing. Once again, they had gotten their way. I told them every detail that I could remember. They were, surprisingly, quiet for the most of it.

Their expressions didn’t show disgust and fear, but interest and amusement. They looked as though I were telling them the most intriguing story they’d ever heard.

“I don’t really know what I’m supposed to do now, though,” I felt scared, lost, “they said that I was Chosen, but I don’t even know what that means, let alone what for. I wish these mysterious people would at least give me a hint as to what exactly I’m supposed to do�"why I absolutely need fangs to do it�" and how I’m supposed to do whatever I was chosen for!”

“Be careful what you wish for,” a mysterious male voice spoke out hidden. I whipped around to find emptiness.



© 2011 They.Call.Me.Mo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmm, interesting and mysterious, and good chapter. I'm getting hooked :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 16, 2009
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

They.Call.Me.Mo
They.Call.Me.Mo

Citrus Heights, CA



About
My name is Morganne :] Born 6/3/95 and happily taken in a relationship. I have a daughter that was born 2/29/12. I write poetry, and I try to write books. Someday, I'll finish one. more..

Writing