Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by thuaners

Anton stopped.

Standing before him on the path leading away from his house was a dark figure.  The moon was still being shrouded by clouds and he couldn’t make out who it was.  He was about to say something when finally the clouds cleared and the moon came out, illuminating the stranger’s face.

Anton had been carrying a bucket and a fishing net attached to a long pole; the bucket slipped out of his hands and dropped to the ground.

“Maruska!” he said.

“Indeed,” said Maruska, “It has been a long time, Anton.”

“What are you doing here?” said Anton.

“Is it not obvious?” she said, “I came here to find you.”

“How did you find me?”

“I have ways and means,” said Maruska, “But now it is my turn to ask the questions.  What are you doing here?”

“I’m going to do some night fishing with my son,” said Anton, “We’re going to catch garfish.”

“No, I mean what are you doing living out here, in such a remote corner of the realm.  Your family doesn’t even know where you live.  It’s almost as if you are hiding from someone.”

Anton did not reply.

“It’s good to see you again, Anton,” said Maruska.

“Likewise,” said Anton.

Maruska looked up at the sky, and then chuckled, “What a coincidence, now it comes out.”

Anton looked up.

The sheet of cloud had moved further to the east, revealing some glittering stars twinkling quietly in the night.  When he saw the stars, a memory came back to him; and along with it, many other memories.

“That constellation,” said Maruska, “Remember you named it after me?”

“Maruska the Beautiful,” said Anton.

He remembered how beautiful she was.  And always laughing and having fun.  She was still so beautiul, but now she seemed a sadder person.

“You should go now, Maruska,” said Anton, “Just forget about me and forget I ever existed.”

Maruska returned her gaze to Anton and said, “Oh I intend to forget you.  But first I need you to answer me one question.  That day we went hunting for Dahrion’s Tear, when we got attacked by that Ooberlesk.”

“Is that what they are called?” said Anton.

“Yes,” said Maruska, “I blacked out afterwards.  When I woke up, I was at the King’s castle.  Joyce had healed me.  And you were gone.  Bastion told me that some soldiers had found me unconscious in a forest, my body just left there.  They brought me back to the King and he asked Joyce to save me.  I want to know…  did you really leave me in a forest?  Did you think I was doomed and then left me there?”

All was quiet.

It was like the entire night wished to hear Anton’s reply, to hear the words Maruska had been waiting to hear for twenty-five years.

“Yes,” said Anton, “It is just as Bastion said.”

He spoke no more.

Maruska was quiet.  Anton had already cut out her heart by avoiding her for all this time, but now she felt a fresh wound; another stab in the hole where her heart used to be.

A tear trickled down her face.  Just one, down her right cheek.  She wiped it quickly with the back of her sleeve, and along with it, she wiped away any love or sympathy she had been harbouring for Anton.

She reached into her robes and brought out the glowing pink-purple orb.

Yes, she thought, This is the right thing to do.

Anton looked at the sinister-looking object in Maruska’s hand and became wary.

“What is that?” said Anton.

“This,” said Maruska, “Is your punishment.”



© 2011 thuaners


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was good. You didn't say what the promise was, how rude of you :) that was clever, leaving the reader wondering what the promise was. Anyway, can't wait to read the next chapter. Post it soon.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 26, 2011
Last Updated on April 26, 2011

Passion of the Liger


Author

thuaners
thuaners

Australia



About
Currently writing a fantasy adventure story online (called 'Passion of the Liger' :) ). hope you enjoy reading it ^^ more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by thuaners