Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by thuaners

Narteb sat on the pier with his legs dangling relaxedly over the edge. It was raining, but it wasn’t so bad. He was actually having a rather good time. He was currently doing some fishing, with very little luck.
Sitting next to him on the pier was his friend, Pip, who was blowing away on his ocarina. It was a small triangular shaped instrument made of clay and had a hole to blow through and little holes for the fingers, similar to a flute. Pip had his eyes closed and seemed to be entranced in the music as he played. Pip rarely fished when Narteb and his friends went fishing. He chose instead to bring his ocarina and practice.
The song Pip was playing was a slow, sad one, but strangely, it made Narteb feel happy as he listened to it. He had heard Pip play this song, which was called ‘Eventide of Evermoor’, countless times, and often on repeat, but he never got tired of it. On a night like this, with the horrible weather and lack of fish, Narteb was really glad his friend was there with him and playing music.
Narteb turned to look back at the pier. He had been checking periodically for the past hour or so. His dad was supposed to come join then, and they had been fishing for a few hours and he still hadn’t arrived. This made Narteb worried because Narteb’s dad, Anton, never broke a promise. If he said he was going to be somewhere, then he was going to be there.
The music stopped.
“Hey, Narteb, where’s your dad?” said Pip.
“I don’t know,” said Narteb, “It’s not like him not to show up.”
“Well, I think I’d better get going now,” said Pip, “If we stay out any later we’ll be dead at school tomorrow.”
“Yeah, I guess,” said Narteb, “I wanna check at home anyway, I want to know if anything’s wrong.”
The two boys packed up their things. Narteb took a bit longer than Pip, because all Pip had to do was put the ocarina into his pocket and stand up. When Narteb had gathered his equipment, the two of them made their way back up the pier towards shore. Thankfully, by now the rain was easing up to the lightest of drizzles.
The two of them walked along the dirt track that led back to the village. It was cold and they were both soaked, so neither was in a real mood to chat. They stomped through the night in comfortable silence. Which was why it was easy for them to both hear footsteps of someone approaching them out of the darkness ahead.
“Is that someone running towards us?” said Pip.
“Looks like it,” said Narteb.
The two boys stopped walking and waited to see who it was. It wasn’t long before they could make him out. It was one of the men from the village, Bob Denton, father of their friend Cedric.
“Hi, Mr Denton,” said Narteb.
“Thank the Gods I’ve found you,” said Bob, “Narteb, something happened to your mother.”
A shiver ran through Narteb as he heard that. He was already worried that something might have happened, but to actually hear someone say it…
“What happened?” said Narteb.
“I…” began Bob, “I think it’s better you see for yourself. I really don’t even quite believe it myself.” His voice sort of drifted off.
“What happened to her, Mr Denton?” repeated Narteb.
Bob shook his head and turned around, “Come with me. You have to see for yourself.”
He started running back towards the village and the two boys followed closely behind him. Butterflies were churning in Narteb’s stomach.
“I hope everything is okay,” said Pip.
Narteb grunted in agreement.
Finally, they reached a lone house on the outskirts of the village. Narteb knew this house. It was the home of his dad’s friend, Ray. There was someone sitting alone on the front steps of the house. It was an old lady. Narteb knew this old woman; it was Ray’s blind mother. She looked like she was in shock.
“Where did everyone go?” asked Bob.
The old woman said quietly, “They took her away. Back to her house. Everybody went with them.”
“What happened?” said Narteb, “Did something happen to my mum?”
The old lady said, “Who is it?”
“It’s Narteb, Granny C., Anton and Ginessa’s son.”
The old woman put a hand over her mouth and shook her head. She stood up and reached out towards where she heard the sound of his voice. Narteb walked towards her and touched her hands to make it easier for her. She wrapped her bony arms around him and gave him a hug.
“I’m so sorry,” she said.
“What happened?” said Narteb.
“You don’t know yet?” said the old woman, surprised.
“I didn’t tell him,” said Bob, “I can hardly believe it myself.”
The old woman let go of Narteb, and said, “You should go back to your house.”
“Can you tell me what happened to her?” said Narteb.
There was a long pause.
Finally, the old woman spoke. “I don’t know how it happened… but I think your mother was turned to stone.”
Silence.
“What?” said Narteb. He didn’t understand what he’d just heard.
“One moment she was normal,” said Mavis, “And the next, she had become like a stone statue. I wouldn’t have believed it myself, but I felt it with my own hands. I still don’t quite believe it. I didn’t know such things could happen…”
She explained to Narteb all that had happened that night. “And then your father came by later on, and said that your mother had been turned to stone. By some woman named, Maruska. Yes, I think he said her name was Maruska.”
This was all too much for Narteb. Turned to stone? Was this all a big joke someone was playing on him? If it was, then it wasn’t funny at all. He felt really confused.
“Come, Narteb,” said Bob, “We should go back to your house. That’s where everyone is.”
Narteb nodded. He turned to Mavis, and knew that he should say goodbye to her, but was still in such shock that nothing came out of his mouth.
The old woman took Narteb’s two hands in hers, and held them tenderly for a few moments, before letting them go. She too could think of no words to comfort him.
Narteb, Bob and Pip began running back towards Narteb’s house. Narteb shot passed the two others; he was fully sprinting. He wasn’t sure exactly what was going on, but he knew that he wanted to get home as soon as possible.


© 2011 thuaners


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Two things caught my eye.
1. The way the old woman told him that her mother was turned to stone seemed too plain and not dramatic. You see what I mean? She says it too normally.
2. When Narteb leaves her place he says goodbye to her casually. I don't think that seems right. Maybe he should be shocked enough not to say goodbye.
That's just my opinion though :)
next chapter please.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

thanks! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Two things caught my eye.
1. The way the old woman told him that her mother was turned to stone seemed too plain and not dramatic. You see what I mean? She says it too normally.
2. When Narteb leaves her place he says goodbye to her casually. I don't think that seems right. Maybe he should be shocked enough not to say goodbye.
That's just my opinion though :)
next chapter please.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 29, 2011
Last Updated on June 2, 2011

Passion of the Liger


Author

thuaners
thuaners

Australia



About
Currently writing a fantasy adventure story online (called 'Passion of the Liger' :) ). hope you enjoy reading it ^^ more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by thuaners