Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Chapter by thuaners

Those eyes.
Those piercing green eyes, that seemed to sparkle.  Women generally swooned whenever he set his gaze on them.  He could probably melt butter, or more realistically, hearts with those eyes.
But Lena was not swooning or melting at the moment.  She was just trying her best to act natural.  And as anyone who has ever tried to act natural can tell you, it is a hard thing to do when you are trying.
“So tell me, Madam Barkeep,” said the Conquistador, the owner of the green eyes, “Have you perchance seen a stranger enter your tavern tonight?  He was wearing a red cloak.”
Those eyes bored straight into her.  His gaze was so intense she became hot and flustered.  She wanted to look away, but couldn't.  It was like she was being hypnotised.  She felt like he was drawing out her soul just by looking at her.  Like he had locked onto her somehow and could make her do his bidding.  She felt a strong urge to tell him all he wanted to know.  She opened her mouth to speak--to tell him Anton was downstairs--but stopped herself, using all the restraint she had.
Then slowly and deliberately, she replied.
"No.  I have not."
There was silence.  Everyone in the tavern had stopped talking and was listening in.
Lena looked up, and the Conquistador was still staring at her.  His eyes were overwhelming, like twin emerald suns burning into her.
"Are you certain?" he said.
Lena knew that he was looking for signs that she was lying.  She felt her face get hotter.  Her whole body felt like it was heating up.
"I am certain," she said firmly.
The Conquistador said nothing.  Finally, he smiled and said, "Very well then.  Please do look out for this man.  Report to the Royal Guard if you see or hear anything."
"I will," said Lena.
The Conquistador nodded at the soldiers who had accompanied him, and turned to leave.  But before he did, he said one final thing to Lena.
"I would like you know that anyone found aiding this stranger, or hiding his whereabouts, will be deemed an enemy of the King, and will be punished accordingly.  Farewell, Madame Barkeep."
He and the soldiers left the tavern.
And everybody sighed with relief.
Lena went over to a spare chair and sat down.  That had been intense!  Curse that fool Anton for coming back and putting her in this situation!  And she was still mad at him!
Penelope, the waitress, came over and said, "Are you alright, ma'am?"
"I'm okay," said Lena, "I'm just glad they're gone.  And that nobody in here blurted out anything about my friend."
"That man in the red robes is your friend?" said Penelope.
The word had slipped out of Lena's mouth without her even thinking about it.  She pondered it for a while and then said, "I hate him at the moment, but yes, he is my friend."
Penelope had a curious look on her face, as if she was thinking about something, but Lena didn't notice, she was too busy being relieved.
"Free drinks for everyone all night!" Lena shouted suddenly, "For being such a good crowd!"
The jolly patrons of the tavern all cheered.
Lena turned to Penelope and said, "I need to go find my husband.  Can you look after the tavern while I am gone?"
'Yes'm," said Penelope.
"Great," said Lena smiling and getting up, "Mr. Straud will be over the moon to see that oaf I have downstairs."  She went behind the bar and grabbed her sword and then left the tavern.
Penelope just stood there watching her boss leave, and continued to stand there for a fair while afterwards.  She was currently mulling something over in her head, and in two minds about what to do next.  Her heart wanted to do one thing, but her head, which always had been the much louder voice, wanted to do something else.
Penelope sighed.
She really had grown to love this tavern and her boss Lena.
It was times like these that she wished that she wasn't a spy working for the King.


© 2011 thuaners


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The ending was intersting. just when you start to think things are going ok, they aren't. Good so far, cant wait for more! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 6, 2011
Last Updated on November 6, 2011

Passion of the Liger


Author

thuaners
thuaners

Australia



About
Currently writing a fantasy adventure story online (called 'Passion of the Liger' :) ). hope you enjoy reading it ^^ more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by thuaners