Voices

Voices

A Poem by Dove
"

something i wrote while sitting in my garage.

"

I think something is wrong with me

Something about me just isn’t right

I’m different from everyone else

And I don’t think it’s a good thing

I hear voices in my head

They tell me what to do

They tell me right from wrong

But what they say isn’t always true

Everything I do

I do because of them

I have the brain

But the voices have the mind

They control me every second

I think every day I’m getting crazier

The voices I hear

They don’t make me strong

They make me weak

I can’t decide for myself

I don’t really know right from wrong

All I know is what they say

And I just have to pray they know best

© 2011 Dove


Author's Note

Dove
This is just a random piece and i do not hear hear voices.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm very inexperienced with poetry so please feel free to toss these comments in the trash. I found the poem very interesting with its development of the thought process of a mentally ill person -- the progression from identifying that there is a problem, reassurance that the voices at least identify right from wrong and then the questioning of whether the voices actually know right from wrong. In many ways, the poem is terrifying. I think I would like to see it expanded a bit -- with some specifics of what the voices might be telling the protagonist to do -- sort of a hopscotch of actions taken at the direction of the irrational voices. Maybe that wouldn't work, but it was something that would appeal to me and add a concrete illustration of the plight the protagonist finds himself in. Very thought provoking poem. I have known people who heard voices and the voices were sometimes merciless.

Posted 8 Years Ago


A great expression of a mental illness, filled with struggle. I have a mental illness myself and this poem touches me in many ways. The expression was fluid and vivid. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work. Please return the favor by reviewing one of my pieces.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I was wondering if it was based on someone with schizophrenia.
It's a good way of portraying someone's struggle with something he/she can't seem to be able to control.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Amazing..

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ooh I can feel the battle between chaos and acceptance, nicely portrayed :)


Posted 12 Years Ago


Lies.

All writers here voices. All painters see things that are not there. Musicians hear songs that are as yet unsung.

Judging by this I think the voices in your head know what they're doing.

Nice poem. Be sure to tell the voices I said hi. ;D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think we all hear voices in our minds, our conscience basically. Let us always hope that overall we continue to hear that still small voice that attempts to steer us to the right. Well penned.

Posted 12 Years Ago


feels like a tornado of confusion. i have these kind of days, yes i do. well, at least the voices in MY head say i do. i tend to agree with them for arguments sake.



Posted 12 Years Ago


Very creative and excellent use of your imagination to write this poem, I love it, and voices in my head agree :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

822 Views
12 Reviews
Added on September 5, 2011
Last Updated on September 5, 2011

Author

Dove
Dove

Antioch, CA



About
I will forever be a mystery more..

Writing
My Abuse My Abuse

A Poem by Dove