Have We Even Put A Crack In The Glass Ceiling?

Have We Even Put A Crack In The Glass Ceiling?

A Story by Paula Burns
"

the article is about the glass ceiling that exists in the business world. the ceiling is for both women and minorities that are in the workforce.

"
The question above is a hot topic today and discussed by many people from all walks of life. The answer is no we haven't even come close yet to cracking the glass ceiling. Yes,  there are more top paid female and minority executives today then lets say even 15 years ago. But these executives often pay a high price for their success. The price has ranged from living a life without a companion or family to share it with to complete burnout in less than five years or less of being on the job. The burnout is from constantly having to prove yourself over and over that you are capable to do the job.

Women are still thought to have jobs in women oriented jobs. The jobs they hold are usually teachers, nurses or other low paying jobs. Other minorities such as black or hispanic usually hold even lower paying jobs then this. Minority CEO are usually abnormal. The candidate has paid a steep price for success even at this point in their lives. The job itself creates even more pressure on the candidate because they must do twice as much work or even marry their work to succeed.

The glass ceiling is still there for many minorities and probably may never get a little dimple in it. It seems that the ceiling itself just keeps getting higher so it is harder to reach let alone even crack. I often wonder it there will ever be true equality in the workforce or anywhere for that matter. It is sad to know that person is judged on their gender, race, creed or religion in a country that strives so hard to protect human rights halfway across the globe and not within its own boundaries. You might think this a harsh statement but what it all boils down to the basic human right to be judge fairly and not prejudicially.

© 2013 Paula Burns


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on May 11, 2013
Last Updated on May 11, 2013
Tags: glass ceiling, business, minority workers, feminism, future business, commerce