Shallow Misery

Shallow Misery

A Poem by Cierra

Misery.
That's an understatement.
Never quite being sure if
You'll make it.
And if you do,
Will you be whole?
Will there be anyone left?
You're lost at sea,
The emotions inside
Relentlessly beating you
Until there truly is nothing.
Your raft leaks, you sink,
Slowly.
The water sucks you under
Like the pain you wished
You could feel again.
The cold truth,
The bite that may end you.
It's all you wanted,
All you hoped for.
And now, it has submerged your being
And there's no escape.
Unless you learn to swim.

© 2015 Cierra


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It takes some people a lifetime to come to this realization.that you can only run from yourself for so long before you're either consumed by your own inability to be honest with yourself or you face those truths and learn to swim in this ocean of life. I don't think that you're miserable. At least not now . By expressing yourself in this beautifully rendered poem you've taken off the floaties. Nicely done and an enjoyable read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


There is a smart use of word choice and imagery throughout this piece which speaks to careful attention and honest vulnerability through unloading onto "paper." All those thoughts that keep us up at night, all those emotions that swell until we are enveloped by them, they all serve to create our own misery and if we're not careful they can swallow us whole. I too know this well.

The last two lines I especially like. The second to last line, at face value, is a final crushing truth: "there is no escape." But it is followed by a glimmer of chance - of hope even: "unless you learn to swim." It left me with a feeling of depth to your piece that makes poetry so enjoyable to read. I have found in life that there are unimaginable depths that threaten to swallow you whole but that inevitably, there is always a tiny glimmer of chance, of hope, to catch hold of - should you choose to search it out. Well done. And here's to swimming!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Misery is deadly, yet somewhat calming in its own way. I know I'm perfectly comfortable in my misery some days, while other days, I do my best to keep it away.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Beautifully sad imagery...learning to swim in shallow misery. Wonderful!
Thank you for sharing your creation, dear poet.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2015
Last Updated on January 28, 2015
Tags: depression, isolation, pain, overwhelmed, no escape

Author

Cierra
Cierra

Bloomington, IN



About
I like to narrate things in my head using different voices and accents. I like to leave people guessing. I like listening to classical music and imagining things that will never be reality. Writing i.. more..

Writing
LoveStory LoveStory

A Poem by Cierra