Employers Are Starting to Recognize the Value of Keeping Employees Fit

Employers Are Starting to Recognize the Value of Keeping Employees Fit

A Story by Todays Pulse
"

There are tons of jobs that require people to stay fit for the duration of their careers, including soldiers, firefighters and professional athletes. With the rising costs of healthcare, though, emplo

"

There are tons of jobs that require people to stay fit for the duration of their careers, including soldiers, firefighters and professional athletes. With the rising costs of healthcare, though, employers in every industry are finding that encouraging their employees to stay fit should be a priority. According to Fortune, even a small amount of exercise on a regular basis can have a great impact on health, morale and overall employer costs.

 

Employers Aren’t Allowed to Discriminate Based on Fitness�"But They Can Provide Benefits That Encourage Employees to Work Out

 

Discrimination laws make it very clear that no U.S. employer can discriminate against an employee or a potential employee based on race, age, gender or weight. However, that doesn’t mean companies can’t provide their employers with benefits and even incentives that will help them stay fit. Forbes reports that the annual U.S. healthcare spending has hit $3.8 trillion, making it more lucrative than ever for employers to encourage their employees to stay fit.

 

Researchers at the University of Michigan have encouraging news for Americans everywhere, though: As little as 10 or 20 minutes of exercise per day can drastically lower the risk of developing a number of chronic conditions, including diabetes, heart disease and hypertension. The scientists explored how exercise affected nearly 5,000 employees at a financial services organization. About 30 percent of the participants were already suffering from metabolic syndrome, which is a collection of risk factors that can lead to heart disease and diabetes.

 

Across the country, doctors have estimated that approximately 34 percent of Americans suffer from metabolic syndrome, meaning one out of every three adults is at high risk for developing those chronic conditions. There is hope, though. Researchers found that when employees in the high-risk group got 150 minutes of exercise per week, their health care costs decreased until they were in line with the costs of those who were in the low-risk group.

 Employees Fitness Program

Maintaining Fitness Can Benefit More Than Just the Individual

 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend everyone get at least 150 minutes of exercise per week, which only works out to be slightly more than 20 minutes per day. Surely even the busiest mom or career woman can fit that in, if only by getting up 20 minutes earlier every morning. The effects that such a small amount of physical activity can have on overall health are promising, and the study has prompted many companies to take a look at their own health and fitness benefits for their employees.

 

Researchers found that at-risk employees who didn’t work out racked up an annual. average of $3,855 in medical expenses, while those with metabolic syndrome who started exercising cost their company just $2,770 per year. Those who exercised had their pharmacy costs alone decrease by 50 percent. The results indicate that it may be entirely possible for employers to spend much less on healthcare costs simply by spending slightly more on gym benefits for employees, which will ultimately benefit the employees, their families and the companies they work for in one fell swoop.

© 2015 Todays Pulse


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on September 22, 2015
Last Updated on September 22, 2015
Tags: Corporate, Corporate Wellness, Employee Benefits, Employee Health, fitness, health

Author

Todays Pulse
Todays Pulse

New York, NY



About
our health is yours to take care of. Read Health and Wellness articles, latest tips, diet and nutrition information, alternative and natural medicines. For Men, Women, teens and children. more..

Writing