A Happy Story

A Happy Story

A Story by Tom Chan
"

Happy stories don't always have happy endings.

"

 

    Two great friends, Ted and Todd, were walking down the street in Lala Land. They met robbers and monsters and perverts, but they were not scared because they got each other. If Ted was in trouble, Todd would help him. If Todd was disturbed by insane b*****s, Ted would kick their asses. So they were not afraid of robbers and monsters and perverts.

 

    They walked and walked and walked and they lost each other. Ted was so scared, he called out Todd’s name. In the same time, Todd was calling out Ted’s name. They called and yelled and later, they screamed. At last, Ted found Todd and Todd found Ted. They laughed at each other for their foolishness and continued to walk.

 

    They looked around, didn't know where they were. They were so anxious that they sweated and cried and hopped around like bunnies. The sky had turned amber red and later, dark blue. Ted and Todd sat on the happy grassy ground and leaned on each other. The Moon was smiling and the stars were dancing around her. They were the gloomiest creatures in the whole Lala Land, like a squashed lemon in a glass of tasty, icy honey lemonade.

 

    Waiting and waiting and waiting. Two weeks had passed. Ted and Todd were so hungry. Kind-hearted Ted looked at Todd. Hungry Todd looked at Ted’s pale countenance. Ted suggested Todd to eat his thin, but yummy-looking arms so he wouldn't die of hunger. Todd agreed with Ted’s great idea and started pulling Todd’s two crispy arms off. They came out as easily as splitting a melting chocolate bar.

 

    He got into it and burped for four seconds when he was done. Ted smiled at Todd and Todd smiled at Ted. They were happy again. Another two weeks passed. Dying Ted looked at Todd. Thirsty Todd looked at Ted’s yellow and waxy countenance. Ted suggested Todd to eat him whole, excluding his head because Ted wanted Todd to remember his face forever, for he was tired and he was going to die. Todd agreed without hesitation and started to tear Ted apart, thinking what a great friend Ted was. Todd chomped and chomped and chomped and drank Ted’s blood. Todd was satisfied and burped for eight seconds without stopping.

 

    Four happy weeks passed and Todd got hungry again. Todd looked at Ted’s distorted head, but Ted didn't look back at him. Maggots were crawling out of Ted’s squishy eyeballs and his mouth smelled like s**t. Todd ceased to like Todd and tossed Ted’s head up on a tree. Maggots fell off from Ted’s eyeballs and landed on Todd’s head.

 

    Since he was hungry, he grabbed the pinky maggots and put them into his mouth. He chomped and yellowish juice squirted out from his mouth. It tasted like juicy orange and wax. He swallowed. He looked up at the sky. He saw the Moon smiling happily as always and the stars dancing as exotic as Mata Hari used to be. He smiled back at the Moon and gave her the middle finger. He closed his eyes and died like a stray dog on the street.

 

© 2012 Tom Chan


Author's Note

Tom Chan
Hope you like this piece and please review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, a different write for a short story, interesting as well how you developed the characters and there way of survival and death. I like this, it's a different write and well written. Maybe it should be rated mature, for language and the scene of bit of gruesome scenes. Overall.. I like this, very good story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was quite the opposite of what I was expecting. My major criticism is your use of words such as "s**t", "b***h", "gave the middle finger", etc. I wasn't sure what your intent for this story is because of these words. I found that these kind of distracted from the thematic vision of your work. I'd recommend that you switch these out for more etymologically deep words and more descriptive because those words have a large variance.

Nonetheless, I found this piece very unique in the fact that I've never read anything like it before. Also, I found that the similarities between the characters as well as their differences seem to drift them slightly more apart as time went on. The ending seemed very unusual in general. This almost seems to be an allegorical-satire like theme, but I can't quite figure it out. Nonetheless, I thought this was special! Thanks for sharing this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is an intriguing idea. It's like taking nursery tale characters and pulling them into a universe with death and pain and watching them go. In this case, they are eccentric aloof, but not in a humorous way. Well done. These characters seem to be symbols, though I'm not sure how to interpret them.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was very interesting to read. I liked it a lot though

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, dude that was awesome! Keep writing! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

459 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2011
Last Updated on October 8, 2012
Tags: happy, friends, thriller, death

Author

Tom Chan
Tom Chan

Shah Alam, Malaysia



About
I'm a writer, an artist and a lomographer. My favourite writers and poets are Neil Gaiman, Paolo Coelho and Laura Dockrill. I started writing poems since I was 12 and started writing short stories whe.. more..

Writing
Papillon Papillon

A Story by Tom Chan


Surrealism Surrealism

A Story by Tom Chan


The Moon The Moon

A Poem by Tom Chan