THE PERMIT

THE PERMIT

A Story by tomovjunior
"

Estimates of future

"

The Permit

 

A Short Story by Alexander Tomov Junior

 

 

         Somewhere in the future…

         Two men travel in a super modern subway.

         “Fasten your belts,” says the electronic voice.

         One of them hesitates.

         “Fasten your belts or else we can’t start,” repeats the voice.

         The man obeys.

         His friend watches him.

         “This is the last time I obey the order. If they refuse to give me a permit once more, I’ll break the law!”

         “Don’t. Law is sacred. Even by speaking so, you break it!” the other man reminds him.

         “I know, but there are limits to everything. I visit the director of the commission for the forth time. If he rejects me again, I’ll break the law and not only in words.”

         “Why is he doing it?” asks his friend and the train leaves the station in high speed.

         “He makes some stupid excuses.”

         “Such as?”

         “That he is not sure whether I have exhausted all my working capabilities, for example.”

         “Is this possible?”

         “No.”

         “Have you made the necessary brain tests?”

         “All of them. And they show that I am totally worn out professionally.”

         “Why doesn’t he give you this document then?”

         “Because it’s within his power to control people’s personal freedom, and this is absolutely illegal! He is a real criminal. He is ruining the perfect mechanism of our state!”

         “It’s true. That’s what people have fought for. Perfect democracy. Absolute freedom to dispose of people after they get played out!” his friend said with indignation.”    

         “The idea is being ruined again because of people’s weaknesses. Have you read history? It has happened hundreds of times before one thousand years. Now the state mechanism is perfect, it takes all your fears away. The state offers you perfect conditions. When one fulfills his duty to it, one deserves to get the permit!”

         They didn’t talk for a while.

         “Have you realized that this is the only law for whose violation you can’t be punished?” asked his friend.

         “I have. That’s true. If you do it without the permit, the state is totally helpless.”

         “Isn’t this the fatal error of the system?”

         “Maybe. So far no one has ever dared to act without that document. We are not like the savages from the year 2000, after all! Our brain and our morals are cultivated. Especially after the fifth World War. “

         “Will you really do it if they reject you again?”

         “I don’t know. I am having a heavy conflict with myself! As if everything returns to what it was thousands of years ago! And all this because of that upstart official.”

         “What do you mean - thousands of years?”

         “This kind of inner hesitation has already been described in ancient times by a playwright: Shakespeare. Have you heard of him?”

         “No.”

         “I am not surprised. He is not studied at school. Only a handful of experts know about him. So, he…”

         “Don’t go so deep into ancient times. We are another type of homo sapiens,” his friend interrupts him. “What does your family thinks about this?”

         “They all support me entirely. They mobilized themselves and used up all their emotions. This was part of the problem. All was organized and psychologically stable. No one expected that I wouldn’t get the permit. When I was rejected for the first time, it was a great shock. The whole order got confused. Suspicions arouse. My mother was totally devastated. She got arrested because she began to doubt the state order. She began to fear. After doubt always comes fear. At least this is how this madness, characteristic of the primitive people from the epoch of the first World Wars, is described in the textbooks. Things, not inherent to us. In other words, because of this insignificant detail my mother lost her absolute faith in the state!”    

         “Have you missed anything? Maybe you have forgotten some of the procedures?”

         “No. I have certificates for everything.”

         “Did you consult a commission of psychologists?”

         “Yes. The conclusion was unanimous. They gave me their full support.”

         “I won’t forget how I said good-bye to you! I cried all night. Then I accepted our departure. I forced you out of my mind. I even forgot you. And then you reappeared. I won’t forget how you told me that you hadn’t got the document!”

         “I, too, can’t believe it yet.”

         The subway train was slowing down gradually. It was approaching a station.

         “Tonight they will give you the permit! Believe in that!”

         “Do you know what the worst thing is?”

         “What?”

         “I am going crazy. I feel like a primitive from the 22nd century. I have doubts and I am afraid! Even the speed of the subway train frightens me. If this is an unconscious fear of death, I am lost! Then they will really declare me mad, and I’ll never get the permit.”

         His friend was looking at him, terrified.

         “You have to get it! They have no right. A three-month delay of a suicide permit can cause a great stress,” he said indignantly.

 

 

         Translated from the Bulgarian by Margarita Dogramadzhyan

 

© 2009 tomovjunior


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The Permit is nicely written. Keep it up.

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
613
This was a good read. It was quite fascinating. Well done!

- Brittney

P.S. Would you mind checking out my novel, HIM? Before sending it off for publishing, I'd love it if I could have as much constructive criticism as possible. (:

Posted 8 Years Ago


tomovjunior

8 Years Ago

Thanks Brittney, I appreciate!

Best regards: A. Tomov - junior
613

8 Years Ago

Sure thing!
very good to read and indeed from the reflected point of view. i enjoyed it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


tomovjunior

8 Years Ago

Thanks Jouston, I appreciate!

Best regards: A. Tomov - junior
Sounds like you stole this from Orwell and his 1984 book idea.

Posted 9 Years Ago


By far one of favorite reads on this site. I loved the content and now I am inspired.

Posted 9 Years Ago


tomovjunior

9 Years Ago

Thanks Mati, I appreciate!

Best regards: A. Tomov - junior
Pretty good story! I can see that it was translated from another language (Bulgarian in this case) regardless of the slight grammar issues caused by the translation, I would say that it is a very good read! It kept my attention long enough to finish reading this story. I like the abstract world that it is set in, it really makes you think about what it is really like outside of the character's viewpoints. Awesome job, keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


tomovjunior

9 Years Ago

Thanks Ryan :)

Best regards: A. Tomov - junior
astounding! now please quit sending me blank messages.. annoying.. better still, block me. that way I can be sure I don't get harried by you

Posted 10 Years Ago


This could be interesting, but maybe there's too much wordage but too little consideration to a theme, it meanders in other words. I can see a core to your idea(s) but too many thought projections fidget rather than speak cohesively. A grand translation but perhaps it dilutes the heart of the writing?

Posted 10 Years Ago


tomovjunior

10 Years Ago

Hello Emma, and thanks for Your opinion! The translation is not good about style, but I could say th.. read more
That is indeed very nyc. But there was not looking too much like future as it happens in sci-fi. Or may be you planned it so. Anyway, well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


tomovjunior

10 Years Ago

Thanks Penny. This story is only dystopian idea.
Penny

10 Years Ago

Okiez. My pleasure
Hiya Al,
An entertaining piece of literature, unique in its subject. So far into the future yet relevant emotionally to contemporary lines of thinking, specifically the ever rising numbers of suicide resulting from attempts to treat widespread depression with mind numbing drugs.
If I may, you could describe your characters more. Are they old, young, fertile and strong, or weaklings that are fashionably guant and fragile in the distant future's fashion? What is the world like centuries from now? Is it one enormous city, or does humanity exist behind a glass bowl and the the land is toxic, lifeless? Why does it have to be totally governed from without? And who is 'big brother' and how does the zookeeper in charge of humanity set up locks and barracades in such an existance? What are the means with which the 'system' would grant a person permission to self demise?
Perhaps these are questions that you've engrained between the lines for readers like me to ask, and if so you've suceeded very effectively.
Unique writing, Al. Keep it up, sir. BZ

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

660 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 14, 2009

Author

tomovjunior
tomovjunior

Sofia, Bulgaria



About
Alexander Tomov Jr. was born on June 3, 1982 in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. He is freelance writer and film director who is looking for realization abroad. His work consists of short stories and s.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..