So Much to Think About

So Much to Think About

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit
"

Ray calls on his old friend Adam for some advice. He is now enlightened to different aspects of the situation he is in.

"

Ray sat in his living room waiting for one of two things to happen. He was either hoping that Katie would call him saying that she was ready to talk or that Adam would come and knock on the door. Ray would constantly look at his phone waiting for her to call. He wanted to be there for her, but he didn't know if she would let him. Ray was woken up from his trance when he heard a knock at the door. He put his phone down and went to open the door. Once the door was opened, Ray saw his friend Adam. They hadn't talked in a couple months, but he knew that they would always be there for each other. That's why he called him.

 

"Hey, Ray. How you been?" Adam walked in the door and pulled him into a hug.

 

"Good. I have been pretty good." Ray walked into the living room and sat on the couch next to Adam. "So, how has life been since high school?"

 

"I'm not going to lie man, things have been tough. Work is hard to get and things are expensive. But I am making it through. Really wish I had gone to college though. It would probably make things easier. So, what did you want to talk about?" Adam turned to look at Ray. He had his full and undivided attention.

 

"Well, you remember Katie right?" Ray said looking across the living room. He hadn't talked to anyone about Katie and the pregnancy.

 

"Yeah, I remember her. She is a really sweet girl. How are things going with you two?" Adam was always the type of person that was interested in how others were doing. Ray always thought that he was the least selfless person he had ever known.

 

"We are doing alright. Our relationship has had a lot of added stress the last few weeks though." Ray grabbed his phone to see if he had missed a call from Katie or received a text. So far, there was nothing.

 

Adam grabbed the phone from Ray so that he would look at him. "Ray, what's going on?" Adam looked sincerely concerned.

"Katie is pregnant. She is about a month in." Ray looked at Adam trying to decipher what emotions were going through his mind. Adam just looked at Ray and placed his hand on Ray's shoulder.

 

"Do your parents know?" Ray started to relax a little bit. This was Adam. He knew that he would get quality advice.

 

"Yeah, we told them about two weeks ago. They have been pretty supportive about everything. Especially with Katie not living at home anymore."  Adam had a look of shock on his face once he heard that she wasn't living at home.

 

"Why isn't she at home? And where is she living now?"

 

"She left home because her parents started  to yell at her when they found out she was pregnant. I mean we expected that. They never really liked me so imagine hearing that your daughter is having a baby with the boyfriend that you don't like. So, she left home and she spent the night here last night. I'm not sure if she will stay here, but I don't know where else she will end up going. She has no other family here." Adam looked away from Ray.

 

"Ray, I don't think that her living here is a good idea." Ray was surprised that Adam had said that.

 

"What do you mean, Adam?" He wasn't sure what to think now. Was Adam going to tell him something that he didn't want to hear?

"Ray, come on. Its cool that you two are in love. And I am happy that things are working out for you. But, people are different when you live with them. You see things that you wouldn't see in a person when you just date them. And I'm not saying this will happen, but maybe you'll find something out about Katie and you won't see her the same." Ray had no words. He was completely speechless. He loved Katie and he wanted her in his life forever. But Adam had good points. He was so confused. Maybe he should talk to Katie about this. "Also, do you really want to have a kid and settle down now? You should be going to college and getting a degree. Look at me man. I didn't go to college and I am trying to just get by. I don't want that to happen to you. And having a baby is expensive."

"I need to think. I need to talk to Katie." Ray got up from the couch and started to pace back and forth. Suddenly the room felt smaller and the air felt thinner. "I'll talk to you later, Adam."

 

Adam got up and headed for the door. "Alright, Ray, but just remember that I'm here for you and I'm only looking out for you." Adam gave Ray a hug and left.

 

Ray now had so much on his mind that he just couldn't think straight. He walked over to the kitchen and open the refrigerator. He looked towards the back of the refrigerator and grabbed one of his dad's beers. He popped off the top and started drinking the beer. He plopped down on the couch and continued drinking the beer. Ray was unsure if he could handle all of these thoughts. Katie was stressed and confused and now here he was feeling overwhelmed with emotion. How could he help Katie through her problems when he was feeling the same flood of emotions? Ray sat there and eventually drifted to sleep. 



© 2013 Toni-Lynn Benoit


Author's Note

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Next Chapter everyone. I hope you all are enjoying it so far. Hope the progression of the story is something that is keeping you guys interested in the story. Please review and give me your opinions

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yeah...the enormity of the situation is beginning to hit home. It sounds so romantic...settling down together and having a baby...but the reality is something else.
I'm wondering about those pamphlets Katie got from the doctor's office?? Is she thinking about an abortion? I hope not...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Interesting chapter. I like how it's going so far, but I'm curious as to him drinking a beer, and it worries me slightly about what will happen eventually... But hey, it's your story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Yeah...the enormity of the situation is beginning to hit home. It sounds so romantic...settling down together and having a baby...but the reality is something else.
I'm wondering about those pamphlets Katie got from the doctor's office?? Is she thinking about an abortion? I hope not...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 13, 2013
Last Updated on October 13, 2013
Tags: teen pregnancy, love, romance, sad, confusion, a future unknown, novel, book, amateur


Author

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Toni-Lynn Benoit

Dededo, Guam



About
I am 19 and I live on Guam. I love to dance, sing, act, and write stories! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit