Taika-Cliff Scene

Taika-Cliff Scene

A Story by Tori Adams
"

A small scene from a book I am writing called Taika.

"
     The deep orange sky cast a gentle glow across Wynter’s face as she stood at the edge of the cliff. The icy touch of the wind was quickly turning her cheeks and nose a light, rosy, pink. With her crystal blue eyes shut tight, she spread her arms out like eagle wings, her brown hair flowing behind her.
     As she continued to draw closer to the cliff's edge, Wynter began to have trouble keeping her balance. She wasn't looking to jump, she was trying to push her limits. To see how close she could get. Unfortunatley, she pushed herself a bit too far.
     Wynter's eyes were still closed. She cautiously felt the cliff's edge with her boot. As she proceeded to step forward on to what seemed to be a strong area, her foot slipped and she fell forward. Wynter's head and upper body lunged into the open air above the cliff's massive hole and she lost grip of her other foot. With only one limb still situated on the ground, she began to descend down the side of the cliff.
     Arms flailing, legs kicking frantically, and eyes still shut, Wynter felt a sense of excitement. One she had never experienced before. She was so overwhelmed,by this new feeling, that dying hadn't even crossed her mind. The main thing she focused on now was simply reexperiencing a moment like this after her over twenty-mile drop was over. That is, if she even survived this.
     Suddenly, Wynter came back to reality. She began to panic as she realized there was a very good chance she would not survive this. If she did not find a way to catch herself before she hit the ground, she would fall into crystal lake, where she could potentially freeze to death in the below fifty degree water. Time seemed to be in slow-motion now.
     Wynter looked around anxiously. Looking for a branch, or something, something she could get a grip of, and fast. Fortuitously, Wynter found that there was a large branch directly below her, but she must be quick to catch on to it. Wynter stretched her right hand out grabbing at the air, hoping her hand would find the branch. It did.
     The mittens of which Wynter was wearing that day, almost caused her to loose hold of the limb, she quickly regained her grip, not particularly in a mood to die today. Now that she was safely placed on the side of the cliff, she needed to find a way to get back on flat land without plummiting down another dozen miles. This was a time where her power would actually come in handy. Her power to freeze objects using her eyes. Usually, she couldn't find much to do with this ability, but now it would save her life.
     Wynter focused all of her energy on the air directly below her. Her eyes began to grow from an icy blue to a solid white as she began to work on freezing the air to create a bridge that would lead to the landform on the other side. As her eyes began to turn black, the iced bridge was forming, and quickly. Wynter began to have a terrible headache as she tried to thicken the bridge, making it sturdier. Unfortunatley, she couldn't build on it anymore. She would have to cross it as is.
     Wynter slowly attempted to edge down the side of the cliff. Finally, her right foot touched the slippery ice bridge that she had created using her powers. Hoping not to slip, Wynter stretched her arms out beside her, trying to keep balance.So far, she was successful. Although, she could tell that the ice wasn't thick enough to hold her for very long. In an attempt to decrease the chance of the ice splitting too much, she lowered onto her stomach and began to pull herself forward. Her winter coat began to edge up her front side, and her skin was exposed to the cold ice.
     Wynter didn't mind, though. She was used to the freezing temperatures after living here in Isolde since she was born. As she continued to edge forward, the ice  began to split, but she was almost there, only a fourth of the way left. Wynter began to hum a song that her mother once sang to her when she was scared. Finally, she reached the other side.

© 2010 Tori Adams


Author's Note

Tori Adams
Ignore grammar and spelling mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on March 31, 2010
Last Updated on April 2, 2010
Tags: Cliff, Taika, Wynter

Author

Tori Adams
Tori Adams

Atlanta, GA



About
I am a thirteen year old aspiring young writer that is currently in the process of writing their very first novel. I do not have much more to say about myself as I am a relativley simple human being t.. more..

Writing
Drifting Drifting

A Poem by Tori Adams