Work in Progress

Work in Progress

A Story by T.C. Banks
"

This is just a sneak peek at a book I'm working on. The initial title was going to be 'Dogman" however that is the title of a Dav Pilkey series to which I own no rights. Please read and review.

"
The Adventures of Dogman and The Pup: Mutts of Justice

Meet Luke, a handsome golden Beagle/Labrador mix. Unassuming cat chaser by day, crime fighting pup by night. His tuned snout can sniff out a snack from two blocks away and his big floppy ears are perfect for overhearing bad guys laying out their evil schemes. When the humans lay down their heads at night Luke becomes Dogman; Defender of Justice. With his trusty sidekick Pupperina, Dogman hunts down evildoers across the tri-state area and brings them to justice!

Chapter 1:
Every Dog Has His Day

7:00am, "BEEP BEEP BEEP" goes the alarm. Luke has already been awake for hours just hoping the humans would be up soon to play.
"I really hope they wake up this time," thought Luke, "I can't wait to play with my favorite humans!"
"Aww, you left the alarm on?" asked Dad, "It's Saturday!"
"But today is Lukes gotcha day!" groaned Mom in reply, "We were going to do something special."
"Yip!" said Luke in excitement, "They're awake," he thought, "Time to play!"
Luke bounced around the room in excitement, bounding from the floor onto the bed then soaring through the air to paw at the door.
"Alright, alright," said Dad stumbling toward the door, "I'll let them out."
With a "WOOF!" and a woosh Luke was out the bedroom door and down the stairs waiting excitedly by the back door. Scout, however, was much less enthused.
"Aww, awake time already?" He yawned as he waddled down the stairs.
Scout was still just a pup, he enjoyed as much sleep as he could get and snuck in a few extra naps here and there. He was mostly black with a brown underbelly, white 'socks' on each foot, a spot of white just behind his head, and a white line encompassing his nose then trailing between the eyes. A plump pup, Scout was always the last one into or out of any room, except during feeding time, and he waddled and wiggled everywhere he went.
Luke is all golden, like a perfectly crispy marshmellow, with white on each foot and a white trail running up his snout right between the eyes. He and Scout were alike in that way, they also each had big droopy ears that flopped when they ran...or walked...or just about any time they moved. Luke is a bit older than Scout, just enough to know the ropes, yet young enough to know how to play.
"Today's the day!" barked Luke.
"Today is what?" yawned Scout in a sleepy reply.
"It's my gotcha day!" Luke said, "The day where Mom and Dad celebrate adopting me!"
"Oh," Said Scout, not fully listening as he flopped down on the porch.
Luke didn't notice, he was too excited, today was his first ever Gotcha Day and he couldn't wait to see what Mom and Dad had in store. First was wake ups for the smaller humans, there were five humans that lived with Luke and Scout. Mom, Dad, Bean was the biggest of the smalls, then there were Vi and Kai...or maybe it was Kai and Vi...they both looked the same to Luke and Mom gets them mixed up a lot but Dad almost always knows which is which, except when Mom dresses them in matching outfits just for fun. After wake ups for the smaller humans comes table time, Luke really likes table time because that's when Mom brings out all the smell good stuff from the kitchen, much of which ends up on the floor. The perfect spot for a hungy dog to sniff it out and clean it up. After table time the small humans put on their fur for the day and Bean gets into the big yellow bus and heads off to school. Luke has never been to school but he's sure its somewhere he would love to be, lots of kids to play with, a whole huge room just for table time (Imagine how much cleaning that floor would need! Perfect for a couple of pups!)

"What do you want to do today, Luke?" asked Scout.
"I'm not sure," he replied, "how about we play with the rope?"
"Okay!" yipped Scout and they raced off together to play.
Inside, Mom and Dad had just finished cleaning up from table time and were getting ready for their own day of setting up the Gotcha Day decorations. First they needed to head into town for just a few more things.
"We forgot streamers and candles!" said Dad.
"I have to pick up the doggy cake this afternoon as well." said Mom.
Dad hopped on his motorcycle and hurried away after helping Mom and the small humans into the car.
"Be safe!" called Mom.
"Always!" came Dad's reply.

Chapter 2:
Diggin' Up Bones

"Scout, you shouldn't be doing that! You know Dad doesnt like it!" said Luke.
"Oh its ok," replied Scout, "they're gone. Plus, I know there's something under here!"
"But you're digging up the yard, Scout, we're not supposed to dig." pleaded Luke.
"I've almost got it!" called Scout. "Look what I found!" he exclaimed triumphantly. 
Luke looked up from his favorite squeaky toy to see what Scout had found and saw what can only be described as the most delicious looking bone in the history of ever! Juicy looking, perfect for chewing, and as big as Luke and Scout standing nose to nose, but there was something different about this bone. Something strange in the way it smelled made Luke and Scout that much more excited to have found it. The smell was sweet, like something Bean likes to snack on after school, but it was also savory, like the delicious strips of steak that Dad sometimes fed Luke from under the table when Mom wasn't looking. This bone, without a doubt, was very special.
"Wow!" exclaimed Luke, "That thing is huge!" he put his nose to the air, testing the new fragrance, "It smells so good! Like Beans snacks!"
"And like dinner scraps!" replied Scout.
"Mmmmm...dinner scraps." the said in unison while licking their chops.
"I wonder who left it here." inquired Scout cocking his head to one side.
"I'm not sure, but look at this!" responded Luke while pawing at the treasure. "There's scratches in the side like someone else was chewing on it then buried it just for us!"
"I dont think those are scratches, Luke. Those look like the markings that the small humans play with, the ones that stick to the side of the big cold box full of food in the kitchen." Scout noticed. "I wonder if they mean anything."
"I don't know," Luke said, losing interest in the markings, "but I can't wait to chew on it!"
With a "woof!" and a woosh Luke bounded forward and scooped up the huge bone in his mouth and raced to the other end of the yard to chew on his new favorite toy. As soon as Luke grazed the sides of the bone with his teeth, there was a huge "CRACK!" followed by a blinding light that startled Luke. Suddenly there was nothing, only whiteness, just as suddenly there was another dog with Luke. He started, stood as quickly as he could with his back arched, teeth bared, and hackles raised.
"Who are you?" he barked
"Calm dear pup, I mean you no harm." came a deep and booming voice. The voice surrounded Luke it was all around him, it was within him. "Come now, test the air and know I come in peace."
Cautiously, never taking his eyes off the figure, Luke tested the air with his snout and found no scent of danger. Slowly he eased his stance, lowered his lips, and decided to give this strange dog a chance.
"What do you want?" he asked
"I am from a land beyond, I am the Alpha, the original, the ultimate fear of all cats, and the infinate helper of canines." boomed the voice, "I am Titan, ruler of our home planet and leader of the Mutts of Justice."
Luke gazed in amazement. The booming voice was so loud yet so calming, it came from everywhere and nowhere and it left Luke with an overwhelming sense of peace. The strange dog took a step forward but Luke was no longer afraid, he lowered his hackels and peered as far as his eyes could see trying to take in every detail of the phantom animal. Titan continued forward step-by-step, slowly and deliberately, taking each step with calculated precision. His padded feet made no sound and Luke realized that there was no sound of breathing either, not even so much as two strands of fur rubbing together as Titan moved closer.
"You have no knowledge of our home world. The Council delegated a troop of specially chosen dogs to be stationed on each planet and ensure peace and justice across the galaxy. Now is your time." Finally, Titan moved close enough for Luke to see his features and Luke saw why it was so difficult to make out what Titan looked like before. Titan wasn't simply standing among the whiteness, he was the source of the brilliance, all white from snout to tail except a jet black nose, beautiful sky-blue eyes, and a few streaks of pink on his snout, neck, and along his body. A perfect example of strength and poise Titan was a full-blooded pitbull, standing at least two feet tall at his shoulders Titan was larger than most dogs of a similar breed. "During the Great War a neighboring planet invaded our home world intent on driving us from existence. They failed but vowed vengence as they departed our world to conquer weaker planets. That is when The Council sanctioned the Mutts of Justice to defend other worlds across the galaxy. Upon the deployment of these cells all memory of the home world was washed away in order to keep our actions a secret from those who would seek to put a stop to them. Now is your time. You have found the Bone of Knowledge and summoned me here to bestow upon you what is rightfully yours. Come forth and receive your birthright."

© 2018 T.C. Banks


Author's Note

T.C. Banks
This is the beginning of a book with a young readers target as the audience.
Please tell me what you think of the progress so far.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on September 27, 2018
Last Updated on September 27, 2018

Author

T.C. Banks
T.C. Banks

Greenwood, IN



About
I am 29 years old, I have been writing off and on for over a decade. I appreciate all feedback on my works more..

Writing
Her Name Her Name

A Poem by T.C. Banks