Republika Unit Spotlight: 12th Offworld Reconnaissance Battalion

Republika Unit Spotlight: 12th Offworld Reconnaissance Battalion

A Chapter by Maksim T. Siggurd
"

Unit spotlight of a special-forces Battalion, featured prominently in Republika: The Fierside Massacre

"
2th Offworld Reconnaissance Battalion
Strength: 800
Current Status: Deployed - J’kar System
Current Mission: Currently attached to 7th Vanguard
Primary Mission: Orbital drop-shock infantry

_______________________________

Soldiers of the Offworld Reconnaissance Battalion, referred to simply as ORB, are special forces members of the Republic Naval Command, who specialize in orbital drop/shock assault tactics. Soldiers deploy in specialized drop pods, which are able to place them in advantageous positions to surround or flank the enemy. When deploying deep behind enemy lines, a supply pod drops with them; they are then expected to be able to fend for themselves until such time as they are able to re-establish contact with Republic forces. The development of the Hellstrike Combat Infantry Droid was intended to replace the ORB detachments, as their orbital drop tactics are considered to be high-risk. This has caused large amounts of tension amongst the soldiers assigned to ORB units.

The standard combat attire for the ORB unit is the Republic “Infiltrator” Mk. II Combat suit. The “Infiltrator” suit is not nearly as bulky as the FH42 Mk.V standard combat armor, and allows for far more freedom of movement and maneuverability. Conversely, it does not provide the same protection against small arms fire as the FH42. In garrison, it was a standard Republic gray color. In combat, the Infiltrator Mk. II Combat suit had built in active camouflage and the pattern could be changed depending on the theatre of operation - it was able to be done on the fly through the suits control system. The AXXIS Combat Chest Rig is worn over the armor and allows for the soldier to carry six additional magazines, one grenade, and a combat knife. Attached to the bottom of the AXXIS rig are two armored dropleg panels which secure around the thigh of the armor. This allows for a soldier to carry an optional sidearm as well as additional items such as a trauma kit or extra grenades.

The ORB soldier is issued a Mk. IV “Vulture” armored helmet, which fully seals around the head and to the suit for full NBC protection. The front faceplate is armored and provides a HUD through the use of numerous cameras. The armored faceplate is capable of retracting when not needed, which reveals a viewport.

Members of an ORB unit have great leeway in their weapon selection, as they are considered “special forces operators,” and need mission-specific equipment. The most common weapon used by the ORB operators is the S144 “Venator” Carbine Rifle, which is a more compact and customizable rifle than the R556 “Harbinger” assault rifle. It is also common to see ORB operators use the SG76 sub machine gun.

The 12th ORB has been recognized as one of the most highly decorated special forces units in the Republic Armed Forces. Their most notable decoration came during the Battle of Teria, which was the final battle of the Terian Campaign. For days, Republic forces battled to overtake the capital city of Teria, and for days they were repelled. Operators deployed from orbital drop-pods into the city, cut off from all reinforcements. The operators of the 12th ORB moved through the city and took down multiple positions which had been repulsing Republic attacks. The 12th ORB suffered heavy casualties during the course of the Battle of Teria, as they had been outnumbered and cut off.


© 2020 Maksim T. Siggurd


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on July 23, 2020
Last Updated on July 23, 2020


Author

Maksim T. Siggurd
Maksim T. Siggurd

The Frigid Tundra, ND



About
I am a Military/Science Fiction writer who has spent years working on designing a universe in which to base a series of novels off of. I have been part of project teams who have been tasked with desig.. more..

Writing