Republika Unit Spotlight: 13th Oriska Fusiliers

Republika Unit Spotlight: 13th Oriska Fusiliers

A Story by Maksim T. Siggurd
"

Spotlight of the 13th Oriska Fusilier Division

"
Faction: United Halcron Republic
Unit Designation: Light Infantry
Homeworld: Oriska, Halcron System

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oriska was a planet that possessed an unfathomable amount of mineral resources, and as such as the most sought after planet in the Halcron Sector. For decades the soldiers of the Oriskan government did battle to protect their assets. After the union between man and alien dissolved and the Republic and Confederacy formed, the Oriskan people voted unanimously to join the United Halcron Republic. In doing so, the Republic allowed Oriska to maintain themselves, provided they supply a set amount of resources to them to aid in advancement and creation of military weapons and machines.

The Oriskan military was absorbed by the Republic Armed Forces, and it's military units given the namesake "Fusilier" title. With the assistance of the Republic General Benjamin H. Lohse, they were properly outfitted and equipped as a formidable unit. In keeping with the tradition of the Republic, Oriska raised and provided 15 Divisions to the Republic Armed Forces. The most notable unit was the 13th Oriska Fusilier Division.

The standard dress in peacetime for a Fusilier of this unit was standard issue "Class-A" navy blue pants which displayed a red stripe the length of the outside legs of the pant; a brilliant white belt with an obsidian buckle was worn around the waist. The soldier also wore a "Class-A" long-sleeve gray uniform shirt with red epaulettes and a red tie. The dress boot was an obsidian black color that was required to be shined to near-mirror like reflection. Over his shirt, he wore a navy blue waistcoat that was the main identifier of the Fusilier division. Resting on top of the right breast pocket of his waistcoat was a silver nameplate that displayed his name and rank. Across the coat, above the left breast pocket, his ribbons and medals were displayed like badges of honor. The "Class-A" head-wear for the Fusilier was the Shako; it was also a navy blue with a two-inch thick, gray band running the circumference of the hat. In the center of his shako was a silver hat badge, the symbol of his unit, as well as a red and gray feather hackle off the top. The hat and uniform, in this era, was clearly for show and was considered the "Class A" uniform for every Fusilier.

The standard dress for the Fusilier while on deployment, and not in the FH42 Combat Armor, was gray "Class-B" BDU style pants. These pants were outfitted with cargo pockets and were bloused into obsidian black, shin-high boots. The issued belt was a black belt with a polymer buckle. The uniform shirt was a gray "Class-B" long-sleeve shirt which was worn with the sleeves rolled up to the mid-bicep. The standard head-wear for this uniform was a red beret and when not worn, was rolled up and worn under the left epaulette.

The combat uniform of the Fusilier was the standard Republic FH42 Combat Suit. The FH42 armor was the regulation gray color that the Republic issued and displayed the unit crest on the breastplate. The unit was issued the Republic standard issue "Advanced Combat Helmet" and the AXXIS ammunition rig.

The weapon of the Oriskan Fusilier was the R556 "Harbinger" Assault Rifle. Each soldier was issued twelve magazines for their rifle and iron sights. The individual soldier could use their own money to purchase weapon sights and accessories, however it was uncommon to see many weapon sights in this division outside of snipers and designated marksmen.

The 13th Oriska Fusilier Division became famous during the Siege of Dehlgrade. The Republic had moved forces onto the planet of Dehlgrade in order to capture shipyards and production facilities from the Confederacy. The Confederate ground forces dug in and repulsed countless attempts the Republic made to capture the city. As the Republic laid siege to the capital, the 13th Oriska Fusilier Division was prepping to overtake an outpost on the top of Hill No.22 overlooking the city. Hill No.22 was the only one in the area that could provide over watch and also provide a position for their Longbow/Artillery tanks to pummel the city into surrender.

On the morning of their attack, the Confederate ground forces stationed on Hill No.22 received word from their scouts that the Oriskan division was preparing to assault their position. Because of this, the battle for Hill No.22 lasted five hours before the 13th Oriska Fusiliers fought to the top of the hill and gained control of the over watch point. Republic forces moved Longbow tank assets onto the hill and launched a volley of artillery that brought down the main gate; this in turn allowed the rest of the armed forces to mount a successful, albeit costly, attack to overtake the shipyards.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

5th Volstra Fusilier Division
Strength: 10,250
Current Status: Deployed, J'kar System
Current Mission: Attached to the 7th Republic Vanguard under General Benton G. Hood, tasked with the invasion of the J'kar System
Current Commander: Brigadier General Lucas T. Murdoc
Second in Command: Colonel Phillippe G. Rivers

© 2011 Maksim T. Siggurd


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
Added on July 24, 2011
Last Updated on July 24, 2011

Author

Maksim T. Siggurd
Maksim T. Siggurd

The Frigid Tundra, ND



About
I am a Military/Science Fiction writer who has spent years working on designing a universe in which to base a series of novels off of. I have been part of project teams who have been tasked with desig.. more..

Writing