01. Prologue

01. Prologue

A Chapter by Maksim T. Siggurd
"

A memoir from the command of the 5th Volstra Fusilier Division.

"

“It has been nearly 650 years since the start of the bloody civil war which has torn this sector apart. What was once a unity of man and alien has been long discarded in favor of war and the disregard for all that the Union had strived to achieve.

 

On that fateful day, when those allied to the Republic rose up to take control of the Union, all that our forefathers had fought to accomplish was destroyed; left in the hands of our vengeful and irresponsible brothers and sisters. Alien species once shared a common ground in the capital of Ahlmat, working hand in hand to develop new technologies, new schools of thought, and a new way of life that none had ever had before.

 

Now, the Halcron Sector has become a warzone; entire family bloodlines dying because of the greed that overtook the sector. We have lived our lives under the Great Civil War; friends, brothers, sisters, fathers, and mothers, all wiped out due to men believing they have a destiny to rule over everything.

 

The men and women of the Republic are launching a massive invasion against the Confederacy, in what they hope will be the final push to end the war in the sector. How do I know this you ask? Well, that’s simple; I am one of countless soldiers that this task has fallen upon. The burden of this invasion will take its toll upon us all; whether the cost of which be our lives or the memories of what is to come.

 

It gives me great pleasure to serve under the command of two of the greatest commanders ever known to the Republic; Fleet Admiral Gregory T. Magellan and General Benton E. Hood.

 

Fleet Admiral Magellan, a close personal friend of mine, is a fine example of a gentleman and an officer. He has commanded the 11th Fleet at the helm of the URS Helena for over a decade. Because of this man, the sector is secure and countless lives have been spared. Without a doubt, he is one of the most courageous commanders in the entire history of the Republic and I am honored to call him a friend.

 

General Benton E. Hood is a magnificent tactician and exemplifies the conduct that is expected of the highest of officers. General Hood has served the Republic as Commander of the 1st Republic Army for the last seven years; with literally hundreds of thousands of men and women at his command. When approached by the Republic High Command, our highest council of military officers who oversee the Republic Armed Forces, General Hood quickly turned over command of his Army for the chance to lead the ground forces of the final assault against the Confederacy. He brings over twenty years of tried-and-true battlefield experience to this campaign.

 

The very fact these two men are commanding this campaign is evidence that this mission is of the utmost importance and cannot, and will not, fail.

 

I have served the Republic with distinction; through the bitter cold of the Terian Campaigns to the scorching earth of the Mubassa Campaigns, all this has been in the name of the Republic. I serve to make the sector a better place for my children and grandchildren; and to a greater extent, my own selfish hunger for glory.

 

I have come to realize in writing this memoir, that I have fallen victim to that which powers the Republic war-machine; greed. The only difference, however, is that my greed is for the glory that comes with victory, not for the oppression of the sector.

 

My name and legacy, arrogance aside, is half-whispered around battlefield camps throughout the sector. Tales of my victory in the face of defeat resonates in the upper echelons of all enemies of the Republic. Whether or not I want to be, I am one of the most wanted, respected, and hated men all at once in the entirety of the sector. Many victories have been won at the cost of that which makes a man human; compassion. I have come to grips with the fact that I have lost mine long ago.

 

As I stand before the mirror and inspect myself each day, I observe the scars of battle; each piece telling a story of how I came to be the man I am today. My leg, once made of flesh and bone, now replaced by a cybernetic prosthetic after being blown off by an artillery round while leading soldiers into the smoke and cries of battle. Running my hands over my face, I can feel the scar which runs down the right side of my head from crown to jaw; serving as a reminder of the cost of the victory at Teria and the rifle butt which nearly split my skull open and left me to die in the tundra as another nameless grunt.

 

However, in spite of these and countless other scars I wear as badges of pride and service, I have persevered through it all. In the face of overwhelming odds, I came out victorious. Was it because I had more soldiers or because of luck? No. It was because, when faced with death, I wanted to make a name for myself among the billions of people who will never know what it’s like to have one. Fortune favors the bold, as they say; and I am as bold as a lion.

 

As in every battle I have fought, the odds are against us. Not only are the Confederates fighting for their land, but they have more to fight with. I respect their efforts to stand up to the glorious Republic; and as such it is hard for me to comprehend that which has been asked of me. I have been asked by the Republic High Command to suppress all rebellion at any cost necessary. At. Any. Cost. Necessary.

 

So as I make this last entry into my personal memoir, I challenge you to this; dare yourself to be greater than you think you can be. Be as bold as the righteous lion and go forth into battle knowing that death is not something to fear, but to embrace. Face your adversary with courage and do not falter; this is what is asked of every Volstran Fusilier and this is what I ask of you. Serve your Republic with honor and fight for the proliferation of our empire; for you have only but one life to give in the service of your people.”

 

-          - Major General Jakob T. Fierside, Commander of the 5th Volstra Fusilier Division



© 2011 Maksim T. Siggurd


Author's Note

Maksim T. Siggurd
Please ignore grammar issues unless they are major and glaring. This isn't a final, polished piece yet. Also, please review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I believe this reads entirely as intended and suits a prologue. It is tried and true method of introducing the writer's universe in a short amount of space. I almost went down the same path on my current project, however I felt that I would prefer to introduce my universe throughout the story. In your example the theme is more clear whilst still allowing the reader to rely on their own imagination. Your prologue set the stage for what could be an epic story. I am intrigued and would like to read on. I am not sure I would be a fan of following the same style throughout the story (nor is there any reason to assume you will be continuing in the same way). I can draw parallels with historical records of ancient civilisations and their desire for conquest and glory or their defence against tyranny. Keep pursuing this story. It is full of promise.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I like what you wrote and will definitely read on. I also like how you wrote it so that you put the read in the mind of the general and how you let us see it from his perspective.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very interesting concept! I love that you chose to give it the form of a memoir. I think it's an interesting way of introducing your universe. The only thing that felt a little out of place was the introduction of your generals- in that area, your prose seems to take a different tone. What if you placed those introductions separate to the rest of the prologue? As a fictional dedication or something?

Also, one nitpicky thing- would you consider taking it out of italics? It's a little tiring on the eyes after the 4th or 5th paragraph.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awesome introduction and I love history and war - especially the Civil War! Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

505 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 26, 2011
Last Updated on July 26, 2011


Author

Maksim T. Siggurd
Maksim T. Siggurd

The Frigid Tundra, ND



About
I am a Military/Science Fiction writer who has spent years working on designing a universe in which to base a series of novels off of. I have been part of project teams who have been tasked with desig.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..