Bricks of Dust

Bricks of Dust

A Story by Truman S. Booth
"

An excerpt from the Relyk Regime, a 428 chapter book I'm going to write someday.

"

Relyk Regime #3

Before I begin, I must thank you for your humorous attempt to track my last epistle.  As is very clearly stated within the first document I sent you, “attempting to locate my whereabouts will be a futile and costly mistake.”  Please give that poor officer’s family my most sincere regards.  His death was neither necessary nor enjoyed.

However, we must move on to less dismal topics.  As I write these words, I am sitting on a bench in Central Park watching a young couple take a small, black dog for a walk.  The dog, which is quite ugly, has around its neck a very bright blue collar, to which is attached a similarly hued leash.  The other end of the leash is enclosed within the intertwined hands of the couple, both of whom are quite far from ugly.  As it is unusually cold for this time of year, both are dressed in many layers.  The boy is without a hat, and his short brown hair does nothing to help his reddened ears.  The girl, who I just noticed is quite pregnant, is wearing two hats and bears a broad, loving smile.

Within this simple, innocent scene, my honorable friends, we find every Element of what I have heretofore termed “what the world lacks.”  If every inhabitant of this planet focused on the principles outlined by the felicitous spectacle before my ebon eyes, the world would quickly become a better place.

What are these Perfecting Elements of which I speak?  There are several�"Companionship, Compassion, Activity, Support, Quality Time, Affection�"none of which have any particular order of importance.  But the word that immediately comes to mind, and that encompasses all the Perfecting Elements, is the word upon which I’d like to focus:

Family.

One of the most prevalent confrontations in human philosophy is the questionable superiority of the Individual vs. Society.  Great men throughout history have most eloquently expressed their opinions on which of these contenders is most important; or rather, which deserves our greatest attention in order to benefit all.  Allow me to offer my own opinion: our focus should remain, first and foremost, on the Family Unit.  It is the building block of Society, and it is the factory of Individuals.  In other words, strong Families create strong Individuals and ensure a strong Society.

Unfortunately, the strongest evidence of this lies in the lack of Social Order and absence of Great Individuals when the Family is forgotten.  In today’s world, where Families are disconnected, unpopular, and, too often, full of hate, areas of error within Society become abundant, and Individuals become lazy, careless, and, essentially, purposeless.  If we continue to try to improve Society or heighten the worth of the Individual without first strengthening our core Family Units, it is as if we are trying to construct a building with bricks of dust, or sculpt a work of art out of liquid clay.

How do we strengthen our families?  By following the example of this dear couple in Central Park:

Spend Time Together!  You needn’t be constantly joined at the hip, but at a bare minimum have regular family meals (and leave the television OFF!  You’ll be surprised at how much there is to talk about).  Parents should spend quality time with each of their children individually.  Siblings should discover common interests and find activities to do together.

Love Each Other!  Parents, show your children how much you love your spouse!  There is no greater thing you can do for them.  To avoid a situation in which parents honestly do not love each other, take time to get to know a person before you marry them!  Divorce is a devastating, damaging thing, and despite its modern frequency, it is avoidable.

Sacrifice for Each Other!  Do you think the Central Park couple started their walk with two hats on the girl?  Of course not.  At some point on their chilly escapade, the female confessed her wool cap’s inability to sufficiently warm her head.  Without hesitation, her companion removed his own insulation, providing her with warmth and proving his love and devotion.  Sacrifice is key.

There are so many more Perfecting Elements I could cover, but my hands are freezing, and more people are starting to walk by my bench.  I end this letter here, adding only my conviction that if we first strengthen our Families, the entire world will quickly benefit.

Incandescently,

© 2011 Truman S. Booth


Author's Note

Truman S. Booth
The speaker is Relyk, my favorite original character. He's a, uh... mutilated, theatrical, infamous terrorist trying to make the world a better place, I guess you could say. I'll post his story on here eventually, when it's finished.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
Added on December 9, 2011
Last Updated on December 9, 2011

Author

Truman S. Booth
Truman S. Booth

the Bubble, UT



About
I am a young writer, but I believe that talent knows no age--although they tend to increase together. There are a few things I love, and a few things I hate. I love language, piano, animated movie.. more..

Writing