After Surgery

After Surgery

A Story by tracy kathleen
"

This week I had laproscopic surgery. My boyfriend and I had broken up, but he was still hovering in the ether. I wrote this two hours after I got home from surgery.

"
   I cried desperately after surgery. Surprised and confused by my own tears, an undeniable part of me was deeply saddened that he wasn't there. I just couldn't believe it. And not in my wildest conscious dreams would I expect or even fantasize about him being there. He is "swamped through Thursday". But I guess he is still deeply ingrained in my unconscious. I mean, I couldn't stop, I was devastated, but, actually I am having trouble naming the word. I wasn't disappointed- I wasn't expecting him. I was just deeply sad. Sad that I loved him so much and he would never be by my side for something like this. As I was unwaveringly at his side for every sickness. I was sad that for the first time I truly wished someone would be there with me. Other people had their family, husbands with them from 5am until the end. I was the only one to arrive alone. And it would've been the same growing up. I learned to not need, not want, because that's just not tolerable and not only would I not get any supportive love, but I'd be made to feel weak and stupid for wanting that in the first place. I built these walls of independence to survive. Survive the laid out path that no one would ever be there and no one would ever comfort me. So, I pretended I didn't need it. Pretended so well that I brought it with me as an adult. I think I even wore it as a badge of honor how "tough" I was. But as my heart opens I can feel this need. It's real and I actually feel it as deserved. In the past I could honor that as someone else's need, and now I can honor it for myself, my sweet loving self. And that is a miracle. I thank God for so much today. I am in so much pain and I can be THANKFUL for it- what a gift! I know someday someone will honor this love in me too. I will have the opportunity to open both sides of my heart and share in the receiving of love and not be afraid to accept the support. I will attract the right someone who won't promise to be there and then withdraw that promise- or make fun of me. 
    There was a sweet kind nurse who held me as I cried. She listened to my anesthetic attempt to express my sadness. She let me cry, she let me express how I just wished he was there. She agreed when I said that the reign of bad boyfriends was finished and the next one would be different. She held me and assured me that love is coming and yes- I do deserve it. Thank you Audrey. You kind wonderful stranger. To feel pure honest love and kindness from a stranger was no less sweet. It was inspiring and renewing. She knew only of the sadness and love she felt in me. Because she too is a human, she is just like me and has been sad and hurt herself. My barely comprehensible words didn't really matter, she just connected with my being, and I am so grateful to her. I want to send her a present. I want to send her a picture of my husband in the future. I want to send her a Christmas card every year updating her of our growing family and the love we are bringing to the world. Because in that moment, I connected as much to a stranger as I would anyone I've known for years, more even. And in a strong way, she helped make up for all those years of a lacking mother's love. All those times I reached for a feminine and mother's love, and received scorn. She showed me, in that moment, the truth of how to receive love without apology or fear. 

© 2013 tracy kathleen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on May 19, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2013
Tags: surgery, sadness, pain, love

Author

tracy kathleen
tracy kathleen

new york, NY



About
I am a woman rounding the edge of my wanderyaar. I have seen a lot. I love a lot. My palms have many lines. I am happy. more..

Writing