Day 1

Day 1

A Chapter by The Violent Wolf
"

Day 1 on the island!!

"
January 10, 2012 " Day 1
Hi, my name is Hannah. But nobody calls me that. NOBODY. I’m known as Boombox. I was given that name years ago, by a friend. This is a journal. Correction. It is MY journal. I started it now because…well, I’ll just start at the beginning.
I’m a Senior at Faith Academy in Manila, Philippines. “What’s that?” you ask? It’s a school in the Philippines, a third world country. Back to Seniors. At Faith Academy the Seniors get a Senior trip, a trip to anywhere they want to go, at the expense of however much their class saved up during the four years of high school. But they go as a class, so they have to all agree. That’s really hard, to get all 35 Seniors to agree on one place takes great skill.
But, thanks to Max, we decided to go to Rome. We left the Philippines near the end of the school year, planning to visit for a week before flying back. Rome was great, but our adventures there are for another time. We, all 35 of us Seniors, were on the plane, somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean, sometime in the middle of the afternoon, when IT happened. The explosion roared through the Nickelback I was playing via mega headphones. The engines had simply blown up. All four of them. Flames were pouring out of the engines, wrapping around the wings, licking at the windows. Eli was screaming like a little girl and somehow I found that funny, even in the midst of crisis, and laughed out loud. Nick, his arm around his girlfriend, looked at me like I was an idiot. I could feel the plane tipping forward as well as the pressure going down, making my ears pop. I tightened my seat belt and watched the greedy flames. “This is it.” I thought, my eyes tearing up, “My life is going to end right here, right now.” I looked over at him, sitting next to me. He had tears in his eyes, too. He grabbed my hand and I held it like a lifeline. I looked back out the window. The ocean flew up to meet us. Then there was only darkness.
Turns out that coral saved us, some of us at least. When we hit the water (going who knows how fast) we crashed right into a coral reef. I’m not sure how but we stayed afloat and safe except for some minor bumps and bruises. But, the thing is, the coral only saved some of us. The whole back half of the plane was gone. Poof! Wala na. Gone without a trace. How the heck did that happen?!
I woke up to find Mario staring at me and shaking my shoulder. I just stared at him, not remembering the horror we’d just gone through, and passed out.
When I woke back up I was confused for several reasons. 1. Where am I? 2. Where is everybody? 3. Who’s clothes was I wearing? 4. How the heck did I get in the clothes?!? And 5. Why does my head hurt? Then I passed out, again.
When I woke up, it was late afternoon. Chrysti was sitting on the sand next to me; she turned to me when she heard me move. Let me explain Chrysti to you, so that you’ll understand her better. Chrysti is peculiar. She has these bright, emerald green eyes that are riveting and when she looks at you it feels like she can look right into your soul. Chrysti also has really long golden blonde hair that’s perfectly straight, it’s beautiful to look at. The peculiar thing about this girl is her extreme liking of sharp objects. At the moment she was holding a butterfly knife, idly flipping the blade in, out and around. She stopped for a moment to ask how I was feeling. I’m gonna tell you now, my head felt terrible. It felt like some big dude had and still was taking a jackhammer to it. I could feel it throbbing. And my body felt like crap. I was so sore everywhere and I had cuts, scrapes and bruises all over me.
“The pilot was dead.” The soft voice didn’t fit what it had said. “What?!” I asked incredulously. “They were dead. Both of them. They’d been shot when Josh found ‘em,” she replied calmly, resuming the flipping. “Well who did it?” I asked. “I dunno,” she answered, nonchalantly shrugging her thin shoulders.
We sat there in silence, watching the sunset. It was very pretty, with all the reds, purples, yellows and oranges blending in together. It was pretty peaceful actually, just sitting there watching the sun, feeling the wind through my hair and sand under me, smelling the ocean. That’s when it dawned on me that we were on a beach. A real beach. And I couldn’t see any boats. “We’re shipwrecked aren’t we? Or plane-wrecked rather. Is this an island?” “Yup,” she said, “Mario and Nate walked around the whole island, took ‘em about 2 hours, I guess.”
Somehow I was not shocked at that piece of information. “Where’s the plane? Do you know?” I asked. “No idea. Actually, wait it’s somewhere out there. You could see it earlier, but it sunk about half an hour ago.” She answered.  I continued to inquire and found out that after the plane crashed all the students got together, collected what few bags and such as they could find, loaded it all on an inflatable raft and paddled out to the island. Evidently Patrick either carried or held me the whole time. I blushed when she said that, and I don’t normally blush. I hope Chrysti didn’t notice…
I could understand thought why Patrick would be the one who carried me. He always was the strongest guy in our class; nobody could beat him at strength competitions. Though he doesn’t look it. Patrick’s muscular, but not muscle bound. He just looks like a fit guy. And he’s pretty good looking, too. So the total effect makes a lot of girls have a crush on him. Although good looks is a key factor, a guys personality is important, too. But I didn’t get plane-wrecked on a mile and a half wide island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean just to discuss guys!
Later:
I’m sitting around the campfire with the remainder of my classmates. The fire’s warm, deliciously warm. It feels good after the cold we endured after the sun went down. It’s surprisingly windy out in the middle of the ocean. Nate, “that crazy pyromaniac” as Chrysti puts it, started the fire. He was the only one that could. All of us had been collecting dead wood by the light of the setting sun, which is really hard by the way. With all of us dashing around we collected a huge pile of wood, branches and brush. While dashing around I found some coconut trees. The wind coming off of the ocean had knocked some of these huge green nuts to the ground recently. So I grabbed some and somehow managed to get them all back to camp. Our campsite was in the area between the jungle and the beach. The ground there was the best we could find, dirt that was hard-packed and firm from the rain.
I’m too tired to write anymore but basically we had coconuts for our supper. Then we all layed down on the ground around the fire, guys and girls cuddling for warmth. Good night, I’m tired, it’s been a long day.


© 2012 The Violent Wolf


Author's Note

The Violent Wolf
please point out any spelling or grammar mistakes :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Totally interesting! For a minute, I thought this actually happened to you XD Me and blonde-ness over here. Anyways, I thought this was a pretty good first chapter! The only thing I would say critically would be that you kinda skipped right through the plane crash scene. Other than that, good work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


The Violent Wolf

11 Years Ago

lol if it did, well, idk lol awesome tnx xD
L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Welcome!
I thought it was interesting and it seems like it is building up to introduce us to some of the characters mentioned and get into the dynamics of the social order of the group. I definitely want to see what happens next! Good stuff. The only spelling error I really noticed was a to needed to be in a sentence. "I woke up find Mario staring at me and shaking my shoulder."

Posted 11 Years Ago


The Violent Wolf

11 Years Ago

awesome tnx :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 11, 2012
Last Updated on December 12, 2012
Tags: plane crash, boys, beach, sunset, fire


Author

The Violent Wolf
The Violent Wolf

Pascoag, RI



About
I can't write well upon demand. I have to wait until a picture, theme or whatever hits me. I use real world experiences in my writing. Music is an inspiration. Some of my poems or whatever are random,.. more..

Writing