Chasing The Shelter

Chasing The Shelter

A Poem by tynamite
"

Money and friends doesn't bring happiness, but it sure solves alot of problems. Adults tell ppl 2 enjoy their youth, when they can't always. How can sum1 persue opportunities dat don't exist anymore?

"
Don't you just hate them?
Those people who come from the good backgrounds?
There's always someone worse off too.
But that doesn't make your plight any easier.

When did it all become so hard?
Since what day did all these things matter?
To make it worse, the few elites run everything.
And most few are younger, brought in through nepotism.

I know I hated things before.
But there were good things, that once was.
Each day those things get further away.
Some miss the boat, for no fault of their own.

Before I was on the boat by default.
And now my time's up, I have to get on again.
But now the boat's still sailing without me.
Time doesn't slow down for the unfortunate.

The boat shelters me from the weather outside.
So at least I won't have to go through this.
If it's ever possible, for me to get on again.
I'll be like the young, and some others my age.

© 2011 tynamite


Author's Note

tynamite
This poem is about growing up, and being an adult. If you don't get it, enjoy your childhood while it lasts. When you're an adult, you'll understand. The things on the boat could be many things, money, friends, education, and becoming an adult.

This poem is about losing the protection you had as a child, because you're growing up. If you catch the boat, (a saying) you keep up, and don't fall behind, therefore keeping the protection that you had as a child. Everyone knows that when you're a child, things are handed to you on a plate, and that you don't have to do anything in your life, because many things don't matter to you. When you're an adult, that isn't the case, and somehow those things that never mattered, start to become important. You have to find your own way.

The shelter of the boat is what we all chase, and for some people, it can be out of reach no matter how far they walk.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this poem. It is a struggle, growing up. I must say that I struggle in this area myself still after my divorce. But it's boring in the boat being sheltered. Being independent and free far outweighs life in the miserable boat, atleast if you shared it with a controlling person.

Very interesting poem. It's refreshing. You don't read about this topic much. It is a struggle to grow-up and be responsible for your self at first.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

446 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 17, 2011
Last Updated on November 28, 2011
Tags: money, friends, poverty, loneliness, freedom, youth, opportunities, children, childhood

Author

tynamite
tynamite

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom



About
Hello peepz! I write novels and short stories in the "urban life" genre going for the "thought provoking" style. You could call it realism, but even romance and crime novels can be realistic, so I.. more..

Writing