Siren's Call

Siren's Call

A Story by Madi
"

[WP] In the heat of a naval battle, a siren's call is heard. Also inspired by: The Kyrenia Ship and the Sirens' original mythology.

"
All was blood and screaming. At every turn there was a snarling face, a swinging sword or chain. The sea tossed against our bound ship--bound by the ladders and ropes entangling the Beloved Persephone in a web so tight, I feared we would never escape. The pirates--the scum--had snuck out from behind a small island and fallen upon us like dogs on a bone. I heard Calix's battle cry from behind me, and downed the pirate lunging for me. The blood gurgled from the wound I'd produced on his throat, and I felt naught. Linus was at my back, and we circled, fighting off scores of the rats. Cyril was backed into a corner, lashing out at three swords. 
"This is an absurd number of pirates for a four-man vessel," I shouted above the roar of blood in my ears. 
"Perhaps they heard what we have in the hold, dear Demetrius," Linus responded, a small laugh hidden among his words. For someone so meek in conversation, he loved the thrill of a fight. As another man went down under Linus' spear, the song began.
I saw one man sink to his knees, before he fell to Calix's wrath. But then Calix himself slowed, and I felt Linus stiffen behind me. One by one, men turned to the shore and listened to the haunting melody. I found I was crying, and my heart longed for the singers. Three of them sat ashore, their feathers fluttering in a breeze we could not feel. The sea had calmed, but I could not grasp the words floating across the water. One by one the pirates dove into the waves and swam to shore. Cyril was standing on the edge as well, though Calix gripped him by a wrist. 
"We cannot jump in my friend; we will starve, just as She said." 
In spite of this knowledge, I yearned with all my heart to comfort the singers, and took steps toward the rail. 
"Stop." As commanded, my limbs froze, though the Siren song continued. The will of the goddess was more powerful than the song. She put a hand on Cyril's shoulder; it was enough to pull him back to our little vessel, still entrapped by the pirate ship. As she glided across the deck, running her fingers across the smooth wood, my eyes followed her. If Aphrodite could read my thoughts, she would smite me where I stood. Persephone was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, though she was not of the mortal realm. 
"We go on, gentlemen. My husband will not be occupied for long. Onward, to freedom." 
The sound of the Sirens seemed to fade as her command echoed in all of our ears.  We began loading up the pirate ship with the rest of the food, ambrosia, and wine. We left anything that was not useful, and to cover our tracks, nailed a curse to the mast of our dear ship before we sunk it. 
The sun was setting by the time we embarked, with Persephone at the bow. She waved toward the shore, and the Sirens fell silent, having found their goddess and lost her again.

© 2016 Madi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on October 21, 2016
Last Updated on October 21, 2016
Tags: greek, wp, writing prompt, persephone, mythology, siren, sirens, battle, ship, god, goddess

Author

Madi
Madi

About
I'm a 22 year old living in the United States, with a degree in Computer Science & Mathematics. I've been an aspiring author since I was in elementary school. My blog (the listed website) is a work.. more..

Writing
HyperCore HyperCore

A Story by Madi


Greek Squad Greek Squad

A Story by Madi