Chapter 4 Leo Bailey hates me.

Chapter 4 Leo Bailey hates me.

A Chapter by Calypso

I awkwardly walked into the office. It seemed odd to be here when I didn’t need to be.

“Morning Wilma.” Dr. Davis said surprised.

“Good morning.” I responded.

“You know you don’t have to work today.”

“I know, but I thought I would come.” I said with a small smile.

“Oh well.” Dr. Davis huffed handing me something. “Keep this.”

The thing was a white lineless index card in a plasic sheet. When I turned it over I discovered that it was a name tag.  “What do I do with it?”

“Wear it on days you work. The other kid, Leo, has one too.”

I tucked it in to my pocket and started walking. I wasn’t looking were I was going so I collided in a person. We both fell into the floor. I heard something break.

“Sorry. Sorry. Sorry.” I babbled confused.

The boy I had collided into had brown hair and warm brown eyes. He seemed pretty, but interesting over all.

He exhaled noisily under his breath as he looked at the broken glass. He rolled on to his knees.

“Where did that come from?” I asked trying to pick up the pieces.

“Don’t you’ll cut yourself.” He swated at my hand. Leo cupped one of his hands and started to carefully shards into the other. Leo placed the glass in a biohazard container that was near us.

“How did this happen?”

“Well I was carrying a syringe to Dr. Berryfield.”

“Sorry” I said again.

“Oh it’s fine. I’ll get the another one.” Leo huffed and got to his feet.

I moved my hand and when I did I happened to hit up against his name tag. It said ‘Leo Bailey’.

“So your Leo?” I asked standing up.

“Yes and your?”

“Will Mouser.”

“Will Mouser?” He asked.

“Ya, as in Dr. Mouser’s daughter.”

“You’re a girl but your name is Will.”

I sighed. “My full name is Wilma, but I decided to go by Will because Wilma is an old lady’s name.”

“Oh, but why does Dr. Davis call you Wilma?”

“I don’t know, but he does.”

He got another syringe and walked down the hall into the room.

“So that’s Leo.” I said under my breath.

I automatically walked into the room where Mom said Kiya would be in.

She was just wrapping up when I walked in.

“Will I called your Dad. Kiya’s going to have to go to the hospital. When he gets Kiya your going to go with him.”

“Is she that bad?”

Mom passed long enough to pull off her gloves. “She’s… not that well off.”

“What time is Dad coming?” I asked.

Mom started to walk out of the room. She meet with Leo “Could you get me a insulin shot?”

“Mom is he a helper?”

“Ya.” She said simply and then she turned to Leo “When you get it take to it your mom and tell her in give it to Mr. Waters in room 7.”

“Sure Dr. Mouser.”

“Is he a helper?”

“Ya, and it’s he’s first day if your were wondering.”

I suddenly felt a ping of resentment. Yesterday all I did was answer phones and almost get kicked by a little boy. I would have loved to delivered important things.

“Why does he get to do that?”

Mom walked up to a door room 11 and pulled out the chart. “Its just what we needed for him. Monday you could do something different. Why don’t you go off with Kiya. She’s in my office.” Mom then knocked on the door. “Can I come in Miss Phillips?”

A distant voice said “C’mon.”

I walked away before Mom could tell me to, but I didn’t go inside her office, I went looking for Leo.

He was sitting in the nurse’s section reading a magazine. When I came near him he looked up from the magazine long enough to see me pull up a chair.

He looked at me with a unsure gaze when I pulled up closer to him. I was bored and a common thing for me to do when I’m bored is talk to someone I don’t know well.

“What cha reading?”

Leo moved over a little so there was another inch in between us.

“Car magazine.” He said with a annoyed edge to his voice.

“Cool.” I started screeching my mind for topic to talk about. I wonder if he would like to talk about painting? Naw… He’s probably too cool to paint.

“Can I help you?” He asked finally after a long, akwardslience.

“I’m bored so I’d thought I would talk to you.”

“Why me?”

“Well it’s you, the nurses (who are busy) or my sister Kiya. I’d like to get to know you better.”

“Good enough for me.” Leo went back to reading the magazine.

There were another akward five minutes before I finally cracked. “what kind of cars do you like?”

Leo paused, sighed and said “Any. When I turn 16 I’m getting a Lincoln, it’s my grandmothers, but I’m saving my money to buy a better car when I become older.”

“I don’t like cars.” I said coolly.

“Most girls don’t. Most girls don’t even know how to fix cars.”

“Not all girls.” I said in defense.

 “Oh really? What do you do when your oil is low. You have to know that.”

I thought for a moment. “You put the oil in the hole on the engine.”

Leo nodded. “Okay then name what is usually under the hood of a car.”

I thought for a long time. Back a month ago Dad was trying to teach me how to drive (he wants me to know how to drive before taking my learner’s) and he went over the parts. I nodded then and forget them soon after.

“Told you didn’t I ?” Leo finally said with a voice filled with pride.

I shot before he could say anything else. “Name the notes in an F scale major.”

“I don’t know that.”

“I guess it’s personal interest. I like music, you like cars.”

He looked at the floor. “I guess so.”

I started reciting the notes anyways. “F, G, A, B flat…”

“Okay I get the point.” Leo said.

“I’m glad.”

I wanted to suddenly laugh but I knew Leo and I weren’t on the best of terms, so laughing wouldn’t help much.

“Wow boys have such fragile egos.”

“And girls are very emotional.” He said slowly.

“I’m going to ask you something rude.”

“Don’t ask me something rude.” He said placing his magazine on the table.

“Well I will anyways. Are you sexist?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“Just answer it.”

A women came up laughing. “Wow Leo this girl is pretty.”

“Mom!” Leo whined. “I’m talking to Will.”

“So you’re his mom?”

“Yes, don’t you think we look a like?”

I looked at both of them. My eyes when between the women and Leo. She had his hair color and his chin looked a lot like his as did his neck.

“Yes.”

His mom smiled triumphantly.

“So what’s the question?” His mom asked.

“Is Leo sexist?”

“Sometimes. If depends on the girl.”

“Did you have to tell her that?”

“Well she asked, Leo.”

“It’s okay. I think some groups of people are stupid and overly esteemed.” I said.

“Who?” Leo asked.

“It’s a secret.”

“Well you can at least tell me. You found out something about me, now it’s your turn.”

I looked up at his mom. “You didn’t tell me that, your mom did.”

“Then how do you know it’s true.”

“Because she’s your mom.” I said with a twist of attitude.

“Well then I’ll ask your mom something.”

Just then Mom turned around the corner with a folder in her hands. “Go ahead and ask her if I’m a vegetarian.”

“A vegetarian?”

“Yes. C’mon she’s coming close.”

Leo paused and finally busted out, “Hay Dr. Mouser is Will a vegetarian?”

Mom jumped because she didn’t expect Leo to shout. She recomposed her self. “Yes. You finally met Leo, Will that’s good.”

Leo turned to me. “How do I know your mom’s telling the truth?”

“I live with her!” I exclaimed.

“So you’re a tad bit sexist…” I started, but Leo interrupted.

“And you’re a vegetarian. Why?”

“I believe in animal rights.”

“Oh, that’s cool.”

We paused, but before we could talk any more Dad walked up to Mom.

“Ready to go?” He asked heading for Mom’s office.

“Sure.”

I walked out of the doctor’s office to the car and waited for them.

 



© 2011 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wonder how old this kids are? Did it say that in the beginning? They have to be old enough for a job, yet they don't drive? It's rare to get a job at fourteen/fifteen. Even at sixteen.
They act so childish for their age. I feel like the character reactions isn't realistic at all. But I'm curious to know what is happening with Kiya.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
1 Review
Added on March 21, 2009
Last Updated on July 30, 2011


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso