Chapter 13 - Not this again

Chapter 13 - Not this again

A Chapter by Calypso

Chapter 12

 

            I had slept for 10 hours, but it felt like a eternity.

Dad was down stairs balancing the remote in his hand. Waffles were waiting for me in the microwave.

“Good morning beautiful.” Dad said. He smiled kindly, but weakly. He had always sung that song to Mom and he would start saying that to me sometimes. In the mornings years ago I would wake up to the sound of him trying to play it on the piano, but he failed miserably. Trying to out do Dad I was able to learn the notes and Mom and Dad knew then that I was gifted in music. At that point they bought the lessons. 

“Hello Dad.”

“What have you forgotten?” He asked.

“How was your night? Mine was wonderful. With you by my side.” I sighed saying the lyrics. “Ya I remember.” 

“Good. Good.” He nodded. “I just wish that the night was good. My head is killing me.”

“When the last time you sung that to Mom?” I asked.

“The other night, she was crying.”

“How long as it been?” I asked.

“What?” Dad paused and then said “Oh Kiya? How long has Kiya been dead?”

I nodded weakly. “It’s so hard to tell. The days seems to mash together anymore.”

“A week. She died Sunday, today’s Saturday.” 

I took my food and sat by him. We didn’t speak and I picked at my food.

“Well I’ve got to go.” He said finally.

“Why?”

“I’m going back to work today. It… helps.”

“Helps what?”

“Keep my mind on other things.”

“Well then have a good day.”

He stood up and put his shoes on. “I might. I have a story on the park they are rebuilding on Dewberry Avenue. You wouldn’t mind to read over chapter 1 of my novel would you?”

“Not at all.”

“Good. I got someone at work to edit it and Dr. Davis read and now I would like you to.”

“Fine then. See ya around Dad.”

I put the rest of my breakfast in the trash and napped on the couch.   

I went into a deep sleep within minutes. When I woke up the sky was covered over with clouds. I dreamily walked into Dad’s study and turned on his computer.

I held my head in my hands. I started to feel as I had forgotten my dreams and I was supposed to remember them.

In the folder dubbed “Bricks of Kingdom Come” was the novel. There were three documents that were labeled chapter 1 so I clicked on the third one hoping that was the edited one.

‘She smiled as she touched the little box in her pocket.’ I read. ‘Nicole wasn’t so sure what about the box made her happy. Maybe it was that the situation was being resolved, or maybe because she finally getting rid of the ring’.

I stood up to open the window after the first paragraph. The room felt stuffy. The chair beside the window seemed inviting so I sat in it and stared out the window to the curb across the street.

Kiya was a gentle girl. I first found that out when I had gone outside again and saw her playing in the rain.

It was a light drizzle and most people who avoid the rain, but Kiya would thrive in water. At some point she would come to be called Miss Foggy and it came from the second time I saw her.

“Why you out here?” I asked. She kneeled trying to play with a frog. Kiya was out near the curb that’s across from the house. 

This time she turned around to face me. “I told my Mommy about you. She wanted to know how old you are and where you live.”

I pause. “Why?”

“She told me she wanted to make sure you wouldn’t cause any trouble. You know really older kids are mean sometimes.”

“Well I’m 9 and I live on Dewberry Avenue.”

Kiya stood up and put out her hand. “Wait a second .I need to tell my Mommy this.”

Kiya ran into the house and I was left outside in the rain. At first I thought she would never come outside again. Then Mom opened the door and waved for me to come.

I ran into the house.

“I’m sorry.” Mom said.

“Its okay.” I said rubbing my arms. The rain sitting on my arms was causing them to become cold.

“So your…?”

“Will.”

“Oh now I remember.”

“C’mon Will lets go outside again.”

“Kiya do think that’s wise?” Mom asked.

“Its okay. Mrs. …” I started.

 “Nora. Call me Nora.”

“Its okay Nora.” I said placing my hand on Mom. “I don’t mind much.”

“But Kiya you could get sick.” She said shooting her a look.

“well I think I have to go.” I said feeling the room become tense. “I think my foster mom will send my foster sister after me soon. Bye.”

I quickly ran out of the house.

“Will?” Mom called out.

“What?” I yelled back as I walked out of Dad office. She was standing in her doorway with a basket of clothes in her hand.

“Oh there you are. I was worried.” She whispered. “I figured you have gone to Mrs. Walker’s. I was worried that…”

“I’m okay Mom.” I said sympathy.

She walked forward some and then stopped.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Will you help? My bones are hurting.”

“Your bones?”

“It’s just grief.” She sighed.

I took the basket from her and went down stairs to do the laundry.  

                       


© 2011 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
Added on January 10, 2010
Last Updated on July 30, 2011


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso