July 21

July 21

A Chapter by Calypso

July 21

            Dad gazed quickly over the classroom. “Please open your Bible to Psalms 107.”

            There was a soft rustle of pages that almost sounded like rain. “Where is it?” Someone called out.

            “In the book of Psalms. If you are in Romans you’re too far and if you’re in 1 Kings you’re too far ahead. If you’re in Moses then you’re not reading the Christian Bible.”

            Some laughed and others realized that there really was no ‘book of Moses’ in the Bible.

            That was just like Dad. In real life he never said a joke but when he was preached he said a few.

            Dad looked down at his Bible and started to read, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his loves endures forever.” Dad paused to write something on the white erase board behind me. The he wrote one word ‘Help’.

            “Does anyone have an idea why I wrote this?”

            No one spoke. The room was quite and Dad took that as he signal to keep going. “Let’s move to verse 10. ‘Some sat in darkness and the deepest gloom, prisoners in iron chains’. Would some of you say that you are in the deepest depression or you feel like you’re trapped?’ Now look at verse 18 please. Would anyone like to read?”

            Once again no one said anything so Dad after clearing his throat he continued, “They loathed all food and drew near the gates of death. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble and he saved them from his distress. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men.’” Dad closed his Bible and looked up. For a second I was sure he was looking at me, but he could have been looking at the people behind me.

            “God saves lives. We know that he died on the cross so we won’t go to hell, but while you’re on Earth he helps us out here too.”

            “So that’s why you put that there.” Said a girl to my right. “God can help. But why doesn’t he?”

            I know Dad had heard this a lot. He once told me that was one of the questions he was been asked the most. I knew the answer by heart and I found myself speaking up despite wishing to, “God will save us, but that’s if we let him. We have to give him out troubles. He knows best and he can use our pain for His glory.”

            Dad looked at me. He seemed to be surprised I even spoke. I talk when I feel like in Bible studies.

            Dad winked and smiled, “Yes that’s right.”

            I could feel a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Dad and I both knew it would be too awkward to speak before the Bible study. After winking at me he turned back to the dry erase board behind him. “Just as she said God helps us all. Sometimes though it happens on his time and not ours. There’s a reason why you’re here at Bryant’s; God choose this time to be time for you to become better. He wants you to be healthy.”

            Dad looked at me. I knew that he had said that for me to hear. I know he cares about the teens here, but I’m always on his mind now.

            I pulled out a piece of paper and started to doodle.

            “By next week I want you to have read Psalms 108 and 109. Have a good day.”

            I sat in seat and waited for the classroom to be empty before moving.

            As I stood up Dad walked towards me with his arms open, but before he could hug me I took a photo of him.

            He blinked a few times and stepped back. “What’s up with that?”

            I lowered the camera enough to see his face. “Our assignment for this week is to take candid photos.”

            He nodded slowly, “Next time just tell me.”

            “Then it wouldn’t be candid.”

            He then hugged me for what seemed to be forever. As his arms when back to his side he said, “You look healthy.”

            “Thanks” I mumbled. We walked out into the hallway and I was about to faint as Janna came close to us. My mind started to race. I wonder how much trouble I would be in if Dad knew I was breaking rules here?

            “Hello Pastor Conrad how are you?”

            Dad stuck out his hand and Janna followed suit. “Well, thank you. How is our Aelge?”

            “She’s has been doing well.”

            Dad smiled proudly. “She looks beautiful.”

            “Aww how sweet Pastor Conrad.

            “I’m just glad to see her better.”

            After Janna left Dad hugged me one last time and I went off to lunch thankful that Janna had kept her word.

           

           



© 2012 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved the candid photo joke. It was my favorite part of this chapter~

Posted 12 Years Ago


A nice chapter

Posted 13 Years Ago


Another really good chapter for your book.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, I will read the other chapters later to catch up!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

514 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2010
Last Updated on March 24, 2012


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


August 23 August 23

A Chapter by Calypso