Another day at the job.

Another day at the job.

A Story by Calypso
"

This isn't true. I'm not sure if its funny or scary.

"

I originally got the job on a dare. When many would assume that a dare is funny this isn’t true to me. For me dares consist of productive and common feats. Last month my friends dared me to get a job at the movie theater.

            Now most people would agree that a job at the movie theater isn’t the end of the world. The benefits include free movies, the constant smell of buttered popcorn in the air, and watching little children try to wrestle a claw machine for a prize they never won.    

            Nevertheless you go into my high school and say that you work at ‘Ben’s Movie Theater’ and you’ll be called a variety of vulgar and un-tastefull names. No one’s sure why the slander started (it could be because we’re located in a high drug trafficking area).

In the darkness of the movie theater I have seen it all. I’ve seen people pull enough food from their purses for a feast. I’ve seen people hold up cameras trying to pirate them. By far the worst is when the girls lift up their shirt just enough for her man to grab what was under there.

            Most of my shifts are on the weekend from 5 p.m. to midnight; its not as if I have a life. That would be an absurd assumption.

            The friend that dared me to take up the job chicken out and never took it. On Friday nights when he wants to take out his girlfriend he is sure to go to the better, but more expensive, theater across town.

            So I spend every Friday night cleaning drug needles out of the toilet, sweeping the crack off the floor before the cops show up and scrapping gum off of the seats.

            When I was about to leave last Saturday there was a dead body shoved up into the vending machine. I didn’t linger around too long because I didn’t want to be next.

            It’s just another day at the job.

© 2012 Calypso


Author's Note

Calypso
Fifth
Apr 7, 2012

A Comedy
Another day at the job.

good try!
Dec 6, 2011

SHORT STORY CONTEST :)!
Another day at the job.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

um..everyone seems to think this is funny but i was kind of bored idk y it just didn't seem that hilarious xD but u know everyone is different with different opinions :D and if others like it keep it up!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is really quite an evocative short story. Thank you

Posted 12 Years Ago


i think its funny, but thats just me. i liked it(:

Posted 12 Years Ago


How would you fit a body... nevermind. That's a long dark road that I shouldn't embark on, lest the last ribbons of my sanity slip away.
That was a nice little story. Short, funny, realistic? No, um... gritty. Yeah that's it. Keep up the good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


hahaha. "So I spend every Friday night cleaning drug needles out of the toilet, sweeping the crack off the floor before the cops show up and scrapping gum off of the seats. " PRICELESS. And the last line is just the cherry on top. This would be a great prologue introducing a character and a place I'd love to read more about.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I find your style interesting. Grammar's good too. The story i find a bit hard core, which isn't bad at all. I do think it would sound much better if you extend it into a full short story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was a great story. Love the black humour at the end. You have a great talent

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great short story. Great use of irony, I always find it interesting when the surreal becomes the real in a story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Haha this was great!!!:) I thought our movie theater was bad, but i think you won! Nice job

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh my!!!! I found this highly entertaining. You do have a way with a story that's for sure. Yes i found myself chuckling a time or two and even sending forth a gasp, but let me tell you, this is good! Maybe you can make a series of them. Like one of every week on the Fridays?

Good job!
Mags xx

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

422 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2011
Last Updated on April 7, 2012
Tags: job, movie

Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


August 23 August 23

A Chapter by Calypso