August 11

August 11

A Chapter by Calypso

August 11

            That sun burn toward out to be a blistering annoyance. I couldn’t help but to curse my luck over this past summer. I have been sick and hurt more times then I can count.

            Luckily for me though Dad decided that I best stay home. I ended up undressing pouring milk all over my self (it said on the internet that it help) and soaked in the tub until he came home.

            I had the door locked so I decided to sit on the toilet, naked, and let the water dry off of that way. A towel would have hurt like the dickens.

            Dad must have understood because he let me be in the bathroom. He only knocked a few times to make sure that I was okay.

            I didn’t open the door until Dad called for me.

            “What is it?”

            “Phone for you!” I could hear his voice coming closer.

            Mumbling I dressed in a housecoat opened the door and took the phone from him.

            “This is Aelge.”

            “Hello Aelge. How are you?” It was Belle. I could feel my stomach drop. What did I do now?

            “Well, is… everything okay?”

            “Better then okay. Earlier today I talked to my supervisor about you and he said he would like to interview you Tuesday.”

            My heart started beating faster. “That’s great. What am I being interviewed for?”

            “As an intern. I know it might sound bad, but it’s a way to get your foot in the door.”

            I pressed the phone in my face. “So is there anything special I should do? Like dress up or…”

            Belle quickly interrupted me, “I would be best for you to play a piece on the piano that you know well and to dress up and be ready to play it when it comes time.”

            “When will be?”

            “Tuesday at 2 p.m.”  I paused to try to remember what happens at 2. “Thankfully for me that’s the beginning of free time.”

            Belle’s end went fuzzy for a second but I still could hear her respond, “I know. It’s good to have friends in high places.”

            I didn’t cure how I looked but after I hung up I flew out of the bathroom and tore into the desk drawers. I dug through pile after piles of sheet music, but there was one I wanted more then the others.

            It was looking of a piece of music I had perfected years ago. If I remember right it was the one I played in my eighth grade talent show.

            The sheet music was filed into a plastic container under my bed.

            Working quickly set my baby grand piano up so I could play it. I haven’t touched it in so long that it feels foreign so it and place my finger upon the glistening ivory keys. Once I started playing things came back. It was like a swamp of emotions and memories hit at once.

            “What a sight for sore eyes.” Dad mumbled. Standing the doorway of his room with coffee in hand he looked satisfied. “How long has it been?”

            My fingers paused, hovering over the keys I was going to press next. “Six months. Give or take.”

            Dad carefully sipped his steaming hot coffee. He sat his on top of the piano and came back with another cup for me.

            Before retreating into his room he kindly patted me on the back and smiled. Dad, man of few words, had said enough with that little gesture. He wanted to let me know that he’s proud.

            So for the rest of the day I practiced. Dad often came out of his room smiling and without speaking I know what he was thinking. When I’m healthy it feels our world with joy. 



© 2011 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yay her life is getting back to normal~ I hope it stays that way

Posted 12 Years Ago


Life is coming back into her. It's nice to see a little happiness come into her and her father's life after so much coldness. Right now there is hope for her.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the fact that she is finding her old pasion again and that life seems to be getting better for her. I hope,it lasts.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the last line. I think you meant "fills" instead of "feels." Anyway, this was another very strong chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

643 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2011
Last Updated on February 26, 2011


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


August 23 August 23

A Chapter by Calypso


June 15 June 15

A Chapter by Calypso