August 17

August 17

A Chapter by Calypso

August 17

            I was dressed by eight, but I didn’t have to be there until ten. Even Dad dressed in his best. He told me later last night that pushed back his events for today so he could come to my performance. I was touched to say at the least.

            I had my sheet music on the side table by the door and once it was 9:15 I was out of the door before Dad.

            Where I was performing today was located in an upscale music hall in northern Chicago. The floors of the entrance were made of marble and there were five large crystal chandlers hanging twenty feet into the air.

            Dad seemed mesmerized too. I was extremely surprised that I was being allowed to play here.

            A tall man in a black suit gracefully walked towards us with his hand extended. “And you would be?”

            Dad firmly took the man hand, “I’m Conrad Howard and this is my daughter Aelge. She is supposed to perform today.”

            The man face lit up, “Miss Howard very nice to see you.” I just realized that this man was one of the guys whom interviewed me.

            He guided us into another, just as grand, dining room. The floors were made of marble and there were ten similar large crystal chandlers hanging above the well-decorated tables.

            Dad elbowed me and whispered, “You did well to get here.”

            I was guided towards the grand piano in the corner of the room. It was black and beautiful. I sat my music on the stand and sat on the bench.

            “When should I start playing?”

            The man looked at the watch on his wrist, “When people start coming in. I’d say that would be in five minutes.”

            “Are there other people playing?”

            The man looked at me like I was crazy. “Of course. They’re just located at different places.”

            I blushed, “Of course.”

            The man raised a fist to his mouth and cleared his throat. “Well I’m sure you should start warming up now.”

            I nodded feverishly and placed my fingers on the keys.

            As the people filled in I played the song I practiced for so long. That man would come back with cups of coffee and slices of cake for me during breaks.

            By the time I was finished everyone was gone and the busboys were wiping off the tables.

            “You have a talent.” The man said after wards. Dad seemed proud too when we left.

            Before leaving the music therapist (who was also playing that night) told me to come by her room on Monday during free time so I could practice for a dinner next month.

            I smiled and responded that I’d love to.

           

           



© 2011 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm lad this went so well for her! She can make something great of her life. i know that guilty feeling that you're moving on when, in this case, her sister isn't. But it needs to be done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


That seemed to go smoothly. Even having cake to eat didn't bother her. This was a very peaceful chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago


She seems to be doing well. This was nice

Posted 13 Years Ago


She's got a future. Thats extremely important.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

481 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2011
Last Updated on March 17, 2011


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


August 23 August 23

A Chapter by Calypso


June 16 June 16

A Chapter by Calypso


July 20 July 20

A Chapter by Calypso