August 20

August 20

A Chapter by Calypso

August 20

            I wasn’t sure what I expected today but I was surprised by what did happen.

            Jamie was so kind to me when she saw me. I half expected her to come over and slap me but instead she smiled and asked how I was doing.

            I was on my way to the music therapy room when she pulled me over.

            “Ahhh… Well… I guess okay?”

            She brought both feet together and cocked her head slightly, “I don’t know what’s it’s like in here. I shouldn’t judge you. I prayed for you in fact.”

            I smiled largely, “I’m happy that you prayed for me.”

            I saw a sparkle in her eye. You could see the happiness my compliment gave her.

            “I am leaving in a week, but I’m sure you’ll see a lot around. I’m also an intern to the music therapist.”

            Jamie bobbed her head, “That’s great to hear. I bet your dad is happy.”

            I had to think about that one. Dad isn’t the type to have his heart on his sleeves and he can often be as easy to read as a book in a dark room but he’s a caring man. “Of course he is.”

            I was about to walk away when I froze and turned to Jamie. “You don’t have anything planned, do you?”

            She furled her brow. “What do you mean by that?”

            I could tell she was confused and a little bit offended. “Let me rephrase it. DO you have anything planned for the next ten minutes?”

            “Not necessarily…”

            “And do you have any history with music?”

            “Sure I do. I was in the state youth orchestra for years.”

            I couldn’t help but to answer back, “I would like for you to come with me and listen while I play… to, you know catch any mistakes you may hear.”

            She kindly told me she would go, but for just a few minutes. Any longer would be abusing her privileges.

            Once in the music room I motioned towards the mini refrigerator that the music therapist just put in her office.

            “Would you like something to drink?” I had no clue what was in there. The mini frig could contain human blood and pig eyeballs for all I know. I just wanted to seem welcoming.

            I sat down in front of the keyboard and started playing Psalms 43. The song probably only last for five minutes, but it seems to longer then that when you’re playing, or faster it all depends on your mood. For me it seemed to last longer. Maybe under Jamie’s borderline critical gaze time slowed down.

            At the end of the piece I paused and looked to Jamie. She had her chin cupped with her right hand and her left elbow was being supported by her other hand. “Well it seemed around one measure you hit the wrong note… and the tempo was off by a bit. Despite that… not bad, really.”

            I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to fell secured by her last sentence or not. Most musicians will nitpick your performance and never say anything good. I could tell Jamie wasn’t stretching the truth on anything she said. I must be a good player.

            “I appreciate you stopping by.” I said after turning around to see her.

            She smiled kindly, “You have a talent. Maybe kismet has you in its favor.”

            I wanted to ask what kismet meant, but I didn’t want to look stupid. I guessed that kismet was something good.

            Jamie hunched over my music and starred it down. She had pressed a skinny finger at measure 101 and just about then the music therapist walked in.

            “Aelge I’m surprised to see you here. You should have gone to group therapy five minutes ago.” She said in her normal sternness.

            I slowly picked up my sheet music, put it in my folder and waved at Jamie.

            And with that I didn’t go to group therapy but instead sat in the TV room and watched the History Channel until dinner.



© 2012 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting. Maybe she had made a new friend? But why wouldn't she go to group therapy?

Posted 12 Years Ago


A nice positive moment and nicely topped off with a bit of rebellion.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Aelge is moving on with her life and seems to be happy. This was a great chapter

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

618 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 25, 2011
Last Updated on August 12, 2012
Tags: Therapy, Bulimia, Pastor's kid, journal, rehab


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


August 23 August 23

A Chapter by Calypso


June 16 June 16

A Chapter by Calypso


July 20 July 20

A Chapter by Calypso