Mourning Glory

Mourning Glory

A Screenplay by Claire Darrow

Mourning Glory

FADE IN:

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY

LUCILLE (15) and GLORIA (16) sit side by side on the green grass. Music plays from a small portable RADIO. Gloria rips open an envelope of ’MORNING GLORY’ SEEDS.

LUCILLE

Are you sure these will work?


GLORIA

Of course I am. My older brother does it all the time. They really make you trip!


LUCILLE

I don’t know about this…


Gloria stuffs a fist full of ’Morning Glory’ seeds in her mouth and begins chewing. She extends the envelope of seeds to Lucille.

GLORIA

Don’t be scared, Lucille. Lucille hesitates but eats the entire bag of seeds.


CUT TO:

The two girls dance and sing to Elvis Presley’s Heartbreak Hotel. Gloria holds out a Polaroid CAMERA and takes a picture of Lucille and herself.

INT. NURSING HOME - NIGHT

Lucille (74) sits in a rocking chair by the window. She has a blue scarf wrapped around her bald head, she stares at the wrinkled, old POLAROID yet she is surrounded by dozens of photographs and posters of Gloria and herself. They all read: “Gloria Gilmore and Lucille Diamond on Broadway.” A young NURSE approaches Lucille with a tray of PILLS, a glass of WATER and an ENVELOPE.

NURSE (overly cheery)

It’s time for your medication Ms. Diamond. And look! You have mail!


Lucille takes the pills in silence. The nurse notices the photograph.

NURSE

I’m so sorry you had to miss the funeral.


LUCILLE (teary eyed)

Me too. Chemo’s a b***h.


Uncomfortable, the nurse leaves. Lucille inspects the envelope, there’s no return address. She carefully opens it and a packet of 'Morning Glory' seeds and a letter falls into her lap. She unfolds the letter and begins reading.

GLORIA (V.O.)

Dearest Lucille, Don’t think you’re rid of me quite yet. We’re taking one last trip together. Don’t be scared, I’ll be right by your side the whole way. Your first mission isn’t easy. You must break out of the nursing home and make it to Broadway. Your first clue awaits at The Silver Theatre. " Gloria

Her extravagant signature takes up most of the page.

INT. NURSING HOME - NIGHT

Lucille checks the clock: it’s 1 am. Go time. She collects Gloria’s letter, the ’Morning Glory’ seeds, the old POLAROID and her cane, then exits her room.

INT. NURSING HOME HALLWAY - NIGHT

Lucille hobbles down the abandoned hallway with her cane. She hears someone coming and ducks around a corner. She waits for the SECURITY GUARD to pass and then continues down the hall. Finally she reaches a giant glass display that reads: EZ-5000 MOBILITY SCOOTER. A shiny, red scooter sits proudly upon the display. She carefully mounts the scooter and presses a button to start the engine. The sound alerts the security guard

SECURITY GUARD

Hey! What are you doing!?


The security guard runs towards Lucille and attempts to block her path. Lucille puts the pedal to the floor and flies off the display, catching some air. She swings her cane and knocks the security guard off his feet. She flees the scene at an agonizingly slow pace while the security guard lies on the floor in agony.

INT. NURSING HOME LOBBY - NIGHT

A few nurses gossip behind the front desk. Lucille rides past them unnoticed and exits out the front door. A minute later, the security guard arrives, completely out of breath. He turns to the nurses at the front desk.

SECURITY GUARD

I need you to call Ms. Diamond’s next of kin and tell them she’s gone rogue.


EXT. AMSTERDAM AVE. NEW YORK, NY - NIGHT

Lucille speeds down the side street at 5 mph. She raises her fist in the air. Clutched in her fist is the old photograph.

LUCILLE

Woohoo!! We did it!!!


INT. LUCY’S BEDROOM - NIGHT

The phone rings. LUCY DIAMOND (25), named after her grandmother, wakes up and answers.

LUCY

Hello?


NURSE (O.S.)

Hello, this is Carly from Long Island Retirement Village. May I please speak with Lucille Diamond’s granddaughter?


LUCY

Speaking.


NURSE

I’m so sorry to wake you Ms. Diamond, but it seems we have a situation on our hands.


LUCY (urgent)

What kind of situation?

There is a pause while the nurse explains.

LUCY

I’ll be right there.


Lucy hangs up the phone while the nurse is still speaking, puts on a robe, grabs her keys and rushes out the door.

INT. SUBWAY - NIGHT

A sign reads: G " Long Island City Court Sq. An elevator door opens and Lucille rides out on her scooter. She waits and eventually boards a subway car.

INT. SUBWAY CAR - NIGHT

Lucille wheels her scooter to the allotted handicap space. Her large scooter sticks out in the aisle. The subway car is fairly empty at first but becomes more crowded as it approaches Manhattan. It seems like the majority of the passengers are trashed. Someone almost pukes on Lucille but manages to make it off the train first. At the next stop, two belligerent drunk men board the train and begin arguing with each other in the aisle right over Lucille. Lucille starts panicking as the fight grows increasingly louder. As they approach the next stop, Lucille starts to drive her scooter forward but, before the doors open one of the men pulls a knife on the other. Lucille is frozen in fear. She instinctively grabs the old POLAROID and shields herself with it. The man jabs his knife forward.

GLORIA (V.O.)

(seems to come from the POLAROID)

Don’t be scared, Lucille.

Lucille swings her cane and knocks the knife out of the man’s hand. The man is frozen in shock. The subway doors open and the man darts out the door. The other man picks up the knife and runs after him. No one else seemed to notice the commotion. Lucille starts laughing out loud to herself. The subway is no match for her. Eventually the train arrives at Lucille’s stop. She exits the subway.

EXT. BROADWAY BLVD. NEW YORK, NY - NIGHT

The elevator doors open and Lucille is on the streets of New York City. The lights are bright and dazzling. Sirens echo in the distance. This city never sleeps. The people of New York City are strange and Lucille and her mobility scooter don’t seem to draw very much attention. She drives away into the busy street.

INT. NURSING HOME - NIGHT

Lucy Diamond stands in front of the security guard and a few nurses.

SECURITY GUARD

She got me real good, right in the gut. She’s a feisty one.


LUCY

How could you have let this happen? You’re supposed to be watching her! I should sue! Lucy notices Gloria’s letter on Lucille’s nightstand. She picks it up and examines it.


LUCY

I’ll find her myself. Lucy storms out the door.


EXT. THE SILVER THEATRE - NIGHT

Lucille stares up at it The Silver Theatre and all its glory. Lucille tries the door. It’s locked. She presses her face up against the glass window. She can barely make out a man’s silhouette. She bangs on the door loudly and JAMES (32) comes to the door.

JAMES

We’re closed.


He starts the close the door but Lucille sticks her cane between the door so he can’t.

LUCILLE

You don’t understand. I need to get inside. I’m Lucille Diamond.


JAMES (scoffs)

If YOU’RE Lucille Diamond then I must be Elvis Presley.


LUCILLE

I am THE Lucille Diamond. I performed here for over 30 years.


JAMES

Prove it. Sing something.


LUCILLE

I don’t really sing much anymore…


JAMES

You’re wasting my time.


James attempts to shut the door once more.

LUCILLE

Wait! I’ll sing. On one condition.


INT. THE SILVER THEATRE - NIGHT STAGE

Lucille stands center stage with her cane. A spotlight pops on, blinding her. She takes a few steps back, unsure.

JAMES

Come on now, I don’t have all night.


Lucille steps back into the spotlight and brings her cane to her lips like a microphone.

LUCILLE

(singing both parts of the duet “I Will Never Leave You” from Sideshow)

What have we done? Learned the truth. Closed a door. Opened more. I’m scared, Daisy. Of what? Being alone. But you’re not You never have been If we stood on our tiptoes We could peek over the sill And once in a while we would see a girl Slowly walking up the hill. And we’d think what a sad situation. To be outside on your own. To go through the town with no playmate. To go through life all alone. I will never leave you I will never go away We were meant to share each moment Beside you is where I will stay. Evermore and always We’ll be one though we’re two For I will never leave you. When the day is filled with shadows That stretch into the night. I am filled with your sweet comfort Like morning fills with light. I will never leave you I will never go away We were meant to share each moment Beside you is where I will stay Evermore and always We’ll be one though we’re two For I will never leave you. No, I will never leave you. I will never leave you. I will never go away We were meant to share each moment. Beside you is where I will stay. That’s where I will stay. Evermore and always. Evermore. We’ll be one though we’re two. One though we’re two. For I will never I will never I will never leave you.

James erupts in a flurry of applause.

LOBBY

JAMES

Good night Ms. Diamond. It’s an honor to have met you.


James hands Lucille another envelope and leaves. Lucille opens the letter and starts reading.

GLORIA (V.O.)

Dearest Lucille, I knew you still had it in you. A round of applause for The Great Lucille Diamond. Your next mission is to go to Central Park and find the place we took our first trip together so many long years ago. I’ll give you a hint: follow the flowers. " Gloria


Lucille leaves the letter on the counter, mounts her scooter and rolls out the door.

EXT. BROADWAY BLVD. NEW YORK, NY - NIGHT

Lucy runs frantically through the street asking random pedestrians for help:

LUCY

Excuse me, have you seen an elderly woman on a scooter? Can you tell me where The Silver Theatre is located? I’m lost, can you give me directions? Grandma! Lucille!


Eventually someone stops to give her directions to the theatre. As she listens to them, Lucille drives by in the background, headed the opposite direction.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - NIGHT

Lucille pulls up to Central Park and dismounts the scooter. She carefully navigates the park in search of a clue.

LUCILLE (to herself)

Follow the flowers…hmm..follow the flowers. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Lucille is getting very frustrated. It’s dark under the shade of the trees and she can’t see very well. Her foot catches on a rock and she’s flung forward and rolls down a small hill. Lucille is ready to explode. She rolls over and opens her eyes. Right in front of her face is a bright, blue flower. She quickly gets up and brushes herself off. Before her is a long trail of Morning Glory flowers. Lucille follows the long and windy trail, careful not to step on any flowers. Finally she reaches the beautiful spot between the trees overlooking the pond where Lucille and Gloria first tripped together. At the end of the trail is a rock. Painted on the rock is two words: Open it. Lucille tears open the envelope of ’Morning Glory’ seeds. Inside is the last letter.

GLORIA (V.O.)

Dearest Lucille, Thanks for taking one last trip with me. It’s been one hell of a ride. Remember, don’t be scared of ANYTHING. If you trip and fall, get right back up. You are fearless Ms. Diamond. Now eat up! " Gloria


Lucille wipes away tears. She dumps the envelope of seeds in her mouth and lies down, clutching the old, POLAROID.

EXT. THE SILVER THEATRE - NIGHT

Lucy bangs loudly on the locked door. Eventually James opens the door.

JAMES

Miss, we are CLOSED.


LUCY

Where is she?! I know she was here!


JAMES

I’m afraid I don’t know to whom you are referring.


LUCY

Don’t you dare play games with me. My grandmother is sick and it’s up to me to take care of her. Tell me where she is. NOW.


JAMES

Well you are the spitting image of her youth. (hesitates) She left this behind.


James hands Lucy the letter and closes the door. Lucy scans the letter and then sprints off in the direction she came from.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - NIGHT

Lucille is still lying in the grass. The Park fades away and she is left lying alone in an endless abyss. She slowly stands.

LUCILLE

Gloria! Gloria!! Lucille walks around in circles shouting her friends name.


Gloria (74) steps out of the abyss, towards Lucille. Lucille relaxes at the sight of her old friend.

LUCILLE

Gloria! I thought I lost you. Gloria’s ghost smiles and places a weightless hand on Lucille’s heart.


Suddenly, Lucille (15) and Gloria (16) run past Lucille and Gloria’s ghost vanishes. Lucille observes teenage Lucille and Gloria singing and dancing together in the distance. The teenage girls collapse on the green grass.

LUCILLE

Gloria, what happens after you die?


GLORIA

Something amazing probably.


LUCILLE

But aren’t you scared of dying?


GLORIA

I’m not scared of anything.


Gloria takes Lucille’s hand.

GLORIA

Don’t be scared, Lucille. Lucille. Lucille. Lucille. Lucille! LUCY Lucille!! Wake up!


Lucille jolts out of her trip. She is still lying on the green grass in the cemetery. Her hysterical granddaughter hovers over her, holding the empty packet of ’Morning Glory’ seeds.

LUCY

What in the hell, grandma! I thought you were dead!


LUCILE

Lucy! How did you…?


LUCY (interrupting)

Get up. We’re going back to Long Island.


LUCILLE

No! I can’t go back there Lucy.


LUCY

You don’t have a choice.


Lucy helps her grandmother up and they walk away. A gentle breeze picks up the old photograph and throws it into the air. It spirals upward until it’s taken away by the wind.

INT. LUCY’S CAR

Lucy puts Lucille in the passenger seat and buckles her in, then climbs into the driver’s seat. Lucy starts driving and they ride in silence. Lucy takes her grandmother’s hand.

LUCY

I’m really glad you’re okay.


Lucille pats her granddaughter’s hand affectionately.

LUCILLE

I’m not going back.


LUCY

Well where in the world do you want to go?


Lucille contemplates for a moment and a huge grin flashes across her face.

LUCILLE

Get on the highway.


EXT. CONEY ISLAND - NIGHT

Lucy and Lucille stand at the entrance to the amusement park. The park is just now opening. They are the first ones to arrive.

LUCILLE

Gloria and I used to take you here when you were just a little girl. They stand together silently, remembering.


LUCILLE

Come on.


Lucille takes her granddaughter’s hand. They both know exactly where they’re headed. They arrive at the ferris wheel and quickly take a seat. The ferris wheel begins to rotate them up into the sky.

LUCILLE

I miss you Lucy.


LUCY

I know.


LUCILLE

Why don’t you come visit anymore? There are tears in Lucy’s eyes.


LUCY

I hate seeing you so sick. I wanted to take you to the funeral. I really did. I’m just so scared of losing you, grandma.


LUCILLE

Don’t be scared, Lucy. Lucille takes her granddaughter’s hand in hers as they reach the top of the ferris wheel.


EXT. CEMETERY - DAY

The sun slowly rises above the horizon. Two tombstones that read: In loving memory of, Gloria S. Montgomery. 1941-2015. In loving memory of, Lucille W. Diamond. 1942-2016. Morning Glory flowers bloom wildly around the graves. The wind drops the old POLAROID between the graves and just as quickly picks it back up and carries it away. Elvis Presley’s Heartbreak Hotel plays faintly in the background.

FADE OUT.

© 2016 Claire Darrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on August 12, 2016
Last Updated on August 12, 2016
Tags: death, trip, old, funeral, new york city, grandmother, grandma, granddaughter, glory, mourning, grief