Relief in the Face of the Reaper

Relief in the Face of the Reaper

A Screenplay by zach lyons
"

Adrian is a teen. Who has only one desire. To know the true meaning of life.

"
 
                                            Relief in the Face of the Reaper
 
                                                              by
                                                      Zachary Lyons
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
FADE IN:
INT. CLASSROOM EARLY DAY
It is around 9 in the morning. The classroom is an atmosphere of joy and celebration. Decorations fill the room in celebration of Christmas. There are groups of students in the classroom. The main group of students are focused around a student named CHAN. All of the students in his circle stand around him giving him full attention as he tells stories of his recent activities. The students are laughing and having a merry time. Among all the celebration, there is only one student who seems to be distant. His name is ADRIAN, a teenager with an average build and brown hair. He sits alone in the corner drinking punch, deep in thought. A girl student notices him and starts to move toward him, she sits down next to him and initiates conversation.
 
STUDENT
Hey you.
 
ADRIAN looks toward the STUDENT with an expressionless stare.
 
STUDENT (CONT’D)
Why dont you ever talk huh? Doesn’t it get boring, always being the loner?
 
ADRIAN
Not really. What reason do I have to talk to you anyway... or anybody else here...
 
Taken aback from ADRIAN’S response the STUDENT leans back in her chair, breaking eye contact with
ADRIAN.
 
STUDENT
Wow man, no need to be so harsh. I was just trying to start a conversation with you, and you--
 
ADRIAN
(Interrupting STUDENT)
For what reason?
 
STUDENT
(Taken aback)
What?
 
ADRIAN
Why? What makes you feel the need to strike up a conversation with me?
 
STUDENT
Umm... I don’t know, I was just trying to be friendly you know, there’s no reason for you to be such an a*****e.
 
ADRIAN
Well, there’s no reason for you to waste my time with your meaningless conversation. What’s the point in it?
 
STUDENT
(Becoming Interested in ADRIAN once again.)
Everything doesn’t have to have a point. That’s the beauty of it.
 
ADRIAN
The beauty of what?
 
STUDENT
Of striking up a chat randomly.
 
ADRIAN
Hmph. You may seem meaningless things as beautiful but I despise them. For me, I just can’t see any redeeming qualities in things without purpose.
(Pause.)
I mean... What’s the meaning of all of it anyway?
 
STUDENT
...Of what?
 
ADRIAN
Life in general, What’s the point?
(Pause.)
We just reach for things, when in the end all that happens is our demise.
(Pause.)
Are we here for a reason? Does any of this matter at all? 
(Pause.)
This is all I want to know...
 
Realizing ADRIAN is taking the conversation very seriously, the STUDENT leans in and shows ADRIAN that she is paying attention.
 
STUDENT
Does it really matter what were here for, can’t we just enjoy ourselves while were here? And would it really be that bad if life really was meaningless? I mean... look at CHAN over there,
 
CHAN is on the other side of the classroom, he is still chatting with all of his friends, and laughing.
 
STUDENT (CONT’D)
He’s happy. He’s just living. Simply living.
(Pause.)
So, I ask you once more, would it really be that bad if life really were meaningless?
 
ADRIAN
Perhaps for you that would be OK. But for me... no way.
(Pause.)
The way I see it meaningless is nothingness.
(Pause.)
And I want to live for something.
 
FADE TO BLACK.
 
TITLE APPEARS (RELIEF IN THE FACE OF THE REAPER). THEN (A FILM BY ZACHARY LYONS) APPEARS.
 
FADE IN:
 
INT. SHRINKS OFFICE DAY
The SHRINK who is a middle aged, tall, pale man is seeing ADRIAN in his office. His office is dimly lit and has little furniture. There is a backroom to his office, and a large window. His office is several floors up on the building.
 
SHRINK
Believe me when I say, that I am completely aware of your unwillingness to be here. But on behalf of this school I am required to discuss Chan’s suicide with you.
 
ADRIAN
(Sigh)
As if I have a choice in the matter.
 
SHRINK
So, just what did you feel when Chan turned the gun on himself.
 
ADRIAN
Relief.
 
SHRINK
Care to elaborate?
 
ADRIAN
Well think about it,
 
CUT TO:
 
INT. CLASSROOM MID DAY
CHAN sits in a chair in the back of the room. He pulls out a gun and begins to examine it with interest.
 
ADRIAN
Some Asian guy pulls out a gun in class, no warning. He’s not drawing any attention to himself what-so-ever.
 
CUT TO:
 
INT. SHRINKS OFFICE DAY
 
ADRIAN
(Dialogue accompanied by various gunshots and screams.)
It’s not like the school shooting is a rare occurrence these days. Ever since Virginia Tech its become like a screwed up trend between psychopaths and hate-mongers. There’s been like 10 shootings since Virginia Tech, with quite a few being Asian.
(Emphasized.)
Now.
 
CUT TO:
 
INT. CLASSROOM MID DAY
CHAN and ADRIAN are in the classroom where CHAN is handling the gun. They are sitting straight across from each other, ten feet apart. ADRIAN sits there and continues to talk as if he is addressing the SHRINK.
 
ADRIAN
Put yourself in my position. I’m sitting like 10 feet straight in-front of this guy, primarily the main object in his linear line of vision, with no hiding place in sight.    
(Laughs)
Like that would stop a shooter anyway, if he’s screwed up enough to shoot his class up I don’t think putting effort toward tracking us down was a concern of his.
 
CHAN begins to point the gun toward the ceiling, squeezing the trigger just enough to were it doesn’t fire.
 
ADRIAN (CONT’D)
The point is that I was looking straight into the face of the grim reaper. Couldn’t even manage to actually look at the barrel of the gun or I was liable to s**t myself. I didn’t even realize he had turned the gun on himself until the barrel was resting in his mouth.
CHAN turns the gun upon himself plaicng it in his mouth, he sheds a few tears and then shoots himself. ADRIAN’S face is tense while it is happening but after CHAN shoots himself he lets out a large sigh of relief. The bullet goes straight through CHAN’S head leaving a large exit wound, and a lot of blood and bits of skull on the wall behind him.
 
CUT TO:
 
INT. SHRINKS OFFICE DAY
 
ADRIAN
(Passionately)
Although it may seem strange seeing how... well at least as far as I know... that you’ve never been in a situation like that. That gunshot and the obscene amount of blood and skull then stuck on the wall behind Chan combined to make the most peaceful and blissful scene of my life.
 
SHRINK
But what of Chan? Didn’t you feel any remorse for him? He had so much to offer. And if not for Chan, did you not feel remorse for his family?
 
ADRIAN
(Shaking his head slightly while answering.)
None. Chan was a Buddhist.
 
SHRINK
Are you prejudice against Buddhist?
 
ADRIAN
Oh no, nothing like that, I just figured you would understand my logic. You seemed like the intellectual type to me. Well let me elaborate.
(Done with hand movements emphasizing the dialogue.)
From what I know personally of Buddhist, they believe in reincarnation, in what way I’m not one-hundred percent sure, but the point is, that Chan being a Buddhist did indeed believe in the idea of reincarnation. Therefore he most likely saw his suicide not as an elimination but as a cleansing, a way to start anew. Chan obviously didn’t think he had as much to offer as everybody else seemed to think, well... to offer “himself” anyway.
 
SHRINK
I see.
(Pause)
But you still have yet to answer the second part of my question. Did you feel remorse for Chan’s family?”
 
A pause occurs before the dialogue, ADRIAN is deep in thought during the silence.
 
ADRIAN
Only for the fact that the event had to be so public. I mean it must be terrible for there only son to be dead, and not only dead but by his own hands. So, not only do they probably blame themselves, but due to the fact that he killed himself in class, during a time in which school violence is top of the line news, It will take years for this to go away. Its not like there ever going to get over it, but with so much added pressure I have my bets on there eventual suicide, sooner rather than later.
(Emphasized)
Like I said before, they’re Buddhists. Now that there son is gone this is a perfect opportunity for them to start anew.
(Grins with a slightly menacing feel to it.)
 
THE SHOT IS AN EXTREME CLOSE UP ON CHAN’S GRIN WITH A SLOW DOLLY TOWARD IT. THE SHOT I ENDED WHEN THE SHRINK BEGINS DIALOGUE.
 
SHRINK
I Don’t buy it.
 
ADRIAN
Buy what? My point? 
 
SHRINK
Oh no its not that at all, I completely understand your point. But its not the idea that I don’t buy, what I find hard to believe is that you truly believe in the point your conveying.
 
ADRIAN
So, even though I have no reason to lie to you, you still believe I’m hiding my true feelings?
 
SHRINK
Exactly.
 
ADRIAN
What reasons do you have to think that I’m hiding my feelings from you? Please, enlighten me.
 
SHRINK
I just find it hard to believe that someone with your background can lack so much compassion. Being raised in the fine suburban conditions that you came from, I just can’t think of any possible reason for you to have the mind-set that you have.
 
ADRIAN
(With bitterness in his voice.)
Let me make one thing clear “Sigmund Freud.” You don’t know s**t from scuba gear about how my life’s been.
 
SHRINK
Well how can I know unless you tell me? Please explain to me how someone from a background as nice as yours comes to be the person you “believe” yourself to be.
 
ADRIAN
Fine.
(Pause)
But before we get into this escapade of self-exploration let me make two things perfectly clear.
(Holds up 1 finger.)
One, I don’t believe myself to be myself. I am myself.
(Holds up 2 fingers.)
And secondly, my “background” as you call it isn’t the suburban fairy tale you seem to believe it to be. In truth, my past is an intricate collage of abandonment.
 
SHRINK
Well then, shall we let the collage unfold? 
 
ADRIAN
My parents were never there. Mom and Dad run a business that causes them to have to be gone almost constantly. As a kid I never understood why they couldn’t be there, and it would make me sad. But as I got older I didn’t even care really. Even when they were around it seemed like they were gone.
(Pause, sad laugh before dialogue starts.)
Funny thing is, I can’t remember one time I’ve ever held a full conversation with my parents.
 
SHRINK
So, just to make sure that I’ve got this right. When your parents are around do they intentionally ignore you, or do you ignore them as an attempt to get back at them for never being there?
 
CUT TO:
 
INT. ADRIAN’S HOME EARLIER THAT DAY
 
ADRIAN’S home is the prototypical suburban home, but with a darkened feel to it. ADRIAN’S MOTHER is chopping vegetables and is wearing an apron.
 
ADRIAN’S MOTHER
Gary honey, make sure and do good at school today, okay.
 
CUT TO:
 
INT. SHRINKS OFFICE DAY
 
SHRINK
Gary?
 
ADRIAN
Gary is my dog’s name.
 
Pause, ADRIAN is deep in thought during this break.
 
ADRIAN (CONT’D)
It’s funny you know, we struggle threw life, always reaching for something, rarely reaching it, and finding that even if we do reach it, there’s always something else to reach for. 
(Pause.)
It’s like a smack in the face. Reaching your goal just to realize that there’s still so much you have yet to accomplish and that you’ll never have led a truly full life as long as you still remain passionate about something, even if it be as simple as life itself.
(Pause.)
I mean if you lacked passion for anything in life then I guess the emptiness from not reaching a goal would be absent, but an emptiness from not even having a goal in the first place would still remain. 
(Pause.)
It’s as if our goals are holes that no matter what we do will always be one layer from full... one layer empty... And that the empty space left by are unfulfilled dreams is meant to be our grave, were we are sent to lie in the ground, lonely and cold for an eternity.
 
Pause before dialogue.
 
SHRINK
It’s almost if you have taphephobia. 
 
ADRIAN gives a confused look.
 
SHRINK (CONT’D)
The fear of being buried alive.
 
ADRIAN
(laughs slightly and pathetically.)
Yeah I guess you could say that.
(pause.)
People aren’t meant to be buried at all. What’s the point in living if in the end all you’re really building toward is your funeral.
(pause.)
Man, those Buddhist have it right... Chan sure did. Maybe in his new life he’ll be happy. Maybe he won’t. But one things for sure, he’ll never have to feel the pain that he most certainly felt in this life again.
 
The timer goes off. Ending the session time.
 
SHRINK
Well I guess this is it. Adrian, it was nice knowing ya, but I’m afraid you're gonna have to leave now.
 
ADRIAN
Wait, aren’t you gonna try to diagnose me or something?
 
SHRINK
Adrian, I’m a school psychologist. I’m here to listen to your problems and give you feedback, not to diagnose you. Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go into my back office to make some copies.
(Walks away.)
Hope you find whatever it is you’re looking for in this life.
(Turns back and laughs.)
Or the next life, I suppose.
 
The SHRINK leaves his chair and goes into his back office. While he does so, ADRIAN instead of advancing toward the door, goes instead to the window of the office. The SHRINK after entering the office, starts to twitch violently and then takes his true form, the form of death. He know wears a black hood that hides his face, and carries a sickle.
 
DEATH
(His voice has now become deep, and echoes.)
Adrian, turn, face me.
 
ADRIAN who is now standing in the window seal looking down at the ground below, turns to face DEATH.
 
ALL THE ACTION IN THE TIME FROM WHICH THE SHRINK LEAVES HIS CHAIR, UNTIL THE TIME IN WHICH DEATH SAYS THE DIALOGUE BELOW IS DONE IN ONE FOLLOW SHOT ACHIEVED WITH A DOLLY. THE SHOT FOLLOWS THE SHRINK FROM THE FRONT OF HIS FACE, UNTIL HE TRANSFORMS INTO DEATH, AT WHICH TIME HE TURNS AND THE CAMERA PROCEEDS IN FOLLOWING HIM FORM BEHIND HIS HEAD.  
 
DEATH (CONT’D)
Adrian, you have no purpose here, there is nothing for you now, stop looking for meaning and except the fact that there is no such thing as true happiness. It is as you said yourself, “What’s the point in living if in the end all you’re really building toward is your funeral.” Which is what you are doing. There is no higher being except for me... religion is a lie. CHAN knew this, because I told him once he placed the gun in his mouth, just as I tell everyone before they reach there finale. And this is what I am doing for you now. 
 
ADRIAN
If what your telling me is true... then I have one question. What is the meaning of life?
 
DEATH
Death.
 
ADRIAN ceases to talk, reflecting on DEATH’S answer.
 
ADRIAN
And the meaning of death?
 
DEATH
Only the dead know this. Life is only a precursor, death is the true existence. So, please Adrian do not waste anymore time in this life, and join me in death.
 
ADRIAN
I want to... I’m going to... I will. 
 
DEATH
Adrian... now that you truly gaze the reaper in the face, what do you feel?
 
ADRIAN
(Begins to cry.)
Relief.
 
ADRIAN sheds a few tears and falls backward out of the window.
 
FADE TO WHITE.
 
  THE END
 
 
 

© 2008 zach lyons


Author's Note

zach lyons
Please tell me what you think of the characters mostly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on July 10, 2008

Author

zach lyons
zach lyons

waddy, KY



About
Im a modern man. I like film (makin them and watching them), skateboarding, video games(nintendo fanboy), writing, hangin out, and whatever else sounds good at that moment. how would i describe myself.. more..

Writing
Refrigerated Refrigerated

A Screenplay by zach lyons


Microbes Microbes

A Story by zach lyons