A Dog In The Life

A Dog In The Life

A Story by Ed Ward
"

This is a descriptive essay about what I think its like to be my dog Max, in his pov. I'm not too proud of this writing but someone might like it or find it kind of humorous.

"

Played and toyed with, then left alone. Locked inside. No friends. No family. They all left me, for what to most people seemed only hours but a lifetime to me. A thick purple collar weighing down on my neck, chaining me to this life. Life as a dog is roof.

Get up. Stretch. Wait. It seems like every morning my family’s in a hurry. One yelling at everyone to wake up, and the others running around looking like chickens with their heads cut off. They do this every day you’d think they would get it down by now. Adriana makes her way slowly down stairs with her tired eyes. I am excited to see her but there is no time for a game of catch.  She puts me outside. As I stare into the wilderness I think about what I would be doing if I didn't live the pet life, if I didn't wear this collar.

Cold out. Take care of business. Freedom. I get off the porch and get a whiff of the cool crisp fall air. You can practically smell winter coming. Even though it's a bit chilly having the north wind blow against my yellow coat, it is always the best feeling. It’s one of the only freeing sensations I get. I start to pounce around like some wild animal. I get myself riled up. I pick up one of my toys. I whip it as if it was my prey and I was a wolf. Oh, it’s good to be free!

        “COME”. Go inside. Family leaves. I’ve been stripped of my freedom, closed up again. Forced to sit and stare at the walls. Nothing to do but listen to the radio. They always leave on the Christian station. It plays okay music but sometimes I wish I was just silent so I could imagine myself being out and about of with my family. I sneak up stairs and look around. Nothing much has changed. I eat a quick snack of the kitchen floor. The house gets boring to explore and I go back down to my room. I get in bed and dream of independence.


Hear the bus beeping. Kids coming. Hyped. My eyes fly open to the familiar sound of the big yellow bus that brings my kids home. Beep beep beep it blares as it backs up. Then it drives away. Every time anyone comes home, it's like Christmas all over again. I’m perked up waiting by the door. The door opens and I pop outside greeting each one of them with a loving kiss on the face. The faces of the two smaller kids are close enough to lick. But as I approach Adriana I prepare to leap but wait for her command. She pats her chest and says “up”. I jump on her for a hug and a kiss. I guess I wouldn't trade this for all the freedom in the world.

© 2017 Ed Ward


Author's Note

Ed Ward
For my final in english i have to share my writing and writing skills to an audience that is not the class and then receive feedback from it. so i would love to hear what people think.PLEASE comment

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on May 4, 2017
Last Updated on May 4, 2017
Tags: personification