A Voyage

A Voyage

A Story by cv

     As I sail the ocean blue fighting against the monstrous waves, I pray to God begging Him to bring me safely to shore. To perish and be buried at sea in a watery grave does not indulge me, but rather frightens me. I am not one who enjoys the sea, nay, the land is what I favor. Aye, there be where life itself resides, where true love rents a room and where true adventure drunkenly wanders the streets. Around every corner lies a new journey, a new face, a new story, but only if you are willing to find it. 
     The waves strike the side of the vessel. The ship creaks and moans. I fix the sails to head northbound. The rain falls steadily against my skin, mixing with the sweat on my forehead. I desperately want to give in, to let the sea carry me where she wants instead of fighting with her. But I know when I reach land I will be rewarded with new life...
     Thunder crashes and lightning strikes above me. I crumble to the floor, cowering from fear. Lo! I must press on. Fear is a stowaway on this voyage, one I could not seem to toss off the side of the boat. He is like a shadow, only he is a constant, not fading in the darkness but rather thriving in it. I remain on the floor. I cry out to God, I cry out above the roaring waves, "take me as I am, take me as the coward I am!" 
     The sea, she hungers for more victims. And me, I hunger for death. I hunger for the sweet release of this body I possess. Why, oh why have you abandoned me, God?! Why have you left me here to drown?! I beg you to take me now! 
     Alas, silence from God but not the sea. She still roars, almost as if she's calling out to me... Calling out to me, telling me to jump... Dare I?
     The thought of jumping chokes me. Dare I drown this misery? 
     Dare I die the way I am most terrified to die?


    I dare

© 2018 cv


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Vallery!

Don't you dare,
don't you know I care,
want to share.

If there's something unfair
you can't bare,
don't keep it over there.

Aren't you aware
I'm everywhere,
even if I'm worse for wear. : )


One thing I never like to see is a lady in distress, and how many have invoked the name God in desperation, only to find their faith and hopes unrequited.
Fortunately, when it comes to the sea, I am a sailor with sea legs and salt in me blood … so, come lass, grab hold my strong arm, let's head for safe haven, a warm bed, and a fine bottle of sparkling Malbec to thicken our blood and soothe the darkest woes.

Love a woman with a captivatin' tale 'n a healthy dose of lively imagination, and you're as good as it gets … oh-yeahhh! ⁓ Richard 🍃

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Vallery!

Don't you dare,
don't you know I care,
want to share.

If there's something unfair
you can't bare,
don't keep it over there.

Aren't you aware
I'm everywhere,
even if I'm worse for wear. : )


One thing I never like to see is a lady in distress, and how many have invoked the name God in desperation, only to find their faith and hopes unrequited.
Fortunately, when it comes to the sea, I am a sailor with sea legs and salt in me blood … so, come lass, grab hold my strong arm, let's head for safe haven, a warm bed, and a fine bottle of sparkling Malbec to thicken our blood and soothe the darkest woes.

Love a woman with a captivatin' tale 'n a healthy dose of lively imagination, and you're as good as it gets … oh-yeahhh! ⁓ Richard 🍃

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent CV. You've really done well capturing the archaic language that's suits your story line. This poor guy abhors the perils of the sea but for some reason is compelled. When you're caught in a storm death does seem inviting! Drunkenly wandering the streets is definitely a better option. If you have time you might like my story 'A lonely grave' - maybe about page 3.
All the best.
ALan


Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2018
Last Updated on June 27, 2018
Tags: depression, sea, ocean, death, sad, adventure

Author

cv
cv

TX



Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Poem by cv


I'm Sorry I'm Sorry

A Poem by cv