Breaking Through

Breaking Through

A Story by Kent Clark
"

A man wakes in a dark London alley with only a broken Rolex and the scent of peppermint, and no memory. What happened to him, and will it affect his future?

"

Breaking Through

A short-story of a man with a memory problem

 

 

            Where am I?

            These are the first words that come into mind when Jonathan Dandridge awakes in a dark, filthy alley in London. He knows nothing, remembers nothing. He barely remembered his own name! What had happened to make a man forget everything so completely? What did he do?

            Jonathan looks around the alley he’s stuck in, trying to find any specifics. After three times, he determines that it’s just a regular alley, nothing different from anywhere else. He also notices that the Rolex wristwatch he got from his dad back in Texas is broken.

            Texas! I’m from Texas, comes the sudden memory. I was in England to meet with Michelle Singer, the girl I dated in high school. But what happened?

            His nostrils are then assaulted by two scents. One is the distinct smell of peppermint. Once he thinks of it, peppermint was the last scent he smelled on Michelle, wasn’t it? The other scent is much more foreboding. The second scent is that of a decaying corpse!

            Jonathan looks around once more and spots a Dumpster near one of the buildings he’s between. As he walks over, he remembers that he and Michelle met at a pub, had a few drinks, and had shared one last hug. But the hug turned into a kiss, and the kiss led to a hotel room where some steamy events that are too graphic occurred. Then, his memory goes black once more as he nears the front of the Dumpster. As he lifts the lid, the scent of death overpowers the scent of peppermint.

            OH MY GOD,” Jonathan shouts as he looks down upon the beaten, tormented, mutilated body of his high-school-sweetheart.

            Suddenly, it all comes back to him. After their hot time in the bed, something took Jonathan over. Something dark, mysterious, and very, very angry. He watched from somewhere in his mind as whatever demon had possessed him killed Michelle, then wrapped up her body, drug her to the Dumpster, and threw her in. The demon then threw Jonathan himself against the wall of the building, breaking the watch and knocking Jonathan unconscious.

            The murder was reported and Jonathan was arrested. He admitted to the crime, pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to death. But, he was allowed one last request, and he took it.

            “If I’m to die, I want to die in Texas and by the Chair,” he said.

            With some phone calls made between the Prime Minister and the president, they had it all arranged. Three months later, Jonathan Dandridge was in Dallas, Texas, sitting in “Old Sparky”, waiting for death. He thought that now would be a good time to tell the truth.

            “You know,” he starts, “I really didn’t do it. I was a victim of demonic possession.”

            “Tell it to the Big Man when you see him, ‘cause I don’t give a s**t,” the executioner said. He then flipped the switch, starting the chair, and ending the life of Jonathan Dandridge.

© 2013 Kent Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow...the format sells it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kent Clark

8 Years Ago

Thanks, man! Though... would you believe I wrote this in a single night for one of Katie's contests?
Jordan

8 Years Ago

That's dedication.
Kent Clark

8 Years Ago

Yup. And it totally paid off. Not only did it win first (which was cool), but Katie loved it! That, .. read more
Pretty good, I really liked it. I did the same challenge :). You pulled off good creativity!

Posted 11 Years Ago


My favorit part was when you said after the hot time in bed. That made my day and yues katie knows I am saying this she is itting right next to me. I just thought I would share. I do like the stroy but could use more detials. Great wrtite dude

Posted 11 Years Ago


chaotic katie

11 Years Ago

of corse you would bring me .....the virgin out of all people into this wouldn't you?
Death Girl

10 Years Ago

Yes i would. Hey your the one that first said something about it. and you aint the only virgin so wh.. read more
chaotic katie

10 Years Ago

yes yes i know
I love the emotion in this piece, passion, anger, fear, and hopelessness, all so clearly defined, and such an original piece. I enjoyed reading it

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

401 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 1, 2013
Last Updated on March 1, 2013

Author

Kent Clark
Kent Clark

Canton, OH



About
I'm an up-and-coming writer and would like to use this site to get more feedback on my work. I have no published works as of now, but am working on it. I take inspiration from anything and am always t.. more..

Writing
Who Who

A Story by Kent Clark