Together Forever

Together Forever

A Story by Kitten
"

Short tragic romance.

"

Today marks the anniversary. The day Leland was to propose his life, commitment, and heart to his beloved. Constance, she was the most intriguing, cunning, beautiful woman a man could ever dream of. She was ideal to Leland, they had known each other since they were in the same day care. Through grade school, high school, even college, they were beside each other. Best friends that cared for one another more than himself. Of course, their relationship blossomed over the years to a gorgeous romance. Best friends and lovers over the years, they planned to have a future together. They would talk of travel and adventure, then marriage and kids. Together most of their lives already and they wanted to be together forever.

They were perfect for each other, their sweet personalities complemented one another. Each of their families knew that one day they must be married. They loved the energy from the beautiful relationship Constance and Leland shared. Everyone was excited to see where their life would take them.

Leland had graduated college with his masters degree in engineering, found himself a great paying job right after school and lives on his own for the moment in a lovely apartment. He had money saved up, and he felt he was ready to propose to his Constance. Constance also graduated college with a degree in veterinary medicine. Likewise to Leland she also had a wonderful apartment and was patiently awaiting the day she would move in with Leland.

Leland planned a date. He would take Constance to her favorite restaurant for dinner. He told Constance to put on her best dress because they were going to have a great night. Leland arrived at Constance’s door, when she came out to meet him Leland was at awe. Constance was in a simple modest green dress that totally complemented everything about her and her warm personality. With a grand smile on his face, Leland called his beloved the most beautiful woman in the world. Both with smiles on their faces’ took hands as they walked to Leland’s car. In and off they were and soon they arrived at their destination in the classy side of downtown. When they arrived at the restaurant it was as if they were being treated by royalty as Leland had planned the perfect evening largely in advance. Leland courted Constance as a waiter took them to a table on the balcony which pleased them with the most gorgeous view of the city. They sat and talked of anything and everything.  Reverse frowns were alive within every moment.

Appetizer and entree had passed and now it was time for dessert. Constance ordered her favorite, but Leland could not eat anymore from the anticipation and anxiety rising in his stomach. Leland nodded at the waiter who had just placed the order and he knew it was time to bring out the champagne. Minutes later the waiter returned with the glasses and placed one in front of each of the happy couple. Constance was clueless to the fact that a twenty-thousand dollar diamond ring lay in her glass. The moment had arrived, Leland was about to give a toast and propose to her. Constance could feel a special moment was being brewed throughout the entire evening. Leland knew that there was no need for an extravagant overwhelming speech,  only four words needed to be said and they were. “Will you marry me?” With the most magnificent expression on her face Constance simply replied yes. They laughed with happiness, for this was the most joyous moment in their lives! This feeling of love and exuberance was shattered moments later. Leland said, “To us!”, Constance mimicked after him, “To us!”, and they drank. They both began downing the champagne but something interrupted Constance from finishing.

She coughed a small cough, but then more harsh and violent coughs followed immediately after. She was choking. Fear struck Leland, he absolutely forgot about mentioning the ring. He screamed for help as heads turned to view the dilemma unfolding at Constance and Leland’s table. Constance was pounding on her chest trying to remove the ring lodged within her throat, but no hope. She fell to the floor as Leland stood up to help dislodge the ring. Leland screamed asking for help or if someone could call a doctor, the others in the restaurant were frightened and deeply concerned and began whipping out cell phones to call an ambulance. Leland fell to the floor to embrace Constance who was madly gasping for breath. Then slowly, Constance stopped struggling. Gazing deeply at Leland, her eyes began to close as she drew a final breath. Her body fell limp in his arms. Leland whispered Constance’ name in hope she would reply or at least react in some sort. She didn't.

Leland’s heart sank to depths unimaginable. He just lost everything. Bystanders stood in watch as gloom filled the atmosphere and sirens began wailing lightly in the background coming to aid what could not be. Leland stood leaving Constance peacefully on the floor, walked towards the edge of the balcony as tears swelled in his eyes and stepped upon the railing. A voice in the restaurant screamed for him not to jump as men began running towards him in order to save him from this action, but Leland had already begun his four story descent into the sidewalk that lay below.

Screams echoed from the street and the restaurant. Everyone was traumatized by the events that had just occurred. People began surrounding Constance and looked over the balcony as a crowd formed near Leland’s body. Surprisingly, Constance began to stir! The man who weighed Leland and Constance’ table noticed this and rushed to her side to aid her. Constance awoke to loud chatter and people crowded around her. She did not see Leland, so she asked the waiter where he was, but he only replied that she needs to rest until paramedics can examine her. She refused and stood up in order to search for him. Constance was unaware that she had swallowed the ring once she had fainted from lack of breath.

She saw that many people were crowded at the edge of the balcony looking and pointing below, she plowed through to see for herself what the commotion was about. Color drained from her face as Leland lay below in a pool of blood. Constance became numb and all sound faded into background. People were too busy scrambling and chatting about Leland who had just jumped and did not expect another as ambulances pulled to the scene. Constance was empty, so before anyone could detect her actions she quickly threw herself over the balcony railing to join Leland.

© 2014 Kitten


Author's Note

Kitten
I hope you read all the way through. My attempt at a tragic romance. Please leave comments and criticism, thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
Added on December 7, 2014
Last Updated on December 7, 2014
Tags: Romance, horror, sad, tragic, love, forever, death

Author

Kitten
Kitten

Paris, France



About
Hello! I go by Kitten here on this site:3 I dream of being a writer. I can't help but love classic literature, poetry, mystery, adventure, romance, new age, magic, suspense, and all the other many wo.. more..

Writing
Us Writers Us Writers

A Poem by Kitten