The Alcoholic

The Alcoholic

A Story by Vincent
"

About Bob White!!!

"

The Alcoholic

By Vincent Chapman Sr.

 

 

     Polk County was known for its friendly residents, good ole' country cooking, and local taverns. Like every small town, Polk, over the last twenty years, had been bombarded with large companies. Even though the warehouses were just extensions of the main buildings in the city, they employed hundreds of residents. More than a third worked at the Budweiser Plant.
     Bob White, the town drunk, was a hardworking man. Bar fights and domestic disputes with his wife of twenty years, are amongst some of the things he did while intoxicated. The alcohol had taken a toll on him. Even if he didn't drink for a day or two, you could still smell the alcohol emerge from his pores. Bob was an embarrassment to some.
     "You're going to kill yourself Bob," His wife cried as she watched him down a pint of grain liquor.
     "I'm…I'm not…drunk," he slurred, staggering towards the sofa.
     "You need help."
     Bob ignored her. That's one thing that she hated.
     "Where's the remote?"
     "See, you don't even care about me or yourself. All you worry about is drinking and watching television."
     "Shut up woman. I'm a grown…..."
     She cut him off, "A grown man that doesn't care about his well-being."
     "I do."
     "No you don't. If you loved me, you wouldn't do what you do."
     "Do what," he asked as if he forgot what she said.
     She was disgusted. Being in a relationship with a man like this would eventually make her go insane
     "Bob," she sighed, "alcohol is going to be the cause of your death."

 

     After six months of in-patient rehabilatation programs and counseling, Bob had finally stopped drinking. His relationship with his wife had taken a turn for the best and on top of that, he finally made supervisor of the Steel company he worked for. The community was stunned when they saw Bob enter the doors of the church. Some members thought they had seen a ghost, because at one point and time, Bob didn't attend. He hated it.


     "What time will you be home," his wife asked.
     "Around five."
     "Anything particular you want for supper."
     "You know my favorite."
     "Bean soup it is."
     The banging of steel and the humming of large machinery had echoed throughout the plant.
     "Honey, I'll talk to you when I get home," Bob said,"I can hardly hear you."
     She smiled to herself. Betty hadn't been this happy in months.
     "Okay"
    There was a slight pause.
     "I love you."
     "I love you too," she responded before she hung up the phone.

 

     It was six o'clock and Bob hadn't showed up yet. Dinner was getting cold. Even though she wanted to think positive, she feared the worst. A relapse. Being late without calling was a routine that he pulled months ago when he would be at the bar.
     Seven o'clock. Seven-fifteen. Seven-thirty. There was a knock at the door. When she opened the door the police was standing there. Her heart skipped a beat.
     "Mrs. White?"
     "Yes," she responded, looking at the officers puzzled.
     "There's been an accident," he said taking off his hat.
     She looked at them, lips slightly parted.
     "Your husband, Bob White, was killed in a traffic accident."
     "Oh no," she cried.
     "Sorry Mrs. White."
     "Was alcohol involved?"
     "Yes."
     She burst out in tears.
     The officer continued, " A truck from the Budweiser plant had ran a red light, striking Mr. White on the drivers side. He was killed instantly."
     Betty knew that someday alcohol would be the cause of his death.

© 2008 Vincent


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh honey, very nice...i know my hubby drank...i do not like that! x0x0x0x0x we parted because alcohol more impotant for him than, me..x0x0x0 very nice! x0

Posted 15 Years Ago


Funny story, full of sarcasm, :P ----mishy

Posted 15 Years Ago


The story was painful but one I'm familiar with. Loved the ending. Good writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I've known many a Bob White. Like everyone else, I really enjoyed the irony of his death, but it really is quite sad. It reminded me of Sam Kinison.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow! This is very good! What a twist of fate at the end! How sad that he got himself clean and ended up dying! Great write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


What an honest look at an everyday event. Haven't we all known someone like this? I enjoyed this and can't wait for more.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Ironic stories like this one, are best serve short and at full steam ahead. Mastering the art of writing a very short story, takes great skill and pacing to keep the reader hooked on the story. Loved the added twist of being killed in an accident with the beer truck. It was humourous in a sad way, but life is like that at times. Thank you for sharing this dark humourous story with us.

Therisa

Posted 16 Years Ago


neat twist to the ending A self fufilling prophecy but not quie as she expected' I rarely write prose but you have mastered the art of short storys with a bite

Posted 16 Years Ago


Love the irony of this little story. Very nice indeed.
I'm jealous in a way that I can never seem to make brevity work for me in this way. You have it down to a fine art; a small sharp bullet perforating the lining of the reader's psyche.
This reminds me a little of some of Hubert Selby Jr's shorter pieces from early in his career; concise and full of just the right balance of pathos and darkly comic irony.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wow... how ironic... and sad. I love this little story. It made me sympathetic for the wife who was finally happy with her now healed husband.

I encourage you to write more of these little tales.

I'll read them all. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

708 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 25, 2008
Last Updated on February 27, 2008

Author

Vincent
Vincent

About
I love writing suspense thrillers. more..

Writing
The Woman The Woman

A Story by Vincent


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Vincent



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..