A Water Sign

A Water Sign

A Poem by Salem Fitzgerald

I used to love the water.


I spent years floating peacefully on the surface and blissfully unaware of what waited beneath me. One cursed day I got curious and I dipped into the mysterious and cold ocean below, letting my curiosity lead me.

And there you were.


Now all these years later, I am still being pulled under long enough for my lungs to fill with water, but sadly not long enough to die. 

I can see the sun and I reach for it, but I can’t feel it anymore. 


Only sometimes, when you loosen your grip and I can fight my way to the surface, I breathe again and feel the warmth and the wind on my face. Momentarily.


But there you are again. And there I go. Back into the dark and devastating water where I’m forced to watch my deepest fears play out in front of me. How happy you are as I’m caught in the weeds and rocks, writhing and pleading to break free but stuck until you say so. I can see your horns and your evil grin even in the dark. You’re mocking me and reminding me that you have all the control. 


You keep me here until those fleeting moments I’m allowed to breathe. Alive, just enough. What fun is torturing a corpse?


I’ve spent months and months below.

Today, for the first time, I find myself hoping I never see my beloved surface again.


Maybe then, this nightmare can finally end.

© 2022 Salem Fitzgerald


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Em
This is incredible, I definitely felt the progression as the narrator lost hope which was really powerful. The line “what fun is torturing a corpse” really stuck me. Good job!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Salem Fitzgerald

1 Year Ago

Thanks so much! :)
Wow, now that was definitely dark and had me gasping for breath while reading, well maybe not gasping but I felt short of breath...I still do. Man, that was cool. I liked that a lot.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Salem Fitzgerald

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was going for.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 30, 2022
Last Updated on December 1, 2022
Tags: love, poem, LGBTQ, sad

Author

Salem Fitzgerald
Salem Fitzgerald

Small Town, WI



About
I walk through life imagining events that have yet to happen. I yearn for adventure and passion. I'm let down so often by everyone I meet so I spend a lot of time alone. I'm a writer, a philosopher, a.. more..

Writing