INITIATION ULTIMATE, Chapter 8.2:  Narrated by Saphara

INITIATION ULTIMATE, Chapter 8.2: Narrated by Saphara

A Chapter by A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

"One of the perks of my job and position, you see, is going home when I don't have any assignments.  I have about 30 minutes, so if I have your permission, I can try to explain and give you tips," Bradshaw offers.  My mother leads us to the kitchen table, and we take a seat.  Once seated, she serves hot chocolate and a plate of fruit, then disappears to calm 382, who has begun to cry over a stubbed toe. 

"So, the Island Initiation," Bradshaw explains, "is like the normal Initiations, but instead of being on a large landmass like the Initiations, you're on a much smaller island.  Pretty easy to understand so far, yes?"
She nods, and I listen attentively.
"On the Island, there's beaches, forests, lakes, and so on.  You can see the Island from the normal Initiations, or 'the mainland.'  It does have it's disadvantages, though.  One, less resources than the mainland...which is also an island, by the way, but hundreds of times bigger than the Island Initiations, get the picture?"
"Like how big?" I ask.
He frowns with thought.  "It's hard to say.  Definitely enough room for all the 13 through 18 year olds in the country to live.  Both the Initiation's mainland and the Island Initiations are man made, so there's a wide range of food species especially for humans, if you know how to find them.  There's also a bonus:  no mosquitoes."
"That's good..."
"And the Island?" Handal asks.
"Much smaller," the Private says, blue eyes wide.  "From this one peak in the Initiations, you can stand and see the whole front beach of the Island.  During storms, sometimes waves crash so far in to the beach, and it's hard to see."
Handal looks shocked, and she buries her head in her arms.  
"Don't worry yet!  I'm here to help you, remember?  The clouds will be your warning for storms, so you should always be aware of the sky.  There's also a cliff range in the center.  I advise that once you are dropped off, get as far inland as possible, away from the ocean.  Remember, you only need to last a year on the Island and prove your value of reliability in that time for your Initiations to end."
"You make it sound easy."
"I'll try to make it easy for you.  Remember, each of you are allowed to bring anything that can fit into a duffel bag.  Tal, Rede and I always found ourselves wishing we had some string with us.  Both of you should bring that; it will be useful.  If either of you can find something stronger, that would be good as well.  Paracord would be even more helpful and durable.  Also, I strongly recommended matches if you don't know how to start a fire, but you'll have to waterproof them.  The Initiations are rainy a lot; they are in the Pacific Ocean."
Bradshaw waits for any questions.
"Hurricanes?" Handal asks.  "What about those?"
"I never witnessed a hurricane in my time," Bradshaw answers, "but they are possible.  I heard from a friend that the Initiations were strategically placed to minimize storm activity.  There's also plenty of high ground to evacuate to.  In the case of a hurricane, I'm sure help will be sent from the United Fifteen to further minimize loss."
I have a question.  "What do we do about food there?  You said there's plenty to eat, but is there anything we should look out for?"
"There was nothing inedible in my time, but that might have changed.  Ask around.  I'm sure Tal will find you when you get there, and he'll show you the ropes. But just in case, there's a type of seaweed that grows around both the Initiations and the Island.  It's very nutritious and cures many types of illnesses.  I know it's around the Island too because on days when the water's clear, the silhouette is visible from the mainland.  Also, there's rabbits and deer that you can find for meat if you look hard enough in the Initiations.  If you don't want to hunt or the water becomes too dangerous to gather seaweed, there's berries to pick and skills that you could learn for trade.  Just don't eat too much of the reddish-purple berries that are shaped like tiny carrots."
"Why?" Handal and I ask at the same time.
"They're horrible for digestion, trust me.  I've been lucky enough to go through the experience...oh, never again.  You'll dehydrate yourself before you have the chance to purify enough water to replace the fluids you'll lose."
"Now you have me wondering," Handal says, "where do we go to the bathroom, and how do we purify water?  Also, why can't I just bring a blow up raft in my duffel bag and paddle myself to the Initiations?"
Bradshaw's still grinning over the berries.  "Good question.  For the one about the bathrooms, there's outhouses stationed around the Island, and you'll know them when you see them.  If you can't find one, well... you'll have to do what you can.   "About purifying and removing salt from water, some people take up the job of water purifiers, and they'll purify your water for you if you'll give them the equivalent in berries or meat.  If you become a water purifier, then you can just purify water and get food.  It's a pretty easy job, but because of this, there's usually such a high number of purifiers in the Initiations that you'd be better off holding another job to prove yourself.  I don't know what you'd do, Handal.  I could try and teach you some strategies just in case..."  He spends the next few minutes scrawling descriptions on a piece of paper I bring him.  
"And for the final question, the blow up raft, don't risk it.  There's all sorts of things that could go wrong there."  The soldier frowns in thought.  "Let me tell you a story.  One morning, Rede, Talaimai, and I were walking on the beach, which is outside this great stone wall that protects the inhabitants of the Initiations.  During daylight hours is the only time it's safe, because once it gets dark, monsters come out."
"You're kidding," Handal says after a moment's hesitation. "Right?"
"I'm not kidding," Private Bradshaw says rather seriously.  "When I said your brother was like a soldier in the Initiations, did you think I meant a protector from dangerous people?  No, it's the creatures he guards against.  Every night, he and the soldiers he gave orders to would stay up and make sure nothing breached his section of the wall.  There's also a wall in the Islands, but it's pretty much unguarded due to the lack of Initiates.  You'll have to be careful at night.  Getting back to the story... At this point, 14 year old Tal hadn't yet adapted to the late hours of the job he'd inherited by the unexpected death of 17 yr old Antakai, who he had apprenticed himself to in exchange for training and food. He was exhausted every day for about a month.  During this time, Rede and I, who were once Antakai's advisors and now Talaimai's, had to find all his food and water to keep him alive so he could be awake enough do his difficult job of leading the soldiers in the nighttime.
"One morning when all the monsters had retreated back into the water, Rede, Tal, and I walked down through a small passageway to the beach.  Rede and I were teasing Tal about how tired he looked from the night before, and Rede picked up a disk shaped rock.  'Watch this,' she had told me.  She tried to skip the rock across the waves, and failed miserably.  The friendly teasing turned to her instead, and somehow we got in a contest to see who could throw the rock the furthest.  Tal threw first.  When Rede threw, she beat Tal's distance by a long shot.  'You throw like a girl,' she'd told tired Talaimai with a grin and a nudge."  Bradshaw grows quiet, and a bittersweet smile appears on his lips.  "I miss them."
"Please keep telling it.  I miss him, too," I whisper.  Beside me, Handal nods eagerly.
"I'm forgetting my bearing," the Private whispers, blinking.  "Okay, I'll go on!  So it was then my turn to chuck a rock.  It took me a few minutes to find a good softball sized one along the shoreline, and I wound my arm back as far as I could... and let it fly!  My distance surpassed both of theirs.  Then, right in the middle of the day, even in broad daylight, a monster leaped out of the ocean and caught the rock in its mouth.  It was so large that it's head alone, from the tip of its snout to its ears, was equivalent to half my height.  I startled backwards and fell onto the wet sand behind me, and I heard Rede scream.  Tal was the only one who didn't show fear, and if he had, I don't know if I'd be here today.  He pulled me to my feet and pushed both of Rede and I through the passageway, past the wall to safety.  
"Once the chance of prey had been eliminated, the creature disappeared back into the water to escape the daylight.  We never went back down to the beach ever again for casual fun; after that, the only reason to go was to gather buckets of water for the purifiers, or the special seaweed in the case of sickness."
"Wow," Handal says, fascinated and fearful.
"Is that when Talaimai saved you?" I ask.
Bradshaw shakes his head, smiling downward at the untouched fruit plate.  "Talaimai saved my life quite a few times, actually.  I wasn't thinking of this when I had told you that.  He saved me a different way, involving a knife.  I won't haunt you with the details."  
"You're haunting us with the lack of details," Handal says quietly.
The Private obviously doesn't want to talk about it, so I change the subject.  "Where do the creatures come from?  I don't remember my parents saying anything about creatures in their Initiations."
"Hard question," Bradshaw sighs.  "They weren't there in the first two years of my Initiations.  I remember the panic that arose during their first sighting, and that was back when the creatures were tiny.  Rumor has it that an unknown country that doesn't share our opinions dropped them off to inflict damage onto our youth.  Nothing has been done to destroy them by the United Fifteen because they've proved to be quite useful at helping Initiates prove their values.  Sadly, they've also help with elimination."
"So they're just going to keep them there?" Handal exclaims.  "You can't be serious!"
"Until their presence starts disrupting the natural ocean environment, most likely.  The thing is, they seem to stay within the Initiation areas."  
A buzzer sounds from the young soldier's pocket, and he stands up and pushes in his chair.  "I better be getting on my way. Remember what I said about the string and duffel bags!  If you have any more questions, here's my contact information."  He hands both of us a card, and then goes to give one to my mother. 

"Thank you for helping the girls, Private Bradshaw," my mother says.
"My pleasure!  And thank you for the hot chocolate."  After reminding us about bringing string and supplies in duffel bags, he steps outside.
"Wait!" Handal cries suddenly.
Bradshaw's eyes snap in her direction.  "What is it?"
"Were you there?  At the Honor Court?"
"Yes, I was standing on the balcony the whole time...my feet still ache from it..."
"Honor Court Four?"
"Yes..?"
"How did my Initiations go?  Please tell me," Handal pleads.  "Did I do something that made me go to the Island Initiation?  Please tell me.  I really have to know."
Bradshaw's eyes soften.  "It's classified.  However, I do remember you saying you've lost someone."
Handal's eyes widen.  Her thoughts are practically painted on her face: Did I keep my promise?
"Everyone's lost a sibling or a friend to the Initiations.  Me too," Bradshaw says with a deep sadness.  "Just remember, it's a lie that only the valuable will survive.  Plenty of the most valuable people don't make it.  Like Antakai.  She was everything to Talaimai, Rede and I for a while.  Practically our mom in the Initiations.  I knew her for about three years, and Tal and Rede knew her for about six months each, as they came to the Initiations the same year.  Even though they were newer, I think Talaimai was her favorite.  She always thought that he'd do well in her position after she left to go home to the United Fifteen.  She probably could have left if she'd wanted to, as her value had been proven several times over.  I think she cared too much for us to leave."
A horrible thought hits me.  "What if Talaimai's not alive, Private Bradshaw?"
"He will be," the Private says with an edge of stubbornness.  "If he isn't, I'll kill him."  Quickly, he realizes his words.  Turning away, he stutters, "I mean, he'll definitely be alive.  I don't have a doubt about it."  When he looks back at Handal, his face is flushed red.  "But anyways, although I can't disclose the information about your actions today, I can say that you were very brave.  And Saphara, tell your brother I said hi."  
"I'll do that, Private," I tell him, and Handal whispers a thank you.  With that, the Private leaves.
Outside, the porch light illuminates the falling snow near the front of our house.  Private Cruinneas Bradshaw disappears into the night, leaving spinning snowflakes in his wake.  I can see the small form of his two person green hovercar waiting a foot or two above our yard, giving me relief that he will have transportation on this cold night. When the bright lights finally disappear from my view, I get a feeling I won't be seeing him again for a long time.  
Thank you, Private, for giving us peace of heart.  I wish you safety on your way home, and I will make sure that my brother gets word of you once I can find him.  And even if I can't, thanks for telling me your stories.  Knowing that people have experienced this before me makes me feel so much less alone.

"Thank you, Bradshaw," Handal whispers behind me.  We look at each other, and for one fleeting moment we're both smiling.  Suddenly, I feel like crying because I know that Handal won't be with me during the Initiations, and her chances have been decreased so much.  Tears well up in my eyes.  "355...Han..."
She puts a hand on my shoulder.  "It's okay, Saphara.  I'll be okay.  I know I will.  I have already been, right?  I did it!  I fulfilled my promise."  Now, tears are forming in the corners of her eyes as well.  "If I could do that and still live, that's a miracle, Saphara.  I know you're worried for me.  Don't cry, Saph...don't cry...  I have my peace of mind now, and you don't have to worry.  Please don't cry.  I'll see you again.  I promise you I will.  And you know my value?  Reliability?  I always keep promises, don't I?"
"Hey, I found a board game!  Now that he's gone, do you want to play?"  At the sound of my little sister's voice, we both turn to look.  Innocently, she carries a box in her hand.  When she notices the tears in our eyes, her grin falls.  "Wow.  Too many crying people today," she murmurs seriously.  "Didn't I tell you?  I don't like that guy.  He's bad luck.  Being around him makes happy tears, sad tears, stubbed toes..."
"She's right," Handal says, wiping a tear.  "This is going to get old really soon.  I don't want to remember you all sad for me, do I?  No.  Let's make good memories now, Saphara.  Come on.  382, we'll be right over."  


© 2013 A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)


Author's Note

A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
Wow, you have to take a look at this! It's a site. I forget how I found it, but it's given me some curious moments with both myself and my characters. If you want to try it, put the link below in your address bar and edit the parts in parenthesis - NO SPACES!
http://www.kabalarians.com/(maleorfemale)/(firstname).htm

I don't really know how this works, but it seems like it's a philosophy that links one's name to one's personality. I tried it using my name, and for me, it's really accurate. It's also accurate with 4/5 of my immediate family members.

So do I believe in the philosophy? I don't know. Just because my description was disturbingly accurate doesn't mean another person's will be as well. You should try it anyways, just to see.

How does this relate to my story? Well, I tried to put in my characters names as well, but (of course) the site didn't recognize most of them. I guess it really doesn't relate much...

Anyways, for the purpose of what this note is made for, any constructive criticism would be accepted. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on December 1, 2013
Last Updated on December 5, 2013

Initiation Ultimate


Author

A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

About
Once, when I was 12, I wrote a 365 page book. Then, it corrupted. So I rewrote it, and now it's even better than before. Some of my interests are archery, fencing, and the Civil Air Patrol. I als.. more..

Writing