INITIATION ULTIMATE, Chapter 9.2:  Narrated by Saphara

INITIATION ULTIMATE, Chapter 9.2: Narrated by Saphara

A Chapter by A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
"

6 days before the Initiations, and New Years Eve... Also, a little bit on the history of Saphara and Handal. Very important...

"
"Bye, Handal..."
"Bye, Saph... Good times..."
This is how my New Year's Eve starts: saying goodbye to my best friend.  I mentally remind myself to contact her before 12:00 pm.  I'm not superstitious, but "bye" is not the last thing I want to say to her before we start a new stage of our lives.
Handal follows her mother to her grey hovercar, making tracks in the freshly fallen snow.  One of our neighbor's dogs begins barking, and Handal's mother forces her to go faster into the car, a paranoid look about her face.  
I've never liked that woman too much, tall and slender with angular features.  She reminds me somewhat of a witch, and being around her too long scares me.  Handal's father is even worse...he looks at people as if they are meals.  Rumor has it that Handal's parents are governmental spies, and they assist in the torture of war criminals from different countries.  Handal has been asked about this rumor many times at school, and though she has never given an answer, she hasn't denied it either.  Instead, she would usually put up her defenses and turn the tables on her questioner.  I think there is some truth to this rumor, and that despite her shady childhood, it was her sister's ideals that allowed her to adapt positive values.  My guess explains why Handal looked up to her sister so much.
Besides not wanting to cause trouble, I never asked about the rumor because my father is into the same business.  I never see him because he's always gone.  He doesn't even live with us, even though he gives us a monthly bill and sends letters now and then.  About that, I have mixed feelings.  I don't want a letter, I want my dad.  Or do I?  Would I like him?  I don't know.  Haven't seen him since I was seven.  I don't think I could really trust him anymore, after all this time.  Not to mention, the county I live in, Tokashiina, is known for the superior training of their Creatorians, especially in the fields of interrogation and torture.  That said, the ravens seem to gather here.  

____

Paracord, my katana, a lightweight fleece blanket, some water filter straws, and a couple snacks... the list goes on and on.  As the Private had suggested, I was able to get my mom to buy me a duffel bag, and our only task now is to fill it.  "Look at this, you might need it!" 382 cries, running down the aisles to meet us, holding a thin package filled with a blue tarp.  "'Cause how are you gonna make a tent?  Take it, Saphara!"
"Might be a good idea," my mother adds, fitting it inside the duffel bag beside our other items.  "And a flashlight!  You'll definitely need one.  I still remember how dark it gets, especially during the storms.  We'll need batteries... And hey, look at this one!  It's solar powered!"
"How're you gonna brush your teeth, Saphara?" 382 chirps.  "Your mouth will taste so gross if you don't brush it.  Toothbrushes, definitely!"  She rushes off to a different aisle.
"She's a natural at this," my mother states beside me.  "If only she was old enough while we went shopping for Tal..."
"What did he bring?" I ask curiously.
"Some toothbrushes, toothpaste, his knives, and a water pack that he could carry on his back," my mother sighs.  "I didn't prepare him that well at all.  When I heard about the duffel bag allowance, I felt so bad.  At least Talaimai has found his way, that brave boy.  
"In my time, they didn't allow us to bring anything other than a weapon to the Initiations that we couldn't fill our pockets with.  Of course, they supplied us with toothbrushes, toilet paper, etc. every month.  They must be cutting you lucky kids some slack nowadays."
Oh right.  She wasn't there to hear about the monsters in the Initiations.  Well, I shouldn't worry her.  More tears won't do anything but bring me down.
"Yeah," I nod, faking a grin.  "We're lucky.  Really lucky."

____

When we get home, it's around six.  There's a block party down the road, which everyone in the neighborhood is invited to.  My mother eventually persuades me to come along, insisting that it will be fun, and a great memory to bring with me into the Initiations.  So I go, and it's worth it.  I get to visit a house that's practically the mansion of our neighborhood, meet a few other kids my age who I used to occasionally play with when I was younger, and eat some delicious food.  If only Handal was here!  A girl my age named Dobrina Eckers lets me video call on their family wall screen.

After waiting a few minutes for my friend to answer, her face flashes onto the wall.  Her light brown hair is down, reaching her shoulders, and she's wearing pajamas with neon-colored dots.  When she sees where I am, her mouth drops to the floor.  "Hey, Saph!  Whoa!  Where are you?"
"I'm at the Eckers' house for a New Year's Party," I look around to make sure nobody's listening.  "I wish you were here."
"The Eckers... they always hold those extravagant parties every year, don't they?"
I nod excitedly.  "Every year.  And the one year I didn't go, I was kept up all night with the sound of fireworks through the whole night."
Handal smiles.  "I think some years, I could hear them from my neighborhood.  Tell me when they're about to set off the fireworks, I'd like to watch from my window."
"I'll try to do that.  If Dobrina lets me use her wall screen again."
"Who's Dobrina?" Handal asks.  "I'm still not used to the new names of our classmates.  I recognize the last name..."
"824," I answer.  "Black hair, brown eyes, the girl that's always trying to help people out." I drop to a whisper. "She's a little chunky, but not fat, and she has messy hair."  I hope she's not listening...
"I think I know who your talking about," Handal says.  "She's nice, isn't she?"
"Yes, she's pretty nice.  So how's your New Year's Eve?"
Handal gives a long sigh.  "Boring, like most years.  I'm just drawing in my room, lonely..."  She pretends to wipe a tear.  "Mom and Dad are at a neighborhood party, as well.  No kids allowed!" She gives a sarcastic laugh.  "I know I'm not a self-proven citizen yet, but I'd think, because I passed the Naming Ceremony, I would at least not be considered a kid!  But hey, I understand.  There's probably some drinking there, and I'd probably just get in the way."
"Maybe you could come over here!" I suggest, grinning.
"Nah, no use not being invited.  Just because I'm in the neighborhood right next to yours, I'm apparently not your neighbor!  Too bad for me!"  She sits down on her bed.  "So why'd you call, Saph... to keep me company?"
"I just wanted to wish you a Happy New Years."
Handal's eyes smile.  "Well, thanks for thinking of me.  Happy New Years to you, too," her eyes wander towards the ground as she reads the time on her Wall Screen, "in three hours!"
A rap comes from the door of Dobrina's room.  "One second, I'm coming out," I tell the knocker, and then turn back to Handal.  "I'll try to let you know when there's fireworks, okay?"
She smiles.  "Ah, you don't have to.  You seem busy over there, and I'll probably hear them anyways.  Happy New Years, Saphara."  Standing up and walking to the screen, she presses a button and then disappears from the Wall Screen.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my back as I exit Dobrina's room and return to the food, my neighbors, and the noise.  "Happy New Years" is a much better way to go than "Bye."


© 2013 A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)


Author's Note

A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
It will soon be 2014!
As I am writing this, it is 12/13/2013. On Dec. 30th, it is the day the Naming Ceremony takes place, as well.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on December 14, 2013
Last Updated on December 14, 2013
Tags: Initiations, Handal, Saphara, New Years Eve, dystopia, paracord

Initiation Ultimate


Author

A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

About
Once, when I was 12, I wrote a 365 page book. Then, it corrupted. So I rewrote it, and now it's even better than before. Some of my interests are archery, fencing, and the Civil Air Patrol. I als.. more..

Writing