Bonfire Night

Bonfire Night

A Poem by Viv Wade
"

All about the traditional British celebration of Bonfire Night.

"

“Remember, remember the 5th of November,

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.”

 

It was 1605, in old London Town King James was the man on the throne.

Robert Catesby and friends felt that it was high time that parliament was overthrown.

They spoke to Guy Fawkes, a man who knew how to make things go off with a bang,

And they drafted a plot to blow parliament up, a treason for which they could hang.

 

The King and his government were due to meet in the House of Lords, 5th of November,

So Catesby decided to make that the date that England would always remember.

Thirty-six kegs of gunpowder they bought, and smuggled it into the basement,

Beneath where the King would sit upon his throne - they would blast him as he made his statement!

 

But somehow the government heard of the plot, and raided the cellar at night,

They captured Guy Fawkes well before he could act to make the gunpowder ignite.

They tortured and executed poor Guy Fawkes, while Catesby and Co. got away.

Guy Fawkes was the man who took all of the blame.  We commemorate him to this day.

 

For every year on November the 5th, we have bonfire and firework shows,

And children make effigies of old Guy Fawkes, and dress him in tatty old clothes.

He’s thrown on the bonfire and everyone cheers to see Guy Fawkes incinerated.

Yet sometimes I wonder - have we got it wrong?  Should Guy Fawkes be so publicly hated?

 

Now it’s 2016, Queen Liz sits on the throne, and Cameron’s in Downing Street,

With George Osbourne next door, they’re all robbing the poor, who struggle to make both ends meet.

Sick people are suffering through lack of care, while others work hard for low pay,

Parents are going without food and heat, to feed their young kids every day.

Yet the rich just get richer, and don’t give a toss for ordinary hard-working folk.

Politicians have lost touch with reality, to them it’s all one great big joke.

 

So this year on bonfire night, do spare a thought for Guy Fawkes, and his retribution,

‘Cause when you weigh up politicians today - gunpowder’s the only solution!

 

© 2016 Viv Wade


Author's Note

Viv Wade
If you enjoyed this poem, why not check out my new book entitled, ‘Things Can Only Get Verse' - a collection of humorous poems on a variety of subjects, including: social network addiction, self-service checkout machines, having a hangover, internet dating, dieting, online auctions, getting older, and more. Available on Amazon for only £4.00/$6.00. Life is more fun when it rhymes!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

All, and I do mean all, organizations lose their way. The idealistic stance at inception falls away as every day matters take the attention, and unusual solutions start to dominate the thought processes, leading ultimately to an often violent outcome.
However, it's great fun to light the 'wick' and then stand clear.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Viv Wade

7 Years Ago

Yes, I think it would be great fun to light a wick under our government today! If I had the chance,.. read more



Reviews

All, and I do mean all, organizations lose their way. The idealistic stance at inception falls away as every day matters take the attention, and unusual solutions start to dominate the thought processes, leading ultimately to an often violent outcome.
However, it's great fun to light the 'wick' and then stand clear.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Viv Wade

7 Years Ago

Yes, I think it would be great fun to light a wick under our government today! If I had the chance,.. read more
Thanks Sam. I wrote this to try to raise awareness of Bonfire Night, as it seems to be dying out as a tradition these days, in favour of the Americanised version of Halloween. And because we could do with another Guy Fawkes to have a go at sorting out our politicians! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Sam.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I enjoyed this bit of a history lesson coupled with your very valid thoughts. It's been my impression that Fawkes was more of a hero than a villain. The little person who stands up to power has always impressed me.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 3, 2015
Last Updated on January 22, 2016
Tags: Bonfire, Guy Fawkes, Gunpowder plot

Author

Viv Wade
Viv Wade

Black Country, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
I always thought I’d like to write A bestseller or two, So I resolved to have a go, And see what I could do. I got my trusty laptop out, Placed it on the table, Plugged it in to charge it .. more..

Writing