Labor of love: Brody's Birth

Labor of love: Brody's Birth

A Story by Vanessa Rico
"

This is the story of the day that my little boy was born. I hope you enjoy it!

"

Today was the day. I had waited nine long months for this day to finally arrive. How did I know that today was the big day? Well, my water had just ruptured. Now, you might think that I was rushing around to get my bags in order and then dash to the hospital; however, I was already there.

 The day before, Monday, I, along with my boyfriend, Josh (he is my husband now), had gone to my regularly scheduled OBGYN appointment only to find that my blood pressure was abnormally high. My doctor wanted me to go to the hospital next door for a stress test just to make sure everything was all right. At the hospital, Josh waited by my side to hear the tests results of the stress tests. My OBGYN, Dr. Erica Fullerton, diagnosed that I was on the verge of developing pre-eclampsia so she wanted me to stay in the hospital overnight for observation. She explained to us that if my blood pressure did not stabilize that she would induce labor. I had read enough books on pregnancy to know the seriousness of pre-eclampsia; thus, I immediately agreed to the overnight observation. Josh went home to get a few things that would last me an overnight stay in the hospital; neither of us knew that the overnight stay would turn into a week’s stay.

I am not the world’s best sleeper, but Josh stayed by my side all night. I finally managed to fall asleep even though it was a restless, fitful slumber. At one in the morning, I woke up with an urge to use the restroom. So not to disturb Josh, I slipped past his chair, which was not an easy feat with my beach ball belly. Once in the restroom, I realized something was off. When I stood up, I looked down to see that water was gushing from me onto the floor. Believe me, I know how gross it sounds, I had to live it for goodness’ sake. Waddling back to my bed, I pushed the button for a nurse.

Soon, I found myself in the delivery room with a very nervous looking Josh at my side. He somehow managed to look pale considering his beautifully tanned skin (all thanks to his Mexican heritage). I could feel the stir of contractions beginning and thought that they were no big deal. Wow, I had never been so wrong in my life. My doctor gave me a medicine to help speed the delivery along. Within a few hours, I was looking at Josh with an intense desire to personally castrate him. I cannot even describe his look of unease and discomfort as I told him what I really, really wanted to do to him. The pain was unbearable. The contractions were piggybacking and I could not get the chance to catch my breath. Like any other woman, I had a plan for how I wanted my delivery to be. My perfect delivery plan had been to go all natural without an epidural or pain medication, thinking the labor could not last more than a few hours. How wrong I was! After ten hours of painful contractions, I changed my mind about that epidural. Turning to Josh, who looked a little queasy, I spat out that I wanted the epidural and I wanted it NOW! I swear I have never, ever seen Josh move like that. He was gone like the Flash.

In a half hour, I was flying high and pain free. True to point, I could even smile and sleep. For the next six hours, I caught up with my sleep. Who knew when I would get the next opportunity to sleep for an uninterrupted six hours? Around five thirty in the afternoon, I had this urge…an urge to push I have never felt before. Once again, I turned to Josh, who I could tell was afraid I would bite his head off, and asked to get the nurse. I was much sweeter this time when I asked, I promise. The nurse came in and checked to see how dilated I was (I will not churn your stomach as to how she found out that particular information). She smiled at me and said that it was time. Relief swept through me along with that persistent urge to push. For the next most intense half hour of my life, I pushed while Josh held my hand and whispered endearments to me. At one point during the labor process, I did not think I would be able to go on. The nurse said that I was crowning and that a lot of women felt that way during that time. I looked into Josh’s liquid, warm chocolate brown eyes and knew that I had to go on and finish what we started. With one last push, my little boy was born. I saw my little boy, my Brody, and I smiled. Brody was placed on my chest and I noticed how his hair stuck up, just like his father’s hair. His beautiful brown eyes were wide open and he was just looking at me and reaching out to me. Josh cut the umbilical cord. We both just held each other and our little boy, who was the most precious gift that we could have been given. Weighing in at a whopping 7 pounds 6 ounces, Brody Josue, was born on June 9, 2009, a day that has changed my life forever…a day I will never forget, a day I will always celebrate the birth of my little beastie, who is going on two years old.

© 2011 Vanessa Rico


Author's Note

Vanessa Rico
I do hope that you love this story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Weighing in at a whopping 7 pounds 6 ounces, Brody Josue, was born on June 9, 2009, a day that has changed my life forever…a day I will never forget, a day I will always celebrate the birth of my little beastie, who is going on two years old."

This part was so cute! I am happy you have a great family :) This story was adorable.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Read the story and accompanies reviews with curiosity and attention.
The story never went vulgar.This decency is the sacred event for the child,their parents and all who support the new comer.
I felt very happy to learn important information from the story and the reviews.
Wish you,your husband and Brody Josue good health and bright future.
I also congratulate you and the reviewers for creating a lovely place to visit.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thank you so much for sharing this story! Delivering my baby girl is the single best day of my life and hearing about your precious day reminded me of my own. Women are so lucky to get to experience this. Congratulations, still, on your little "beastie."

Posted 12 Years Ago


what a wonderful story. I hope your son gives you much joy, I lost my son at three months old when he died. I have never gotten over his loss.
Lucie

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow amezing story
i think childbirth are a blessing they are a "labor of love"
They moms and dads world go round
I do so love kids so much that i had 5they are all grown up
i absolutely love your giving birth story
Hugsssss

Posted 12 Years Ago


I thought what you wrote was very beautiful. I don't have children myself, and I hope to have some someday. I could tell in the piece the love that you have for your husband and little boy. Congratulations to you and your husband with your little boy.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This brings back the best memories - I hope it will be one of your treasured memories as well! Great story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I had five such days in my life. You described them all quite well. Yes, they certainly change your life, forever.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww.. So sweet!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really do love it:) It was just adorable! I can't imagine the pain but I can't wait to have babies of my own:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


aww loved this :) i have a 3 yr old, and a mother never forgets the labor and birth of her child. wonderful story

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2340 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 9, 2011
Last Updated on April 9, 2011

Author

Vanessa Rico
Vanessa Rico

Walhalla, SC



About
Hey writerscafe! Its been a very long hiatus since I have been on here and actively writing. I have missed both writing and this community. When I was first on here, I was a mom of 1 but now I have be.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Vanessa Rico



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


Pieces Of String Pieces Of String

A Poem by OT