Persephone and Hades: An Ancient Love Story

Persephone and Hades: An Ancient Love Story

A Story by Vanessa Rico
"

This is my version of what happened between Persephone and Hades.

"

For the love of Hermes’ winged shoes, where did she place that goddess charmed brooch? If she did not find it soon, she would be late for the Spring Equinox Celebration. Persephone looked high and low for the brooch that Demeter gifted her at the Harvest Festival last autumn. Mentally checking off a where-in-the-world-could-it-be list, Persephone stood up surveying the mess she created in search of the brooch, which had been blessed and charmed by the love goddess, Aphrodite, herself. The bewitched, or in this case begoddessed, brooch was created to attract and draw in the wearer’s soul mate. Persephone loved the white rose brooch that was created with many crystal clear diamonds and white gold. The design had been created by her mother and it sort of became her trademark with her friends, as well as the rest of the gods and goddesses. It is not hard to understand why a rose was perfect for the goddess of spring. Where, oh where, could the brooch be, thought Persephone. Instantly, she relaxed for she knew a person, or rather a goddess, who would know where it was…after all, her mother knew everything.

Persephone’s mother, the great goddess of the harvest and fertility, Demeter knew that her daughter was lonely and needed some spice in her life…and by spice, she meant a man. Persephone needed someone to anchor her to the earth lest she fly away with her frivolity. Demeter was awfully tired of her daughter frolicking and playing with the nymphs and the lesser godlings, who only wanted to dance and drink and be merry. It was time for her little girl to grow up, which is why Demeter asked Aphrodite to charm a brooch to bring love into her daughter’s life. Looking at herself in the mirror, Demeter smiled at her reflection knowing Persephone was on her way to her bedroom. Before Persephone could even knock, Demeter called out, “Come in, daughter.” With a grace that only a goddess could have, Persephone glided into her mother’s bedroom and plopped herself down on to the fainting couch with a sigh. Persephone looked expectantly at her mother and waited. “Yes, child, I know what you are seeking. The brooch is in the kitchen where you left it after trying on different aprons in an attempt to look fashionable while you cooked ambrosia.” In a flash that was impossible for humans, Persephone was at her mother’s side hugging her for her sheer love for this woman.

With a quick kiss on the cheek, Persephone thanked her mother and raced to the kitchen to retrieve her misplaced brooch. A quick check in the hall mirror revealed a beautiful young girl on the cusp of womanhood. Straight blonde hair framed her heart-shaped face. Her green eyes that reminded her of a summer meadow looked back at her with a mischievous spark, knowing full well that forbidden demi-gods and heroes would be attending the party. After a few minor adjustments, Persephone pinned the brooch on her left shoulder strap of her long, flowing Grecian style dress. Then, she was off to the meadows of Enna to bring in the new season of rebirth.

Firefly lights and garlands of freshly picked flowers decorated the meadow. Persephone slid off of Pegasus, who had given her a ride since he was going in the same direction. With a thank you kiss and a wave, Pegasus took off in search of his hero. As soon as Persephone arrived, she was surrounded by nymphs, satyrs, and godlings all wanting her attention and approval for various reasons. She graced everyone with a smile and told them that it was time for Spring to begin. Persephone walked to the middle of the meadow and everyone followed and formed a circle around her. Raising her hands into the sky, the air around her began to shimmer with the power of a goddess. “Thank you Winter for wiping away the old and making it possible for the birth of Spring. I give you thanks as always, you have done your job until next year. Go in peace! Spring, I call you forth to grace us once again to color the earth in vibrant colors.” No sooner had Persephone spoken those words, when all the flowers in the meadow burst into bloom. All of the nymphs, satyrs, and godlings looked around in awe at all of the variety of flowers and colors. It was the magic of a goddess that created such beauty and caused others to want the touch of a goddess.

 

Far below the meadow of Enna, Hades felt a strange pull that he had been struggling with. For the past several months, he had been fighting these odd feelings, because they were foreign to him. Tonight was the night that he gave into the feelings and just let them lead him. Standing in the dank, dark underground only lit by the greenish glow of the River Styx, Hades knew that he must venture out and up into the world that he had been rejected by. It was not his fault that he was forced and tricked by his brother, Zeus, to care for the dead; thus, becoming lord of the underworld. Hades had gone so long from a visit with another god that he was lonely and desperate for some contact. With that in mind, Hades used his godly power and transported himself to the outskirts of the meadow of Enna.

 At once, Hades saw the celebration that was taking place; he even recognized the little goddess of spring with her voluptuous, curvy body that told him she was becoming a woman. He felt the air around him stir with the magic of the Spring goddess and saw the meadow transform into a beauty that poets could only try and fail to describe. Looking out at the goddess, who joined hands with two nymphs, he saw her dance around and around laughing as she did so. A powerful need coursed through his body. It had been eons since he had felt his loins on fire, and they had never burned this badly. He needed to talk to her, but how? Silently, he paced back and forth trying to formulate a plan. Aha! With a snap of his fingers, Hades transformed into a strong, healthy buck…it was the perfect plan.

 

She had been laughing so hard that her sides hurt from the effort. Persephone needed a break so she sauntered over to the makeshift buffet and ambrosia juice bar. A satyr lovingly handed her a goblet of mango ambrosia, her favorite. A few nymphs gestured for her to rejoin the dancing, Persephone shook her head no, and they went back to dancing. She needed a break her feet were killing her, which was her fault for wearing the wrong sandals to an event like this. With goblet in hand, Persephone kicked the sandals from her feet. Free at last her feet sang with pleasure. She was about to sit down, when she noticed an impossibly large buck prancing around the outskirts of the meadow. Being the goddess of spring, animals loved her and responded in kind. Persephone motioned to the buck to come closer, but the buck shook his head and turned tail into the forest. Never before had an animal refused her invitation of company. There must be something wrong, so she decided to follow the animal into the forest.

At night, forests can be kind of creepy, especially when you hear a twig being crushed under an unknown weight. Persephone knew logically she should not be scared. For Zeus’ sake, she was a goddess! Still, she felt the fear of the unknown just as keenly as a human would. The moonlight guided her way through the forest; its bright white light illuminated a clearing. Calling out to the animal, Persephone did not hear her name being called. As if by instinct, she twirled around smacking into a mountain of hard, sinewy muscle and fell un-goddess like onto her dainty butt.

“What in the world were you doing sneaking up on me like that,” Persephone grumbled as the mountain reached forward and gave her a helping hand off the ground.

“I am sorry, goddess…I just…It has been awhile since I have been graced by a god or goddess, and I did not know how else to talk to you.” The mountain of a man admitted and looked down at the ground in disgrace. Persephone studied the hard lines of the god’s face in front of her. She knew immediately that he was a god, because no human could radiate an aura so powerful and manly. There were many gods and she racked her brain for the name of the one who stood so bereft before her.

A light bulb popped up in her mind. This stunning perfection of manliness and godliness was the god of the underworld, Hades. “No problem. Really. I had myself already spooked, so it was my fault…” The words stopped in her throat as Hades lifted his eyes to meet hers. His eyes were a brilliant silver that could only be created by moonlight, a gasp of pleasure caught in her throat. She had never in her life seen such beauty, yet so much sorrow in a god’s eyes. Most gods never allowed themselves to feel such human emotions; they thought it was beneath them. Her heart swelled with love for this god, who she very well knew did not have any love in his life. He had been denied it by his brother, Zeus, and forced into the bowels of the earth. No wonder Zeus wanted him there. If Hades was allowed to roam the earth, all of the maidens that Zeus wooed would fell at Hades sandaled feet. Hades was a study in male perfection. “Hades has anyone ever told you that you have such beautiful eyes?” Persephone’s hand gently caressed his cheek causing Hades to shiver with something a lot weightier than lust.

“Persephone, if you keep touching me like that, I will not be responsible for my actions,” Hades said with a barely suppressed, lust-filled growl. Smiling, Persephone let her hand drift down his bare chest making Hades moan. “Please, Persephone, do not play with me…it hurts too much.”

A flash of goddess anger filled her eyes; Persephone’s voice grew in volume with the power of a goddess. “I am not playing Hades. I am sure of what I want!” With her announcement, Persephone hungrily placed her lips on Hades’ lips. Another moan escaped Hades and he eagerly responded to the goddess in front of him. He had never known a goddess’ love nor had he known the passion a goddess could create.

 Cupping her sweet, delectable a*s, Hades lifted Persephone and she responded by wrapping her legs around his strong waist. With that action, Persephone could feel Hades hard, very hard, and long length, this caused a moan to escape her lips. Inwardly, Persephone thanked her mother for the brooch that brought this great god into her life.

 Hades fell to the ground with Persephone on top, straddling him, and asked, “Are you sure, my goddess?” In response to his question, Persephone undid her dress and brought her lips once again to Hades’ lips. He had never known such perfection and love ever before. Those strange feelings that he had felt for months had been love for this goddess. He did not think it was possible for him to love and be loved in return. He sent up a brief thank you prayer to the goddess of love and swore that he heard her musical laughter in response.

 

Later on after a very hot and heavy lovemaking session, Persephone and Hades lay together with their sweat glistened bodies entwined. They already decided on the details on living arrangements and how to broach the subject with Demeter. The silver moonlight shined on them as they held each other and declared their love for each other. Hades could never stop smiling at the little goddess who so captured his heart. Her sweet and gentle ways have filled his cold heart with a love that would make other gods and goddesses jealous. “I love you Hades,” Persephone purred into his neck as she left a trail of hungry kisses on his naked skin. Before he would lose himself yet again in their passion, Hades responded, “I love you too, my little goddess.” This brought a smile to the face of Persephone, whose face lit up with love for him; then, her face clouded in confusion. “What is wrong my love?”

Persephone sat up a little and looked around, and asked, “Where’s the buck?” Laughter exploded from Hades as he kissed her on the mouth with a passion that made Persephone forget about the buck. All she thought of was his love as he proved to her again and again how much he loved her.

© 2011 Vanessa Rico


Author's Note

Vanessa Rico
I hope you enjoy it! I know it is not exactly the story, but its my twist. I do love me some ancient mythology!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Raising her hands into the sky, the air around her began to shimmer with the power of a goddess" The structure of this makes it sound like the air raissed her arms into the sky. It's a common mistaake. You should say "Raising her hands into the sky, she made the air shimmer with her power of a goddess." Or something allong those lines.

"to color the earth in vibrant colors.” Change one of the "colors" to make it less repetitious. maybe "vibrant hues" or something.

"Still, she felt the fear of the unknown just as keenly as a human would." Love this. Makes her more personal, and Greek gods and goddesses were anything but perfect.

"would fell at Hades sandaled feet" I think you meant "fall"

"Her sweet and gentle ways have filled" Should be "had filled"

I think the beginning paragraph could use a littl ework, as it gets a bit repetitive and hackneyed, and you used to-be verbs a lot, which took away from the piece as a whole. It made it quite passive, rather than active. But other than that, I loved your interpretation of this myth. You have clearly done your research and recreated it in vivid (if slightly altered) scenes that had a good pace and never really lagged. I could picture everything you described (except the brooch, Iwas a little confused why you spent so much time on it) and I really enjoyed reading this. You have a talent. I hope you write more of these and send them to me, because I love Greek mythology.

Great job and keep writing and sending me RRs.

Posted 12 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kia
I've always enjoyed "ancient mythology." The ending had such a twist, but rather predictable, all in all, it was good for a short story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


My favorite topics. The myth and story. I like the way you create the situation and gave life and purpose to the characters and their actions. Hades is a hard and cold man in myth. I did the like the ending. Thank you for sharing your amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


I loved it(: It felt like right after she followed Hades everything was real rushed...wish you slowed down . It felt a but rushed at the end.

Posted 10 Years Ago


wow ! you are amazing !
it just sounds like you are in a hurry to end it
but you are damn Good :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great story, Van. Awesome twist.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awsome story keep up the great work


Posted 12 Years Ago


Very good. It's a very good different version from all of the ones I've heard of, such as Persephone being forced to marry Hades and such. Nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"Raising her hands into the sky, the air around her began to shimmer with the power of a goddess" The structure of this makes it sound like the air raissed her arms into the sky. It's a common mistaake. You should say "Raising her hands into the sky, she made the air shimmer with her power of a goddess." Or something allong those lines.

"to color the earth in vibrant colors.” Change one of the "colors" to make it less repetitious. maybe "vibrant hues" or something.

"Still, she felt the fear of the unknown just as keenly as a human would." Love this. Makes her more personal, and Greek gods and goddesses were anything but perfect.

"would fell at Hades sandaled feet" I think you meant "fall"

"Her sweet and gentle ways have filled" Should be "had filled"

I think the beginning paragraph could use a littl ework, as it gets a bit repetitive and hackneyed, and you used to-be verbs a lot, which took away from the piece as a whole. It made it quite passive, rather than active. But other than that, I loved your interpretation of this myth. You have clearly done your research and recreated it in vivid (if slightly altered) scenes that had a good pace and never really lagged. I could picture everything you described (except the brooch, Iwas a little confused why you spent so much time on it) and I really enjoyed reading this. You have a talent. I hope you write more of these and send them to me, because I love Greek mythology.

Great job and keep writing and sending me RRs.

Posted 12 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

great twist! i think it's much better than the original.

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 8 people found this review constructive.

Well that was a much needed burst. Sexy but tasteful. Could put in more detail if you wanted to. Could expand upon it. But its a great and exciting read as it is. Lovely work.

Matthew

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

14778 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 17 Libraries
Added on April 11, 2011
Last Updated on April 11, 2011

Author

Vanessa Rico
Vanessa Rico

Walhalla, SC



About
Hey writerscafe! Its been a very long hiatus since I have been on here and actively writing. I have missed both writing and this community. When I was first on here, I was a mom of 1 but now I have be.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Vanessa Rico



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Nightsong Nightsong

A Poem by Robin


Night train Night train

A Poem by Robin


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5